Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Cheeky Ba**ards!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our position on the direct tax established by Transport for London in 2003, more commonly known as the congestion charge, is based on the 1960 Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations, which prohibits the direct taxation of diplomatic missions.

Their excuse is ridiculous, this is not a direct taxation at all.

He will tell him aswell, I can just see it Boris jumping the security barrier and falling over and doing a roley poley :lol:

He needs a megaphone, he should take John Prescott with him to make Obama pay up !

Brewsters you're right CHEEKY B*ST*RDS ! :mad:

'No representation without a congestion charge' is the slogan. Can't say fairer than that.

Their excuse is ridiculous, this is not a direct taxation at all.

I agree with the Americans - its 100% a tax. The UK just doesn't want to call it one. No way should they be paying it.

Why not? I have to.

If your argument is that embassies should pay every tax, then fair enough.

The whole system is based around the embassy stuff being immune to laws and taxes. As far as I can see it, congestion "charge" is just a tax with a new name, so they shouldn't have to pay it.

I can see an argument for having the embassy building and land exempt from taxes, but if they staff are going to drive cars round parts of the UK, it should be the same deal for them as anyone else.

Reminds me of a joke!

Man talking to his blond wife, "do you know those cars that show diplomatic plates don't have to stop at the scene of an accident andcan't be done for speeding"

Blonde wife replies "wow, those plates must be expensive!"

My point is that their excuse is wrong:

The London congestion charge is a fee for motorists travelling within the Congestion Charge Zone (CCZ), a traffic area in London. The charge aims to reduce congestion, and raise investment funds for London's transport system. The zone was introduced in central London on 17 February 2003, and extended into parts of west London on 19 February 2007. Though not the first scheme of its kind in the United Kingdom, it was the largest when introduced, and it remains one of the largest in the world. Several cities around the world have referenced London's congestion charge when considering their own schemes.

The term direct tax generally means a tax paid directly to the government by the persons on whom it is imposed.

In the United States, the term "direct tax" has a different meaning for the purposes of constitutional law. Traditionally, a direct tax in the constitutional sense means a tax on property "by reason of its ownership"

This doesn't add up, they aren't being taxed for the property. They are being taxed for the cars parked outside the property.

If your argument is that embassies should pay every tax, then fair enough.

The whole system is based around the embassy stuff being immune to laws and taxes. As far as I can see it, congestion "charge" is just a tax with a new name, so they shouldn't have to pay it.

Yes, that is what my argument is - why should they be allowed to decide what they want to pay.

Yes, that is what my argument is - why should they be allowed to decide what they want to pay.

Because they are already paying tax in the USA, why should they be taxed in 2 countries at one time?

Remember it works both ways - British staff in every embassy around the world are not paying tax there either, they are paying it to the UK taxman...

Because they are already paying tax in the USA, why should they be taxed in 2 countries at one time?

Remember it works both ways - British staff in every embassy around the world are not paying tax there either, they are paying it to the UK taxman...

Parking tickets; if they want to park one of their vehicles in London should they pay for a parking ticket?

Parking tickets; if they want to park one of their vehicles in London should they pay for a parking ticket?

I would say so yeah, as I don't see that as being any different to the council providing a service for payment, like paying to go swimming or something :)

I just don't see the congestion tax as that - its a blanket tax applied to everyone in that area, but given a more palatable name so they will swallow it.

I would say so yeah, as I don't see that as being any different to the council providing a service for payment, like paying to go swimming or something :)

I just don't see the congestion tax as that - its a blanket tax applied to everyone in that area, but given a more palatable name so they will swallow it.

Not quite - only to anyone who wishes to drive a vehicle in that area.

Ah I didn't realise we were not taxed oversea's, this would have repercussions on our embassies so I think it probably should be over looked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

Sponsors

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel

Sponsors

Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

Shiny Nuts