Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

DMOZ - Am I wasting my time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Well! The subject title probably says it all!!

I've submit my site which is completely related to the category (a personalised gift shop in the personalised gifts category) a couple of times, not in quick succession and I feel like my submission is either being ignored or it's not being moderated.

Is there a possibility one of my competitors is moderating the category, because that's what i've started wondering.

My site has no affiliate links/banners or products.

I'm also in the same position for a site which is focused on wedding products, simply cannot get listed.

Has anyone reading this ever been accepted?

Thanks
Roy

That's a possibility i suppose.

I remember reading about this before actually, a lot of people think that the only way of getting listed is by knowing/paying a moderator. Don't know if that's true but I wouldn't be surprised.

I only tried to get listed a few times but never heard anything back, it's probably a waste of time.

If you don't get in don't worry...it's getting harder and harder to get in there, and like Jamie said it's not exactly ethical.

AboutUs.org is a great directory, and I've never had a problem getting sites in there. Much less competition too.

If applicable, submit to a Regional category instead.

I've had a couple of sites accepted in the last couple of months so it is possible (and a couple not yet accepted too).

It's all a bit random and there's not much you can do to get round it (other than trying a different category or two). There are quite a lot of sites that have multiple dmoz entries (often with deep links to a subsection of their site). You could try that.

And if dmoz don't like you breaching their T&Cs there's not a lot they can do to hurt you if they haven't given you a listing in the first place.

Last edited:
You are submitting your site to your local directory section aka Essex aren't you?

The higher the category you try to list the more likely you will be rejected.

Also, it takes months for them to get round to review you. You have to submit and forget. But submiting to the right category in the first place is crucial.

It certainly is possible a competitor may be moderating a section, I know this because a former business collegue of mine has been a DMOZ editor for over ten years and makes a point of keeping his major competitors out of his sections, although he does have to approve some submissions, he makes sure the ones he approves are 'weak' or no competition to his business.

I remember him laughing about it once when he was telling me, but I told him that his actions make something like DMOZ a complete waste of time for honest users.

It may not be happening with your application, they may just be taking a long time, but yes, it does happen.

You are submitting your site to your local directory section aka Essex aren't you?

The higher the category you try to list the more likely you will be rejected.

Also, it takes months for them to get round to review you. You have to submit and forget. But submiting to the right category in the first place is crucial.

Thanks for your input - i'm submitting to: http://www.dmoz.org/Regional/Europe/United_Kingdom/Business_and_Economy/Shopping/Gifts/Personalised/

This where my competitors are listed.

It's worth trying to get in DMoz, but don't be upset if you dont get in. Move on and garner other good quality links.

I've submitted sites in the past, never got anywhere over the years.

I tried again with one yesterday though, we'll see! :D

Good luck with that.

In my opinion, some categories are monopolised by competitors who are editors and don't let anyone in. I've had emails in the past from people saying they can get you in for a fee, but that's probably not the norm for most categories.

Good luck with that.

In my opinion, some categories are monopolised by competitors who are editors and don't let anyone in. I've had emails in the past from people saying they can get you in for a fee, but that's probably not the norm for most categories.

Be interesting - it's a ten year old site, submitted to the correct category and I've followed the instructions to the letter. ;)

We submitted a site to dmoz around 2 to 3 weeks, having just checked we have got in. The Supernatural section :).

Regards,
Stacey

We submitted a site to dmoz around 2 to 3 weeks, having just checked we have got in. The Supernatural section :).

Regards,
Stacey

Well done :)

I decided to submit a few sites a few days after this thread was made an so far none of them have been added.

I've - read in a different forum - advice to drill down to regional categories; the guy found it helped his sites get listed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members online

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom