Domain Manage

Have I done the right thing?

Discussion in 'SEO Search Engine Optimisation' started by wonder_lander, Feb 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wonder_lander United Kingdom

wonder_lander Active Member Full Member

For the past 5 years I've ran the website the-pier/co/uk which is an information site about the piers around the UK.

Over the past 12 months I've noticed search traffic dropping off and search terms I was previously #1 for are now no longer listed.

I've added each pier that I've got an article on as a KW in advanced web ranking and it shows that on Google my site isn't in the top 100 results.

I ran the articles through copyscape and found that a lot of my content had been duplicated, some by actual pier owners who had now built sites as well as information copied over to wikipedia. I've slowly been going through and serving copyright infringement notices to ensure that any site either re-writes the content or provides a credit link back to our source article.

Now this has almost been complete I've asked Google to do a re-inclusion request and explained the situation to them....will it work?

Looking at GA I can see the only traffic Google sends me relates to Pier furniture which was a high street retailer that went belly up at the end of 2008. I added a couple of bits of info about the company being in administration as we used to get people asking where they could by a lamp or desk!

Anything you can suggest I do to get the search terms back on track? The KW's still perform as expected on Yahoo/Bing.

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

3. Murray United Kingdom

Murray Well-Known Member

In short, no, not unless you had a manual warning in your webmaster tools?.

If not Google will do nothing for you if it's algorithmic.

Do your traffic stats correlate with a drop off around any panda dates?.

4. wonder_lander United Kingdom

Nothing at all in webmast tools

What's the easiest way of finding out? In 2008 we were the authority on a number of piers that didn't even have websites. Since then the results have literally disappeared completely. Not a slide.....a culling!

5. Murray United Kingdom

Murray Well-Known Member

Look at your traffic stats for the date visits dropped off

Then look at google updates, you can find them listed here http://www.seomoz.org/google-algorithm-change

And see if any of the updates correspond with the date your traffic dropped.

6. Aegean

Aegean Active Member

Personally I would take the URL out of your page titles and make them more frendly. Also take the # symbol out of your titles, such as on the home page.

As far as the content goes, as long as it was on your site first then someone else copying it shouldn't affect your google rankings. After all, anyone can copy anything.

I see you have relevant outbound links from your articles, but do you have relevant inbound links to them?

7. wonder_lander United Kingdom

I've removed the # but what do you mean the URL is appearing in the Page Titles? Is this something that the All in One SEO plugin is doing? How can I see the title to know if I've managed to fix it?

That's what I thought but I can't understand why our search terms have dropped out of the Top 100. Sure if the actual pier launches a site I would accept that there is a high chance of it being a better result than mine but why have I been killed off?

We've got links from various tourist sites, holiday sites, B&B's, flickr photos, wikipedia, forums etc. These are all natural links from people who found our content useful.

8. boxfish United Kingdom

boxfish Active Member

run a site:the-pier.co.uk query in Google to see which pages are indexed.

Everything from page 12 to 15 is the forum plugins getting indexed.

You need to deindex all these as they shouldn't be showing as viewable pages as they are garbage/empty - can't be helping.

Once it reindexed without all those you should see a significant improvement.

• Like Like x 1
  9. wonder_lander United Kingdom

What a very helpful and knowledgeable bunch you lot are! Clues for a clueless person when it comes to these things....how do I de-index them?

10. boxfish United Kingdom

boxfish Active Member

Add:

Disallow: /wordpress/wp-content/plugins/

to your robots.txt file

11. wonder_lander United Kingdom

Thanks again, there wasn't a robots.txt file in the root so I've added one and pasted in the following:
    Code:
    User-agent: *
    Disallow: /wordpress/wp-content/plugins/

That OK?

12. boxfish United Kingdom

boxfish Active Member

Looks fine to me although there definitely was one there as I looked at it first to make sure I got the correct syntax, it was just blocking /wp-includes/ and wp-admin/ which you could add or it should be ok without.

I personally wouldn't change anything else and just see how that goes. Those pages account for 33% of indexed pages, a lot of them throwing up syntax errors and suchlike when you click onto them so getting rid should improve the overall site quality immensely.

I've checked backlinks etc to see if anyone's fired a load of crap links at your site and everything looks clean to me so IMO it's a case of wait a few weeks and see what happens.

13. wonder_lander United Kingdom

Thanks for all the very useful feedback. Is there a guide I can use to gen up on what to check and what's good and bad practice?

14. wonder_lander United Kingdom

Well I got a response back to my re-consideration request:

15. boxfish United Kingdom

boxfish Active Member

Good to hear you have no manual penalties.

I saw this article recently and personally I think what's mentioned is the same as what happened with your site.

http://www.searchenginejournal.com/six-months-with-panda-story-of-complacency-and-recovery/44774/

I've been keeping an eye on your site and the homepage only started displaying the new title in the SERPs over the weekend, it took a while to reindex, hopefully the pages you have blocked should start dropping out of the index now.

16. Blossom

Blossom Well-Known Member

More links and more content will help.

Also, I'd get rid of that email address on the homepage - spam trap.

17. wonder_lander United Kingdom

Cheers guys, I've deleted the comment and have a back log of new content to keep adding. I've also got a web designer working on a new theme.

18. wonder_lander United Kingdom

Just checked GA and traffic lept up at the weekend and that got me excited! Avg of 30 a day and then 250 yesterday!

Digging into the search terms it looks like there must have been a quiz question somewhere about a pier built in 1896 as I've got about 30 different variations of those search terms just for yesterday! That doesn't help my bounce rate!

19. Adem United Kingdom

Adem Active Member

Just wanted to say thanks for this info as I have a couple of sites that have had a massive drop and upon checking I hads lots of crap pages being indexed, so I've added a Robots file (which was missing) and will see if that helps.

If not, no further harm done.

20. wonder_lander United Kingdom

Still got my crappy pages listed in the Google, anyway of speeding their removal up?

21. Aaron Clifford United Kingdom

Aaron Clifford Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.