Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

DomCollect Sued along with 1&1 for HiJacking domains

Status
Not open for further replies.
They claimed they had expired, yet the whois never reset with a new reg date. They where just renewed for an extra year while they tested traffic. I was with 1and1 and when they hijacked they kept them at 1and1.
Are we talking about .com or another generic TLD ?
Expiring domains are auto-renewed with the registry, the registrar has up to 45 days to cancel the renewal and let the domain in redemption. Otherwise the name would enter redemption from day one, and it would be more expensive to renew.
You normally have a grace period of some sort, but read the terms carefully.
By the way many other registrars auction off expired domains (these are know as prerelease) domains.

Wow, interesting stuff. I must admit i'm surpised there isn't a lot more of these conflicts around. However showing you renewed them prior to Expiry or ownership transferred within the current registration period would make it 'cut and dry'

I have a good relationship with Godaddy - (only because of my personal account manager) but the've played around with so called recovery periods so often that you wonder if they have a "maximum" capitilisation chart on a constant rolling update

Best of luck with this! A thread to keep a close eye on!

1&1 has got a bad reputation for domains anyway + confusing procedures.

What are the domains in question ?

Why don't you post the domains, if you say they are "stolen" potential buyers need to be alerted.

Check out 1andDom.com For Our FULL Press Release!

Coming soon.

Last edited:
Well now I feel lucky that I managed to transfer out the few domains I had there - which wasn't easy. Maybe my domains weren't good enough to steal? But they did renew a domain I did not want renewed, what a headache.

I have read before about 1and1 taking domains when the owner wants to transfer them out - I guess you need screenshots of everything in your account there before you unlock a domain or even just when you renew it.

I tell everyone to stay away from 1and1 no matter what.

Fasthosts allow DomCollect to taste traffic on expiring .uk's as well, I don't renew most of my names until the 7 day notice but noticed a handful recently that had the dns names changed to domcollect.com

F******g pisses me right off as when I renew the name I have to go in and change the dns back again. have asked fasthosts why but never get a reply.

In fact I'm going to ask them again now..................

BTW Fasthosts is owed by all of the same companies that are involved with our hijacks so i am far from surprised: http://www.united-internet.de/BrandsFasthosts

Just checking - they don't own the company that bought Moniker do they?

Glad to see someone do something about 1 and 1. When I had problems with them I googled phrases like "1 and 1 sucks" and wow did I find results, I can't believe they are still in business. Maybe they hit each person for an amount they are willing to lose and so no one really takes action?

I did get them to refund a wrong charge but it was a real effort, they keep fobbing you off and sending you to the wrong place.

It might be interesting if you did a page listing - and linking to - all those sites and blogs discussing probs with 1 and 1 - I found some people that I tried to warn about 1 and 1 were very sceptical, they need to see what a big problem it is.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members online

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom