Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Domainlore "previously sold for"

Reaction score
I don't tend to visit Domainlore much these days, but this was the first time I noticed "Previously sold for" data.

Checking this domain out on domainsaleshistory.uk shows that it was previously sold on Domainlore, so it's good to see that Deny's is using the data he has at his disposal to enhance the listings.

Screenshot 2023-11-28 at 11.43.07.png

Screenshot 2023-11-28 at 11.41.45.png

Not sure whether that's a good or bad thing to point that out to the buyer...

Not sure whether that's a good or bad thing to point that out to the buyer...

Over the years, I've received plenty of feedback on both sides of that fence regarding domainsaleshistory.uk

My opinion on data and 'users': Use it or don't. Nobody is forcing you.

Fundamentally, the value of a domain name will always be defined by what both a buyer and a seller deem acceptable to them.

As a buyer or seller, historic sales data can be used to help justify in your mind what said domain's value is, based on varying criteria, and you can attempt to use that educated knowledge to negotiate the end price.

Domains like this one though - the value is in the link profile and history rather than how premium the domain name is aesthetically, which adds another level of complexity.

I think for this one they could list the UK trademarks associated with it as well.

I think for this one they could list the UK trademarks associated with it as well.

But that is hardly going to help the seller sell it, and neither is it in the platform's interest to be admitting that they are aware of a potential trademark conflict but still facilitated the domain's sale.

At the end of the day it's a case of caveat emptor. The value conferred by an SEO domain is due to its history and its remnant link profile. If you're willing to pay over the odds for an otherwise worthless domain, in the hope that you can benefit from its link profile, then you should at least put in a little time to know what you are buying and who previously owned it. At the very least you will need to know this to ensure that any content you put on it cannot be construed as passing off as the previous registrant.

@webber Thanks, I know that old auctions are visible, I was interested in how you would find the auction ID for old auctions when the name has been relisted as @seemly described. Presume the old auction ID's aren't published and you would need to have a record of it?

Last edited:
That's what I said...
because while an auction is ongoing, the DL history page is not available

I guess @seemly could tweak his code to crawl the DL history page after each auction and store the link with the auction_id for each sale.
Currently the "View Sales Page" links for all these sales are actually the same link and point only to the latest auction on DL.
Might be a fair bit of work though, so you might need to buy him a few coffees for that...

Google doesn't seem to crawl and cache these DL history pages, despite being allowed by robots.txt
Archive.org does cache some of these, but a lot less frequently as you can see here

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members online

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom