Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

High DropCatching Success Rates?

Reaction score
Hi All,

Quick question here, likely with a less than quick answer...

Given the shear competitive nature of backordering, how can single tags have such a high catch rates? (*cough*Coherent*cough* for example)

Even with a lightning fast script and a server in the Nominet data centre, if domains drop 'randomly' across the whole day, how can single tags successfully catch so many quality domains each day??

I appreciate that people can register multiple tags and thus increase DAC queries etc.. and can hedge their bets when they think a domain can drop and blast for around then, but as a member posted approximate catch rates too the other day (RobM?), the domains are being registered under single tags? (I.e. If they were being registered under multiple tags, there would surely be more distribution in catches)

Am I being really obtuse, or is there another aspect of the dropcatching model that makes such a difference? (Maybe a buddy working at Nominet?? ;) )

Now obviously not asking anyone to share trade secrets, but can anyone help me to understand? Apologies anyone sat face palming behind their screens....

Thanks I'm advance,

William

Because if you saw what he was chasing you'd realise that a lot of the domains will have little or no competition. There are many chasers who go for domains in bulk to fill their library and have a successful business of bulk storage and enduser sales. That's why the catch % was not really relevant as there are a few there I know are chasing a lot of domains that nobody else is. eg there are a few today which are highly sought after (yet to drop) - I very much doubt they will be chased or caught by certain tags.

The best advice I can give about domain quality is take a day to monitor all dropping domains and who gets what and what is not even registered. Then look and determine what you think would be most likely in demand by lots of tags.

I wonder who William Zurawel is; very specific question for such a new member ;)

As Rob said, and taking Coherent as an example, Garth tends to go for none and less contested domains he sees value in, which is why his success rate is so high. It is the same for Domeinwinkel, which we had a long discussion on the past few days; their success rate is high, but not many are contested, though they only chase what they have bids on.

For the rest, some chase multiple domains at a time (public catchers for example), others guess the order so they can focus on one at a time. The drops are random supposedly, but I suspect one or two are much too good at getting the order right for that to be the case (probably is though).

The rest is down to code, server latency, certain methods (within the rules) and a hell of a lot of luck.

Last edited:
Back in the day, I used to get over 50% of all the domains I went for by using a combination of catchers - but that's in large part because I didn't go for 3-letter and other hugely contested ones. So the raw success rate tells you nothing much without looking closely at the actual domains involved.

Yeah sorry, the post may look a bit out of the blue for a new member, but I have been more of a lurker the last few years!

I have had quite a few drops using Rob's system and have been observing various drops for the last year or so, hence some of my observations.

Thanks for your comments though, does clear quite a lot up!

@ian

Whats exploit ?
Sorry, not exploit, I edited that post. Just methods of maximising chances, but for the most part, everyone is in the same boat with similar systems in place these days. I'm harping back to the days when a certain tag was picking up absolutely ever contested domains because they found a method no one else.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members online

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom