Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Content that's not mine being shown?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I bought a domain name, changed the registrar to mine, changed the nameservers to mine, uploaded some content to xxxxx.com & xxxxx.yyyyy.co.uk, it shows up on the latter but not the former. Tried 3 re-upload's, all don't appear to have worked. Please read below for the full picture.

I have purchased a domain name .co.uk, went through the nominet transfer procedure to end up with it at my selected registrar (domainmonster), and the ability to access/change it by the control panel.

I set my own nameservers to my host, and was able to upload files to both the domain name (xxxxxxxxxx.co.uk), and the subdomain name on another site (xxxxxxxxxx.yyyyyyyy.co.uk). However, when I visit xxxxxxxxxx.co.uk, I land on the page that was there previous to my purchase. I've waited around 6 hour's for this to change, but it hasn't. Strangely I can access the xxxxxxxxxx.yyyyyyyy.co.uk version fine. It's like the other version is still being projected on my domain despite changed host & registar. When I visit files I only see my files, not any of the potential old ones (though I didn't think they'd end up there). Can you guy's advise on what to do?

I've not encountered this trouble before :?

I'm a little bit confused, but nameservers can take up to 24 hours to actually change as far as I'm aware so maybe it hasn't actually changed yet?

That's possible. It changed in whois and the xxxxxxxx.yyyyyy.co.uk changed led me to assume that it's all changed. They both happened at the same time (roughly 5 mins after 1st upload) :-/

The site redirects you to "secureapi.com/(random letters/numbers)"

I'll give it the night, but it's making me real nervous.

I tried a few proxy's and one showed up as the default nameservers (the domain host..), but all the others timed out. I found a interesting related article on the web about it, with the exact same problem, they found out they had 2 different name servers, which I don't :(

Probably DNS..

Open up a command prompt (Start > Run > "cmd.exe" > OK).
Type in the command "ipconfig /flushdns" (no quotes)

This will clear out any cached IPs on your PC.

Also clear your browser's cache / temp internet files for good measure.

* It won't clear the cache of the upstream server however.. This also will cache the DNS entry.

You'll need to use another connection if you don't want to wait.

Not quite sure what you mean but does sound like DNS problem not that uncommon

Have you Pinged it tells you if the connection between your computer and a particular domain is working correctly and the destination ip that server of your ISP has ( if your using a ftp program to upload your site you often put in the destination ip which it will then access this doesnt mean the rest of the world is seeing the same ip as the domains destination

Start > Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt.
Enter the word "ping" followed by a space, then the domainname.co.uk
START > RUN > Command Prompt > ping follwed by a space then domaninname.co.uk
START > RUN > cmd.exe > ping follwed by a space then domaninname.co.uk
http://www.mediacollege.com/internet/troubleshooter/ping.html

Your ISP should flush the DNS of there servers hourly but some do some don't

Then tracert
Start > Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt.
Enter the word "tracert" followed by a space, then the domainname.co.uk
Or START > RUN > cmd.exe > tracert followed by a space then domaninname.co.uk
It gives information about each router it passes through on the way to its destination
http://www.mediacollege.com/internet/troubleshooter/traceroute.html
You can then contact your ISP they might be able to assist
Leafdns.com is also quite handy to see if there are any problems were your domain resolves etc

Last edited:
DNS can take a while to update, some ISP's run caching proxy servers with long cache times, so you really need to allow 24-48 hours.

Thats exactly right, you need to allow up to 48 hours for full propogation. I notice it all the time from here in Greece, its usually delayed a day or so, whereas if I turn on my UK VPN I see what I'm supposed to.

Wow, thank's for all the help guy's :)

I used the route checker, and I end up directed at a crazy domains parking page, crazy domains being the registrar that had used the domain before me.

Checked some other domain names by the same seller and most of the sold ones have this parking page still. I was getting suspicious, but researching crazy domains indicates they are based in austrailia, and my domain registrar (domain monster), is in the US (which works, most of my sites are US...)

I asked a few people around the world to check the website and answer as to what they see & they are all still seeing the parking page - even a friend in Autrailia.

I think it's worth releasing the domain name for you guy's to see what's going on:

www.deleteaccount.co.uk - Can you guy's also tell me what it looks like for you guy's?

I see:

3338pza.png

When I should see:

vpf77n.png

[I changed my ISP to a 3 mobile stick... same result]

Thanks so much guy's

Looks like the second example to me - the actual website and not the holding page.

I'm seeing the bottom one with the five boxes that move and jump around making me want to hit someone.

2nd, shiny one here...sounds like your ISP needs to catch up perhaps. Not Orange by any chance is it?!

Thanks for all the replies guy's, I think the problems solved!

The 3 stick I was using to connect rather then my usual ISP (sky - don't kill me for it, its the best in the area), seems to not have cleared cache, whilst sky, at the same time as me stopping looking at the pages, updated, but chrome kept the domain as a type-in link to the holding page.

Once I cleared cookies/cache after using 3 I now see it all fine on sky, still not flushed on 3 though.

Thanks very much to all, I guess it's ISP cache'ing up (grin) that's caused all this problem.

About the box thing.. I kind of have to agree... do you guys prefer this one?

2a6nukw.png

:D On another note, I'll close the thread soon, as the problem is resolved thanks to you guys :D

Ref Chrome - I often find it won't update site changes (especially changed .css files) etc unless you clear it out and force a refresh (CTRL + F5 etc). Must be a Chrome thing....

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members online

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom