Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Famous names - can they be taken?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I was looking at all the michael jackson names on ebay - from a thread on here about it and just checked "prince michael jackson" and "paris jackson" ( his kids names).

Lots of them have been reg´d although there are a couple left.
But are these names likely to be disputed at some point in the future?
Are things like this worth buying or are you simply going to have to hand them over if a lawyer comes asking?

I doubt they will be disputed, but people will just think less of you for taking them.

IMO anyone that reg's them and comes on here with them isn't going to find much favour.

Personally I would recommend leaving them well alone.

It was the "Susan Boyle" regging that first got me looking at it and now there seems to be a lot of interest in anyone that looks good on those wannabe celeb shows.

I noticed susanboyle.co.uk/ is up for sale but I would be worried about buying it and having it disputed and taken.

Most of the jackson domains are a bit crap anyways "michaeljacksonisdead" etc but the straight names "susanboyle" or "princemichaeljackson" I would have thought would be too risky (regardless of ethics)

I was looking at all the michael jackson names on ebay - from a thread on here about it and just checked "prince michael jackson" and "paris jackson" ( his kids names).

Lots of them have been reg´d although there are a couple left.
But are these names likely to be disputed at some point in the future?
Are things like this worth buying or are you simply going to have to hand them over if a lawyer comes asking?

I wouldn't rule out MJ names being disputed by those who own the royalty rights to his songs.

- Rob

I would think searches for michael jackson related things have gone absolutely through the roof recently although a lot of traffic will be going to news sites.
Nice to have a big fansite/forum right about now!

Read something else about people regging "restinpeace" sites for all sorts of celebs "just in case" they have an untimely end.
A bit eery if you happen to be one of those people and stumble across your own obituary site.

Would it make a difference, dispute wise, if you were/werent advertising anything on them? ie - no revenue generation revenue?

Just looked up susan boyle .com and it has been regged for 10 years or more for an artist with the same name - and its for sale!!!
Not my cup of tea but again, I just wouldnt know whether to buy domething like that or not.

Would it make a difference, dispute wise, if you were/werent advertising anything on them? ie - no revenue generation revenue?

Yes it does. Genuine fan sites that arn't profiting from sales/ads are usually OK. Personally though, I'd want to focus my time and energy on a site that has the potential to make me revenue.

- Rob

Yes it does. Genuine fan sites that arn't profiting from sales/ads are usually OK. Personally though, I'd want to focus my time and energy on a site that has the potential to make me revenue.

- Rob
Spot on................

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
URL Shortener
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom