Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Dropping 15th August

Status
Not open for further replies.
DB said:
Lee, whats the use in putting up drops a day late? do you read day old news papers?

Admin has always done a 'what's left from today's pickings' list either at night or the day after, either that or a lot of his list make ups are similar to what deleting chuck up. A person isn't going to donate to a forum that works against them, what part of that don't you understand? people know where to look, go and look, there's no need to have it here as well.

Domain tasting is part of it.

Basically if leeowen.co.uk is going tomorrow either:

-the in form catcher nabs the name.
-the slower catchers nab the name
-people who reg manually who knew it was going get 3rd
-people who look at 'free to reg' lists are 4th
- 5th 'go' is for Lee Owen of Skegness who checks the domain daily / weekly and bangs in a register request via his ISP.

There was always a repeat of 3-5 if the domain was deleted for whatever reason (not always traffic tasting!).

I cannot see how it is not 'playing fair' to post lists, surely everyone having a level playing field with knowing what is going is a step in the right direction?

As with everything todo with catching, if you miss out on the name it is unfair, and if it makes things tougher its unfair.

Bear in mind 'Mucking it up' for you is also creating opportunities for someone else.

LeeOwen said:
Admin has always done a 'what's left from today's pickings' list either at night or the day after, either that or a lot of his list make ups are similar to what deleting chuck up. A person isn't going to donate to a forum that works against them, what part of that don't you understand? people know where to look, go and look, there's no need to have it here as well.
Lee,

I would like to understand why you think I am 'working against you'..... if anything, we are trying to help forum members catch more names, not less.

rob said:
- 5th 'go' is for Lee Owen of Skegness who checks the domain daily / weekly and bangs in a register request via his ISP.

I have not laughed that much in ages Rob, Thank you :mrgreen:

Yup - my point is that there could be several 'legit' owners of a domain, but who is to decide who gets the name first?

I am all for a level playing field, but only one entity can own a name and there is a hierarchy of who gets what and as long as you are not top of the tree there will be a grievance about the system.

Re mucking it up, I did use the word competitive. The point here isn't about posting lists alone, it's about me paying £10 a month to support a forum that supplies lists that are coming direct from another source making it more competitive. Let people look there for crying out loud and sort things out for themselves.

I know what domain testing is and I don't care, I've already said that if you want a domain then buy it, if you don't then don't buy it. And I also know the order of opportunity, you also have to throw into the mix the choosing of domains and the need at that time, giving most a second look will see more taken by DAC users.

I don't think anyone should know what's dropping but with reg dates it was always going to happen. Post lists, do what you like, make it competitive, make it unfair, fair or play dirty, I don't care really, just saying I aint spending £10 to see others get lists that are available elsewhere ahead of a drop, post them after. Enough said.

DB said:
I have not laughed that much in ages Rob, Thank you :mrgreen:

I don't get it, at most I'd get one or two tags to catch it for me. Also if I wanted my domain I'd have bought it in 1998 but I've never been that vain.

admin said:
Lee,

I would like to understand why you think I am 'working against you'..... if anything, we are trying to help forum members catch more names, not less.

Well let them go to deleting and have a search and look for themselves.

rob said:
Yup - my point is that there could be several 'legit' owners of a domain, but who is to decide who gets the name first?

I am all for a level playing field, but only one entity can own a name and there is a hierarchy of who gets what and as long as you are not top of the tree there will be a grievance about the system.

Eh? I know all this, what are you going on about? you're not harping on about domain tasting again are you? the rules are in place, job done, buy it, don't buy it. No one cares. We're talking about lists lifted from deleting posted on here in advance, copy and post them after the day's action if need be.

And those with their own lists should keep them until the day is over, give those who were actively after the domain a chance, then release your lists for scraps. I've paid my £10 so no one is going to get a donation unless I'm really chuffed.

Last edited:
LeeOwen said:
just saying I aint spending £10 to see others get lists that are available elsewhere ahead of a drop, post them after. Enough said.

wtf? So basically the tenner a month is hush money to admin not to supply your competitors with info you have elsewhere? Or is it payment for the lists?

There are other lists here as well, not just Admin created ones. When I have posted lists it is in the hope that someone can find a gem in the dust either out of my deleted names or none renewals and have not expected a penny (infact suggested donations to Admin).

Personally I think the tenner a month is a supportive donation rather than paying for a specific service.

I don't get it, at most I'd get one or two tags to catch it for me. Also if I wanted my domain I'd have bought it in 1998 but I've never been that vain.

It was an example name, however if in a position to make such a choice in 1998 it is a shame you didnt reg other names ;)

LeeOwen said:
We're talking about lists lifted from deleting posted on here in advance, copy and post them after the day's action if need be.

Lists lifted from deleting? I am sure deleting are not the only people making drop lists, and I am sure Admin has not done a copy and paste job.

My point is that you have a grievance about future drops being posted as it might mean you miss out on drops. You missing out on drops means someone else is getting the name. As the domains are listed here I am guessing the other person getting the name is also forking out a whopping tenner a month , so who deserves the name more?

Is this all hypothetical or have you actually missed names as a result? As I cannot believe anyone who has more than a passing interest in catching is not aware of deleting.co.uk ?!

One further thing to bear in mind is deleting.co.uk's lists are far from comprehensive so with Admin's own lists it could be unearthing names you wouldnt even know existed ;)

rob said:
wtf? So basically the tenner a month is hush money to admin not to supply your competitors with info you have elsewhere? Or is it payment for the lists?

There are other lists here as well, not just Admin created ones. When I have posted lists it is in the hope that someone can find a gem in the dust either out of my deleted names or none renewals and have not expected a penny (infact suggested donations to Admin).

Personally I think the tenner a month is a supportive donation rather than paying for a specific service.

No, I'm saying I won't support the forum if it's acting against me, I'm sure I'm saying it clear enough. Look, I've said what I've said, no need to twist it. Leave your lists until the end of the day and let people do the work they need to do, but if you just want to make things easier for those passing by or just looking in or don't post or another DAC user getting a second chance, do it, doesn't mean I'll agree and support the forum though.

rob said:
It was an example name, however if in a position to make such a choice in 1998 it is a shame you didnt reg other names ;)

Lists lifted from deleting? I am sure deleting are not the only people making drop lists, and I am sure Admin has not done a copy and paste job.

Just a coincidence then.

rob said:

My point is that you have a grievance about future drops being posted as it might mean you miss out on drops. You missing out on drops means someone else is getting the name. As the domains are listed here I am guessing the other person getting the name is also forking out a whopping tenner a month , so who deserves the name more?

Is this all hypothetical or have you actually missed names as a result? As I cannot believe anyone who has more than a passing interest in catching is not aware of deleting.co.uk ?!

One further thing to bear in mind is deleting.co.uk's lists are far from comprehensive so with Admin's own lists it could be unearthing names you wouldnt even know existed ;)

So post them at the end of the day and let us unearth the wonders of the world then.

Just a coincidence then.

Not really as probably using similar sources. However as stated above, deleting is hardly comprehensive.

LeeOwen said:
So post them at the end of the day and let us unearth the wonders of the world then.

Why? So another forum member cannot beat you to a name?!

Why do you have more right over the other person (or people) to the names?

LeeOwen said:
I'm saying I won't support the forum if it's acting against me

Oh well, I dont think you will be missed.

Last edited:
rob said:
Not really as probably using similar sources. However as stated above, deleting is hardly comprehensive.

Why? So another forum member cannot beat you to a name?!

Why do you have more right over the other person (or people) to the names?

You keep on don't you, as if your brain doesn't understand, I mentioned the words competitive and paying for someone to be competitive against me. So yes, obviously. At least you understand. I'll go back to making a donation when I get a domain and cancel the £10 a month.

most people can look up on deleting or use their own lists. In the current state of competition i dont think it really matters. People will still plumb for the same names and the same TAGs will get them ;) - for the others that only have personal value, you'll have the same chance as before because a domain name to one bloke is dirt to another and only those people who spend time and money on their drop catching arrangements/scripts had a chance anyway. ;)

He wont listen Charlie, He will argue until this thread is 20 pages long.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom