Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

freedom of information act

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
To cut a long story short does anyone know if you can request information using freedom of information act or the like of another town/city council.

e.g. I live in Luton and want to see Dunstable councils accounts for the last 5 years.

thanks.

1. The Freedom of Information Act

The Freedom of Information Act gives you the right to ask any public sector organisation for all the recorded information they have on any subject.

Anyone can make a request for information – there are no restrictions on your age, nationality or where you live.

Your request will be handled under the Data Protection Act if you ask for information about yourself.

https://www.gov.uk/make-a-freedom-of-information-request/the-freedom-of-information-act

far as I know you can request anything, I assume newspapers don't have people everywhere and they submit FOIs like they are using a gatlin gun.

To cut a long story short does anyone know if you can request information using freedom of information act or the like of another town/city council.

e.g. I live in Luton and want to see Dunstable councils accounts for the last 5 years.

thanks.

Yes in theory you can. The information will be released providing it meets the various public interest tests. I would imagine some of the information would already be publically available anyway?

Stephen.

If information is publically available, is it highly likely that will be the answer you will get, as they are compelled to keep the cost of answering your question within the cost/timescale criteria laid down in law. To avoid any further delay under these circumstances, ensure your line of questioning stipulates that you need the location of this information for you to inspect it.
Having been down this route a few times, each reply from them resets the clock, and it can be very frustrating waiting all over again.

Thanks for the feedback gents.

I'll let you know the outcome of: 'council pays 3rd party company to sabotage website' when I get more details :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
URL Shortener
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom