Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Changing Tag to 123-reg is so much trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Finally a name was caught for me by dropcatcher and had the tag changed to 123-reg, but now they need me to proof that I am me and fax them a proof.

This is happening so many times, getting tired of this, going to use heartinternet from now on.

Had to read that 4 times, you want to change a tag "To" 123-reg :D

You obviously haven't been screwed over by them yet them, mate Heart is first class. Had a few probs but they are quickly onto them and treat you A++++

All the best
GW

Had to read that 4 times, you want to change a tag "To" 123-reg :D

You obviously haven't been screwed over by them yet them, mate Heart is first class. Had a few probs but they are quickly onto them and treat you A++++

All the best
GW

Now you're getting me worried.... what do you meant screwed by them??? should I transfer all to heartinternet?

Changing the TAG to any registrar is the same automaton/EPP command - it takes seconds.

You can even do it online now via Nominet Registrants online for £10 + VAT.

So the dropcatcher/registrar is the one slowing the process down requiring the proof.

Last time I checked 123-reg didn't screw anyone and Support will always refund you.

Any problems PM me.

no actually it had changed tag to 123-reg really quickly no problems from dropcatcher, just that now 123-reg tells me this domain is in another 123-reg customer's account, that's the problem of catching expired names.

Ahh that is different. That is not to do with the tag, that is just a user account cross over issue. Once you proove that you are the new owner of the domain they will move it into your 123 reg account. Standard anywhere really.

I find moving .com domains away from 123 reg to be the tough part as you can't get the auth token code from the control panel, you have to contact them which is a pain in the ass. Though it's been a few months since I moved anything out so not sure if that is still the case.

These days I sit everything with omnis and have had no issues in around 3 years.

yeah but because so much people s using 123-reg, this problem is so common.

Lucky I don't reg .com with 123-reg, but I do have a couple .co.uk with Godaddy, and getting them to transfer will be a long process.

Also got one annoying .me.uk with Names.co.uk (my 1st domain) annoying transfer out fees and high renewal cost!!! but I don't wanna drop it :(

I find moving .com domains away from 123 reg to be the tough part as you can't get the auth token code from the control panel, you have to contact them which is a pain in the ass. Though it's been a few months since I moved anything out so not sure if that is still the case.

This feature has now been added and you can email yourself the auth code.

no actually it had changed tag to 123-reg really quickly no problems from dropcatcher, just that now 123-reg tells me this domain is in another 123-reg customer's account, that's the problem of catching expired names.

How would you suggest 123-reg fixes this problem? I can think of only two ways:

1. Have a script that deletes a domain from the database when the domain is set to 'cancel' and reaches 99 days past the renewal date.

2. Use the List command and set date to 'all' and then delete domains not on the list but in the 123-reg database - however the lists are very large (over a million) and would take a long time.

2. Use the List command and set date to 'all' and then delete domains not on the list but in the 123-reg database.

That would be a fun bit of code :)

How many trillion names do you run again!?!?

How would you suggest 123-reg fixes this problem? I can think of only two ways:

1. Have a script that deletes a domain from the database when the domain is set to 'cancel' and reaches 99 days past the renewal date.

It's a while since I've looked at the 123-reg control panel, but if the customer chooses to opt out of the automatic renewal, then I'd simply delete the records that have expired, given the number of domains that must be held I guess it will save quite a bit of database space while you're at it.

It's a while since I've looked at the 123-reg control panel, but if the customer chooses to opt out of the automatic renewal, then I'd simply delete the records that have expired, given the number of domains that must be held I guess it will save quite a bit of database space while you're at it.

Where's that "opt out of automatic option" button?

previous support guy just reset the domains and let me transfer with no problem, well this guy got a bit fussy, where am I going to get a fax machine?

any way can I fax via e-mail? like fax online?

P.S. My NEW sig :D

Now you're getting me worried.... what do you meant screwed by them??? should I transfer all to heartinternet?

lol, they send you bills for domains you think have been renewed and yet then drop with nominet because nom not told. Domains just drop out of your account and disappear.

Keep your own record if you are with 123-reg as chances are you will have lost one by now.

Where's that "opt out of automatic option" button?

previous support guy just reset the domains and let me transfer with no problem, well this guy got a bit fussy, where am I going to get a fax machine?

any way can I fax via e-mail? like fax online?

P.S. My NEW sig :D

Login into control panel > scroll down to manage domains > click on "Allow domains to expire".

Why do you need to send a fax? Scan it and email it as a pdf OpenOffice.org ?

lol, they send you bills for domains you think have been renewed and yet then drop with nominet because nom not told. Domains just drop out of your account and disappear.

Keep your own record if you are with 123-reg as chances are you will have lost one by now.

That case was a one off - Nominet actually admitted it was their mistake (problem with allocation of payment): http://www.acorndomains.co.uk/domai...g-nominet-check-you-domains-2.html#post117231

Nominet give registrars credit and you have to pay it off within 30 days:
Fees

Sorry my fault on that one didn't know that, I just remember reg'ing a few from scratch and being billed but not being registered with someone else coming in and taking it, happened a few times although nothing to valuable if above reg fee so wasn't too bothered.

Although not 100% sure it was all the same instance, as I remember Lee Owen complaining about it over a couple of months in addition to several of mine over a period of time.

All the best
GW

when can you renew a .co.uk, I better do it early....

Thanks Whois-Search, but they haven't given me the e-mail I should send it to, Their support team do take their time....

123reg

now.......123 not too bad , if you do not want domains renewed automatic.....remove your card details , just put in when you renew each time , one good point I found about 123 is that they give you a little leeway after expiry time , where other well known biz, do auto cut off within 24 hours.......zee

I'd agree with Zee, 123-reg (providing it gets renewd which it did in 99% of cases) has th best renewal system and as far as I know you can let them run up until they drop before renewing. Heart you have to renew on day or have them drop from your account, even though you have the 90 days after.

Nah 123-Reg's current trick is, they let you register a domain, tell you its registered and all 'looks ok', they take the money then they dont bother registering the domain. Its only when someone offers to sell you a domain that you already registered weeks before, that you find out they havent registered it, even tho its in your control panel.

When you ask them whats going on, they blame you because in the 4-5 yrs you have registered god knows many domains with them, that your account info is wrong because they don't really care enough to validate it.

I'm moving everything away from 123-Reg and taking everyone I know with me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom