Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Help me understand This Please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Forget that last rant, I just remembered the .com I moved to 123-reg, 123 are tucows, so it's them that's changed something on 17th. I'd still like to know if it's renewed or not, I guess internic should be trusted more than tucows?

Lee

And a little warning, ukreg scum, not only charge you £200 to get your domain back, but now they also remove it from the account the day it was due to be renewed in the hope you forget all about it while they taste your domain. So who tells the truth right now, internic whois or tucows, did it renew or didn't it?

Lee
Lee, the status quo is always at:

telnet whois.nic.uk 43
domaintoquery.co.uk

That gives the actual Nominet status at the exact time of query. As does my free utility which I won't punt here.

Right, I just went into the 123-reg panel and renewed the .com as their system says it's not renewed but can someone explain the whois beforehand please...

Domain Name: .COM
Registrar: TUCOWS INC.
Whois Server: whois.tucows.com
Referral URL: http://domainhelp.opensrs.net
Name Server: NS13.BULKDNS.CO.UK
Name Server: NS14.BULKDNS.CO.UK
Updated Date: 18-jun-2007
Creation Date: 17-jun-2004
Expiration Date: 17-jun-2008

Can't be trusted or it was renewed and i've paid twice? What happened?

Lee

It's a .com
Oops - sorry.

Then the definitive query is:

telnet rs.internic.net 43

Then look for the "Whois Server:" line

Then do a reverse IP lookup on that URL and then feed it again to telnet on port 43.

Sometimes you'll get a "connection refused".

HOWEVER, the rs.internic.net query is definitive.

HTH.

Oops - sorry.

Then the definitive query is:

telnet rs.internic.net 43

Then look for the "Whois Server:" line

Then do a reverse IP lookup on that URL and then feed it again to telnet on port 43.

Sometimes you'll get a "connection refused".

HOWEVER, the rs.internic.net query is definitive.

HTH.

Thanks but I aint a computer programmer, I just want an official domain website like internic to tell me the truth, either my domain was renewed or it wasn't, it seems it lies and domains aren't actually renewed even though the expiry date changes which probably explains why I lose my dot coms as I check an official website and it bloody lies to me all the time. Imagine if nominet worked like that and guessed whether you'd actually renew or not.

Lee

Thanks but I aint a computer programmer, I just want an official domain website like internic to tell me the truth, either my domain was renewed or it wasn't, it seems it lies and domains aren't actually renewed even though the expiry date changes which probably explains why I lose my dot coms as I check an official website and it bloody lies to me all the time. Imagine if nominet worked like that and guessed whether you'd actually renew or not.

Lee
Well don't rant at me mate. I'm only trying to help you. But then again, why should I bother.

Okay: http://www.internic.net/whois.html

Email to icann

I nearly lost several domains because your whois guesses whether domains would be renewed, example

.com .com and .com all showed as renewed and would expire in 2008. I go to my registrar 123-reg.co.uk and none have been renewed, would you care to explain please? and would you care to comment on when you will put in a more reliable system? you're supposed to offer an whois system not guess work.

Cheers
Lee

I aint a tech head, just pointing it out, so don't get your knickers in a twist.

Lee
My knickers are never twisted. Just keep a little composure and decorum and people here will try and help the best they can. An ingrate is never generally helped twice.

My knickers are never twisted. Just keep a little composure and decorum and people here will try and help the best they can. An ingrate is never generally helped twice.

Nor is an ***** ever replied to more than they should be, you're on ignore. christ you're annoying, talk down to me like that and... nah you aint worth it son. Night night.

Lee

Nor is an ***** ever replied to more than they should be, you're on ignore. christ you're annoying, talk down to me like that and... nah you aint worth it son. Night night.

Lee
Lots of posts don't make you head of the 'glitterati' queue. I tried to help you and you threw it back in my face. One thing you may have learned about me; I don't do bullcrap. Goodnight.

im not sure of this will help your cause Lee but when anyone regs a new domain with either Fasthosts or UKReg (same company as im sure u know) and chooses not to host a website on it, the domains automatically get redirected to a sedo parking page, so Fasthosts make money off you that way as well.

they used to just go to a 401 error page.....

since fasthosts were taken over by 1and1 internet, things have changed.....

im not sure of this will help your cause Lee but when anyone regs a new domain with either Fasthosts or UKReg (same company as im sure u know) and chooses not to host a website on it, the domains automatically get redirected to a sedo parking page, so Fasthosts make money off you that way as well.

they used to just go to a 401 error page.....

since fasthosts were taken over by 1and1 internet, things have changed.....

Yes I know most set nameservers to their own but it's a bit cheeky changing a customers domain nameservers to one of their own choosing when it technically still belongs to the customer. Without that customer having bought that domain in the first place they wouldn't be making money on it. There must be rules that state a registrar can't intefer with a customer's details without good reason and stealing and tasting traffic shouldn't be one of them. scum.

Lee

Also noticed that expired UK domains names get their name servers changed to Sedo - only really just noticed but any dropping names that have the TAG Fasthosts are set to Sedoparking name servers by the time they get suspended.

JohnP

Also noticed that expired UK domains names get their name servers changed to Sedo - only really just noticed but any dropping names that have the TAG Fasthosts are set to Sedoparking name servers by the time they get suspended.

JohnP

I wonder if Nominet allows that?

Lee

I wonder if Nominet allows that?

Lee

Would make an interesting DRS case ? :) - who does the registrant go after - themselves ? as presumably the site gets competiting PPC on it for a while !

Cheers

JohnP

Yep

Done a quick check of about half dozen domains I picked up in the last couple of months, and the stored whois lookups all show 14 days after the registration expired there was an update to the nominet information, presumably when the name servers got changed to Sedoparking. I guess that gives 1&1 / Sedo 14 days to test the traffic before the domain gets suspended - interesting business practice.

JohnP

Would make an interesting DRS case ? :) - who does the registrant go after - themselves ? as presumably the site gets competiting PPC on it for a while !

Cheers

JohnP

Ether the domain belongs to the domain owner or the registrar, which is it? It looks like registrars feel they can do whatever they want with somebody elses property right now. Because when a DRS comes in suspended or not, I'm sure that DRS is still going ahead regardless of renewal status.

Lee

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom