Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Lawyer Solicitors or Attorney

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,
Is lawyer, solicitor, or attorney the common word in the UK for legal help? I brought realestatelawyer.co.uk, and have other legal terms that I might purchase, but I want the one with the most commom term for the UK.

I would say they are used:

solicitor - 60%
lawyer - 35%
attorney - 5% (that might be generous)

I know solicitors as nothing other than solicitors, wouldn't dream of using the term lawyer or attorney here in the UK.

I know solicitors as nothing other than solicitors, wouldn't dream of using the term lawyer or attorney here in the UK.
In most parts of the UK i 100% agree with you however, in some parts of the UK (and in certain practices of law) lawyer is the prefered term

Melo....

Also, focus on the terms estate agents/estate agency or solicitors-estateagents, etc, or maybe property centres, we don't say real estate here much.

I don't think anyone in the Uk would ever search for a real estate lawyer.

Regards

Bruce

If you want the term most used for members of the legal profession who deal with "real estate" purchase and sale, you probably looking for "conveyancing solicitor"

If you want the term most used for members of the legal profession who deal with "real estate" purchase and sale, you probably looking for "conveyancing solicitor"

Thanks Vizzo, I guess I'll have to look for other terms since conveyancing solicitor is already taken. I really do appreciate everyone's input.

solicitor - 60%
lawyer - 35%

I reckon 0.5% would be generous for attorney. :)

In most parts of the UK i 100% agree with you however, in some parts of the UK (and in certain practices of law) lawyer is the prefered term

"Divorce lawyer" would be a prime example; GKT shows the lawyer variants get a decent amount of searches while solicitor variants don't show at all.

I would say they are used:

solicitor - 60%
lawyer - 35%

i would say 60/40 (solicitors/lawyer)
lawyer used more and more tbh

lawyer to me says legal counsel
a solicitors is a bit like a supermarket for everything, conveyancing, disputes, litigation etc
lawyer a bit mroe specific, someone who represents you in person/court

never hear attorney used in uk

How about patent attorney. I think this is used more than patent solicitor or patent lawyer in the UK.

solicitors - 97%
lawyers - 2%
attorney - 1%

other popular legal terms are barrister and legal Clerk

My job is in forensics (computers) and as such we do a lot of legal work. We'll use the terms solicitors (the term I prefer - i.e. the British version as I see it) and lawyers fairly interchangeably but never attorney. As much as I prefer to use the word solicitor, you will find many in law, particularly those that are internationally represented, will use the word lawyer quite commonly. For example, see: d l a p i p e r . c o . uk / (admittedly it's quite a US orientated site anyway).

Thanks everyone. It seems as though solicitors is the more common term, and lawyers not far behind. I also bought estatesolicitors.co.uk and Investin.me.uk. Trying to build up a few .UK names since cctlds seem to be doing very well. I appreciate everyone's advice.

Hello Everyone,
Is lawyer, solicitor, or attorney the common word in the UK for legal help? I brought realestatelawyer.co.uk, and have other legal terms that I might purchase, but I want the one with the most commom term for the UK.

A solicitor is a qualified solicitor registered at the law society.

A lawyer is someone that practices law.

Attorney: From Wikipedia....

Attorney at law or attorney-at-law, usually abbreviated in everyday speech to attorney, is the official name for a lawyer in certain jurisdictions, including, Japan, Sri Lanka and the United States.

England and Wales: The term was also used in England and Wales for lawyers who practised in the common law courts. In 1873, however, attorneys were redesignated solicitors (which had always been the title for those lawyers who practised in the courts of equity). Attorneys did not generally actually appear as advocates in the higher courts, a role reserved (as it still usually is) for barristers.

Also we don't really use the term real estate much here in the UK.

If I was looking for a 'real estate lawyer' in the UK I would search for:

'conveyancing solicitor'

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom