Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

buying domains on ebay - NEVER AGAIN!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have bought and sold on ebay.

Infact I have sold reg fee domain names for £500+ a few weeks later on ebay. I find its great for niche domains as you can capture audiences that wouldnt normaly think about having the domain name by simply putting in key words in the title.

I must say that when buying I email in advance to 100 percent make sure they know how to transfer and when selling I make sure the buyer is aware that forms are involved and a 1 off Nominet fee before they bid!

I more worry about getting negative feedback than anything so I make sure everyone is exactly aware of what is going on!! Had no problems so far and I will continue to use ebay to sell the odd domain....

As for Nominet forms I dont have much of a problem with filling them in, the fee does get to me though. Its such a British thing to do isnt it??

Im sure there would be alot more sales on this forum if there was no Nominet fee or even a reduced rate! How annoying is it looking at £20 - £30 domains on here you quite fancy only to know you are going to have to put up another £11 just to get it!

Mat

Well i've just put my first three for sale on there, will let you know how i get on! :???:

Doing a very rough count I have bought about £6500 worth of names via ebay and sold £0.

Only had one problem with someone who 'changed their mind' about selling , after explaining they can either complete forms or go and argue the toss in court the forms turned up :)

It's strange as he seems to have quite a good feedback (99.4% from 9534) ?

Could be someone hacked into his account and selling non-existant goods? (Hackers often do this with ebay accounts)....

Yes thats the bloke - He ought to be fully aware, and I have (again) let him know.

Yes thats the bloke - He ought to be fully aware, and I have (again) let him know.

You might be able to sign up to the eBay VERO programme - then you can get the listings pulled without having to bother the seller with it :)

I look after that side of things for "you know who" Rob and it's fairly easy. Sometimes they take a couple of hours to pull listings, other times they take a few days. It's quite variable but it works.

Would that adversly affect his ebay account? He obviously does alot of trade through it, and would not want to kill that off over what is potentially an innocent mistake.

I have emailed the last time this happened, and via the ebay system a couple of times.

This morning I sent another message which had a 'displayed' read reciept:
Note: This Return Receipt only acknowledges that the message was displayed on the recipient’s computer. There is no guarantee that the recipient has read or understood the message contents.

I think that latter phrase sums it up...

If Nominet processed things properly this name would be on my TAG and I could put a nice notice up, however it is Nominet. Ah well :)

Would that adversly affect his ebay account? He obviously does alot of trade through it, and would not want to kill that off over what is potentially an innocent mistake.

Naah, it just removes the item.

If the seller got an item removed every day I'm sure it would affect his/her account but eBay accept that people occasionally list something that they shouldn't. I've been on the wrong end of a VERO takedown before and it hasn't caused me any trouble.

Naah, it just removes the item.

If the seller got an item removed every day I'm sure it would affect his/her account but eBay accept that people occasionally list something that they shouldn't. I've been on the wrong end of a VERO takedown before and it hasn't caused me any trouble.

Yes,

They just remove the item, tell you why, and instruct how not to do it again.

Ebay auction now removed.

Still awaiting the other page to be edited and an undertaking that they wont be listed again :)

I'm confused, what would he gain by listing other peoples domains?

someone did that to me 2 years ago. I published a list of names for sale, thsi bloke listed 1 on ebay. trick is, if it sells, he knows wot i wanted for it, so he buys it from me and sells on straightaway with his profit on top. I guess he was trying to do the same to Rob, or trying to scam buyers.

BTW, I never got anywhere with the ebay seller, disappeared. Sent letters, managed to get a fone no, no joy.

can Nominet help out? I have reciepts as proof of buying.

I'm not sure nominet can be of any help on this one, think it would need to be a civil court you should head towards although probably jurisdiction may be a issue. Even though you may have a receipt for payment. To Nominet this only means that you have paid "somebody" and not necessarily the owner of the domain.

Even though a court may not be able to hand over the domain, they will be able to enforce costs on the seller, costs that you have lost out on due to the sale falling through. Costs such as the amount you had to pay for a site to be built and graphics made up etc.

Go to HM money claims online and give it a pop, they send him a letter from the court and it will at least shake them up a little.

All the best

GW

Go to HM money claims online and give it a pop, they send him a letter from the court and it will at least shake them up a little.

Agreed,

Most people cack themselves as soon as soon as the letter gets to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members online

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom