Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Can you build a brand on a .net domain?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm interested in whether .net domains can be used as brands (just like .com and .co.uk domains). Can anyone list successful online brands that have used .net domains, or specifically exact-match domain sites?

The only one that I've really seen or can remember is BuyMobilePhones.net.

It can be done with a domain naturally associated with 'Networks' as a service or 'key component'

Outside of that your really looking for the strongest of 'generics' just to have a kudos factor. (.NET dosen't have the natural associates that for instance .*org encompasses)

*My reference to .org being Global and way outside our local .ORG .UK usage

Last edited:
Yes.

I own Bathrooms.net (done zip with it)

If bathrooms.com ever gets around to launching in US then perhaps some traffic/brand value would be lost but I'd say a brand.net can work in the UK but better in the US where .net is 2nd best.

I'm not biased.

I have worthing.net - a geo about Worthing, pp 98,000 - and having done very little with it for a couple of years it's starting to do well. Maybe not the best site in the world, which sort of underlines that it can be done.

As a general point

There are lots of words which have more than one application, or which are popular as proper names.

eg Bath, Sprint

Where the .com or .co.uk is already developed as a different application of that word, a second tier extension like .org or .net can become a good brand.

Also if the .com or .co.uk is a really poor site with virtually no incoming links then you have a chance to bypass it with a good site on a second tier extension.

Branding wise, I haven't done too badly with experienced-people/net

Almost everybody who's anybody in website buying and selling (listing locations, brokers, escrow companies, site flippers etc) know about it.

However, if you're talking Nike, KFC type brands, they either pay the price and buy out the dot com or brand on a dot com that's slightly different to their trademark. They tend to not start out online with a .net.

heres some more popular websites,

the chinese seem to prefer redirecting .net to .com

admagnet and pchome look to originally be launched on .net but trying to change to their .com

slideshare.net
themeforest.net
sourceforge.net
eu.battle.net

admagnet.net - 552 Alexa
taringa.net - 181 Alexa
gmx.net - 268 Alexa
xfinity.comcast.net - 179 Alexa
php.net - 230 Alexa
2ch.net - 329 Alexa
csdn.net - 254 Alexa
vnexpress.net - 391 Alexa
pchome.net - 405 Alexa
commentcamarche.net - 385 Alexa
daum.net - 266 Alexa
39.net - 399 Alexa

Yep agree with Edwin - though my comment about 'networks' was a focus point

Suppose you sold purely as Network (Internet) based service. 'Apps' being a pretty good example. (No land based anything) Then .Net should stand on Good ground. 'In Theory and Maybe' (The association at work)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members online

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom