Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Did wordpress kill my site?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I built a site with Dreamweaver, basic html / css stuff, and it ranked on the first page of google for 'home waxing kits'

Look what happened when I moved it over to wordpress...

I even added more content and articles (original stuff) and it still got hit.

hws.png

Did you redirect the URLs of all your existing pages? Or, preferably, change your WordPress settings so the page URLs stayed the same?

Seems odd - usually it would have the opposite effect!

Did you redirect the URLs of all your existing pages? Or, preferably, change your WordPress settings so the page URLs stayed the same?

This is what I'm hoping I did wrong. If it is, then the site might climb back up before too long.

I put an html redirect on the old html pages to the new WP ones, then I got worried about it being hit for duplicate content, so I just deleted all the old html ones.

I may have been a bit foolish :oops:

Might be too late now, but there is a plugin which adds a .html tag onto page endings to if you had: /contact/ you can make it look: contact.html

I think it's this one:
http://www.introsites.co.uk/wordpress/html-on-pages-plugin.html

I've used it on a few sites and it matches the url exactly - you obviously have to have post name (/%postname%/) on, then amend once your page title has been put in to match what was there originally.

Better solution than redirecting.

"Wordpress" won't have killed your site, as such, but the new template and whatnot could have.

Scale back the optimisation of the homepage as it's very heavily "home waxing" orientated at the moment, to the point I actually think it's working against you. Change the footer link anchor text to something other than straight up "Home Waxing". I'd also add a bit more to the main H1 tag (you have multiple on the first page, by the way). "Home Waxing Guide" or something.

You should also either kill these pages or, at the very least, prevent them being indexed. https://www.google.co.uk/search?sou...+remove+excess+hair+and+shape+their+eyebrows"

A plugin like Yoast's will help with this: http://yoast.com/wordpress/seo/

Might be too late now, but there is a plugin which adds a .html tag onto page endings to if you had: /contact/ you can make it look: contact.html

I think it's this one:
http://www.introsites.co.uk/wordpress/html-on-pages-plugin.html

I've used it on a few sites and it matches the url exactly - you obviously have to have post name (/%postname%/) on, then amend once your page title has been put in to match what was there originally.

Better solution than redirecting.

It's definitely worth doing.

This is what I'm hoping I did wrong. If it is, then the site might climb back up before too long.

I put an html redirect on the old html pages to the new WP ones, then I got worried about it being hit for duplicate content, so I just deleted all the old html ones.

I may have been a bit foolish :oops:
A 301 redirect is to tell Google your page has moved and thus prevent duplicate content issues, not create them.

In your .htaccess add:

redirect 301 youroldpage.html yournewpage

Had a site effectively deleted for 2 weeks. Put it back up and all the traffic came back and more - that's happened twice now. So don't panic, it would be the redirects that cost you; i would definitely advise speaking to an SEO when it comes to substantial site changes (content, URLs, link structure etc)

Add a 404 tracking plugin like "404 Not found report" and at least you will be able to see what's going on

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom