Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

emails to companies about domains

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Just a quick one!

Anyone got an email they have sent to companies saying "Hey i have a great domain for you, and you should buy or rent it"

Maybe not as blunt as that but just wondered as I'm about to do a bit of proactive selling me thinks.

Cheers

GDG

Hi Golddigger,

I asked the same on the forum recently, someone posted this email to use in contacting end users, edit it as required:

Dear Sirs,

We are selling the domain domain.co.uk. This is the very first time since 1996 that this important domain has ever been available on the open market. The domain is currently on sale for just £875 + VAT.

Savvy players such as B&Q with their diy.com, British Gas with their gas.co.uk or Lloyds TSB with their insurance.co.uk domains have for many years reaped enormous rewards and marketing kudos from owning THE prime generic domains that define their respective industries. Nothing in the mindset of the public is more memorable than a domain that "does exactly what it says on the tin"!

Furthermore, most of our clients are now finding that prime domains such as this pay for themselves within weeks rather than months by virtue of the extra business that they drive to their websites by means of type in traffic and greatly enhanced search engine positions.

Please feel free to get in touch if this is of interest.

Best regards,

You

ScottJ put a rough outline of such a letter on one of his SelfMadeMinds posts. Or it may have been in relation to domain leasing.

Either way, the wording would be fairly similar.

I think the key is to not go into a long spiel about why they should want to buy the domain. Stick to the key advantages, and leave the rest to them. I assume we're talking about generics here? The advantages should be obvious to most.

How are you going about finding potential buyers?

Loving the example above - looks like a vintage Chris Holland version thats been 'borrowed' many a time :)c

Yes it is, when the member posted it here, they said:

This was given to me by Chris Holland, never used it though:

Who's Chris Holland then?

Chris Holland is one of the old school catcher. Uses the tag CHC i think it is.

He's still around. Recent post on here was him selling generic.co.uk and some other. Search the forum :)

Proactive sending an email…..?????? ;)You’ll be putting them on auction sites next …:shock:

Found with emails that have very little impact firstly getting the person to see it is difficult… very often the person who is able to make the decision to buy it they often can’t see the benefit of it or they are often computer illiterate so to speak.

I’ve sent letters but you never know if they get to the person they need to have sent them recorded delivery etc

I have found sending “gifts” such as T shirts with the domain printed on them sometimes with there company details on the back ,also balloons with web name and address etc etc

Then phone them up and say something like sorry but my delivery went to wrong address we have similar company name or product we sell etc did you by chance get a delivery normally response is yes then in with the sales patter , this seams to work well as an email or letter can often be deleted or thrown away

But a parcel etc people don’t know what to do with it so secretaries, receptionist will often pass it on to there senior boss etc they don’t know who ordered it then often they open it and bingo you have the presence known also as they can see the item in front of them it clicks that they can give these things out to there customers or shock horror some one else might be able to and they lose business ( loss of potential profit seems to have more effect than the thought of spending money….?) Think history Trojan horse once it was in there the outcome was inevitable inevitable....

Last edited:
Thanks guy's will tweak the email I had already typed up and agree! Keep woffle down to a minimum.

Yes Generic .co.uk's are what i'm trying to offer, such as

• Rehydrates
  • Rehydrating
  • BodyCreams
  • Propagates
  • SolarSlates
  • Reading-Books

plus quite a few more

But saying that I have emailed local companies about my Generic Hull domains i.e. Hull Blinds etc and have had a few knock backs and a few call backs :)

I will give it a week to filter through and see the results. ;)

Unless it's a web based business that you're trying to sell to I think it's almost always best to pick up the phone and try and get hold of the person who can actually make the decision. E-mails are so easy to ignore.

Great thread.

I realise this thread was a while ago - but it was referenced today.

GDG - did you ever get anywhere with your direct approaches?

Namealot - I love the t-shirt and balloons idea, but doesn't this get very expensive, unless there are a very limited number of potential buyers?

Suzi

Yes I sold a few but be warned you will get your hand bit a few times.

As theirs a few people out there that hate us
blood sucking scum of the earth black mailing bastards
who
Have my domain and want to sell me it thh!

A few people because they thought they where in THAT industry should own it and how dare I try and sell them it "who isn't in that industry"

Once I was in telesales, for a week (my dad died the week after and I had to go home to help). One bloke asked me how I was qualified to help him. I was supposed to say "I have many and varied skills", but I was a bit fed up, so I let him have the lot - I am a qualified chemist/microbiologist/pharmacologist/electrician with postgrad qualifications in engineering, computer science, and finance, and I can speak French and German.
There was a stunned silence for about 5 seconds, then he said "So what are you doing ringing me up and pestering me? Get a proper job".

contact

Anyone got a number for Microsofty I want to sell them

thesh*toperatingsytemthatwontrestoredespiteyourclaims.co.uk

and

stillwaitingforareplacementlicensekeyforyouroverpricedofficesuite.co.uk

Great thread.

I realise this thread was a while ago - but it was referenced today.

GDG - did you ever get anywhere with your direct approaches?

Namealot - I love the t-shirt and balloons idea, but doesn't this get very expensive, unless there are a very limited number of potential buyers?

Suzi
ask yourself if 100 MD,s company owners etc know that this domain is for sale at x price would they want it... Could you sell it on an auction site if the answer yes to either of these use direct targeted advertising. Pays much Higher % than simply an auction ( remember you are not talking of names that sell themselves )

You can get samples for a few pounds or if they think your potential order could be large totally free…? Alibaba and alike Romania, china etc,

If you want very cheap then iron on transfers loads of places will do 100 letters of your choice £4- 5 or less try above or eBay etc T shirts as the size colour quality does not really matter either buy them in sales or eBay supermarket three for £2, (You have to remember your not selling them the t-shirt it could be socks, handkerchief, gloves, knickers, hats anything...? ) You can put your company etc on it so if they don’t want your domain they may want a link, advert, telephone number and just charge them for that cut out the affiliate or service you can offer in the future ??

Or just stick it on an auction site that doesn’t do a thing charges you a commission and most likely does not get you the best price as the person buying is not the end user….?

Assume its a10 letter domain letters 10 x 100 = £50 100 t shirts @3 for £2 = £66 £1.16 ea (This assumes you a going to sell for a thousand + ) you don't have to print them all at once you could do 10 at a time, you can take in to account time etc but the return is normally 40%+ more than an auction site and also much better chance to sell, you may make good contacts ,potential adverts etc

Last edited:
I love the t-shirt idea, it does no harm to try a new thing, just need a good contact list so I can give it a try. Seriously anyone got any contacts for the likes of the Marketing buyers at ASUS, acer, hp etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom