Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Fridays Domains

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
We've been writing an application to grab names as they drop and will be testing it on Friday and I know this might sound a bit hard faced but what are the four or five names that EVERYONE will be going for on Friday. It's purely to get an idea of how much of this is skill - as a lot of people seem to say - and how much is luck. If we go for five names that the World is going for and get them all, then it's obviously skill but if we get none then it's either luck or the program needs tweeking. We were thinking of maybe offering a drop catching service if this works out but don't want to work like Dropcatcher, we'd rather sub-contract to 'serious' players who are prepared to work on a no win no fee basis but who will pay a premium on win. This service doesn not include pre-Nom names which we will be going for ourselves.

I understand you might not want to post here so you can always PM me.

pheasantplucker said:
but don't want to work like Dropcatcher, we'd rather sub-contract to 'serious' players

I am not sure I understand? Serious players have there own systems?

But with only one tag ( puts tongue in cheek ) even the big players would surely welcome a chance to cover their bases on a no win no fee basis, that must be a attractive option. The idea is to go for a very limited number of domains a day in order to register the best names.

Why would you want to catch domains for others (at any price) when you can do the same for yourself and keep the names (and hence 100% of the domain's value), assuming you're only going for the tip-tip-top quality stuff?

We're not interested Edwin, there's too much work involved in building lists and we don't have a copy of the registry like a lot of you and this makes it doubly difficult. We've decided that it's better to sell the pan and spade rather than go for the gold. As I said, we won't catch pre-Nominet's but anything else goes.

We're interested in working with 'serious' players who want an extra string to their bow and who will provide a name, date and price they wish to pay - we may negotiate a fixed fee. We aren't a charity and this isn't a £35 service, we're going for a very limited number of domains every day so if it really is a level playing field as everyone seems to say ( I remain skeptical ) and the quality of the application is the real factor then we're going to be relatively successful. Either way it's a performance related service so you only pay for results.

I realise that a lot of this is down to trust but this is a close knit community and bad news travels fast.

Edwin said:
Why would you want to catch domains for others (at any price) when you can do the same for yourself and keep the names (and hence 100% of the domain's value), assuming you're only going for the tip-tip-top quality stuff?

Last edited:
You have a script that will beat the best and you don't know what's dropping?

FC Domains said:
You have a script that will beat the best

Your words not mine.

FC Domains said:
you don't know what's dropping?

Correct.

The implication being what, that if you don't know what names are dropping you aren't a competent coder?

pheasantplucker said:
there's too much work involved in building lists and we don't have a copy of the registry like a lot of you and this makes it doubly difficult. We've decided that it's better to sell the pan and spade rather than go for the gold. As I said, we won't catch pre-Nominet's but anything else goes.

We don't have a copy of the registry. That is totally against Nominets' terms and conditions.

What we have are a small list of know domains in a detagged/suspended state which are actively monitored. Sites such as deleting.co.uk show these. No secrets domain hoards, just lists.

Nominet members should know this and adhere to it.

I very much doubt that, unless you're talking about the early 2003 copy of the database, which was the last time it was made available in any form to anyone. I don't have the 2003 database, but I know of it. Of course, that doesn't help for the domains registered in the last 2.5 years.

pheasantplucker said:
We've been writing an application to grab names as they drop and will be testing it on Friday

What IPS TAG or registrant name should we be keeping an eye out for?

Edwin said:
I very much doubt that, unless you're talking about the early 2003 copy of the database, which was the last time it was made available in any form to anyone. I don't have the 2003 database, but I know of it. Of course, that doesn't help for the domains registered in the last 2.5 years.

The thing is Edwin, anything that was worth registering would have been registered by that date and using that list along with annonymous proxies would have allowed you to keep an up-to-date list, yeah some will have fallen through the net but very little worth knowing about. Let's say that theoretically you did have that list, would you think it would be a major tool in your arsenal.

I don't doubt for one minute that a lot of people out there have spent hundreds of man hours building lists, think how much time they would have saved. The toughest job that people with the registry have had is to go through the list the day before and choose the cream.

rob said:
What IPS TAG or registrant name should we be keeping an eye out for?

You shouldn't I'll come on gloating if I win and I'm big enough to say it was a major failure if that's the case. It's funny how cagey things are around here, no one trusts no one and all for something that costs £5. Strange what greed can do to people.

pheasantplucker said:
It's funny how cagey things are around here, no one trusts no one and all for something that costs £5. Strange what greed can do to people.

Why are you cagey over who you are, likewise what your tag is?!

I thought it was a pretty straight up question :s

pheasantplucker - I will be good enough to supply you with probably the best drop of the day.

Figures.co.uk I am sure every man and his dog will be gunning for it.

The best of luck - What [TAG] name should I be looking for please?

And if caught.co.uk (sorry had to pop that in ;-) ) I will book every available slot please!

Rob, it's a very simple question but I don't see why knowing my identity is relevant. It's all pretty academic anyhow because not one name has been posted and not one PM received. If I'd posted five 3 letter domains for £150 each in the for sale section, my in box would be full yet I offer to catch names on a no win, no fee basis and I'm given the third degree, people obviously can't get their head around the concept of someone not wanting to keep names for themselves.

DomainBrand.co.uk said:
And if caught.co.uk (sorry had to pop that in ;-) ) I will book every available slot please!

At last, DomainBrand, if we catch the name you can have it :D

Edit:

False start, Figures.co.uk is already registered ( renewal being processed )

Last edited:
It was just an innocent question, I try and catch the odd one or two so if I see a new registrant or tag pop up on the drop I would recognise it :) I quite understand wanting to supply the spades and pans for the gold rush

Also, you did say ;

pheasantplucker said:
Really, you can spend all the money you like, but to really compete with the usual suspects you'd have to breach Nominet's T&C's by not only using multiple tags but also pooling resources.

Previous poster says that, now has a possible competative system... does that mean you have multi tags ;)

/thirddegree :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members online

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom