Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Learning to code a script

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I started a thread similar to this over a year ago but decided from the replies that renting a script was the best way to start. But now over a year later I've decided doing it that way doesn't really give you any knowledge or real control.

To start with I still don't know anything about coding so I haven't got my own script, but back then fortunately I had the funds available to use hosted catching for a year, which wasn't cheap. Won't name any names but didn't really have much luck with it although not really being much of a domainer I didn't load anything in it very often, maybe once a week, if that. I have the money to buy another year but everything considered it was just a waste of money for me personally, but lesson learned.

I then used another hosted catching service for a little while but that was a waste of time really, and money. Then bought a script off somebody who was helpful in advising and setting it up, but in the end turned out to be yet more money down the pan. There were a few issues with hosting etc and not knowing anything it's hard enough knowing what to ask let alone understand any answers and it's not nice to keep bugging the person that sold me the script.

Being able to use places like domainmonster etc I have had better luck, but it's rare to get something "good". In fact the best catches I have had for my own purposes haven't been listed on domainviews droplist luckily for me so I've been able to book them at several places, and I'm also surmising that there's a lot less competition from private catchers if possibly not as many of them maybe know the domain is dropping.

Anyway, as I said I don't know anything about coding but I've come to the conclusion that the only way to get any real knowledge and control and possibly some success like some do on this forum is to learn to code and write your own script. I'm not sure if that's unrealistic?

I've seen a free complete beginners guide to c++ course on Udemy. One of the first videos suggested using Eclipse and Minge or whatever it's called and so I've got them installed and working and have started following that the last day.

I know I'll have to learn all about servers, latency, pinging, timing etc as well and setting it all up etc and it's probably all a lot to learn and being completely honest I'll probably get bored or something and move on, but we'll see.

I'd be interested to know though if anybody doesn't mind sharing, is there anybody on here that wrote their own script that learned how to code in their own time, or did everybody learn at school, college etc?

Last edited:
I wish you all the best, but fear you may find it an incredibly steep leaving curve, especially as drop catching scripts need fine adjustments constantly to remain competitive.

However, as it stands, most domains are seemingly being caught by way of lottery, with so many fresh tags appearing, so your chances are quite possibly as good with any script as the best, with the exception of some highly contested names which tend to find home with the same tags over and over (finding the right exploit).

Focus as you say on those not appearing on lists, or less popular, using public catchers may remain the best bet tbh. Hopefully however you have some luck with your own script learning, but unfortunately whilst everyone on here is friendly, they may be slightly resistant of giving too much valuable information that adds another competitor into the mix.

Not to worry, I'm not digging for info. Probably is a steep learning curve and I'll likely get bored before anything else but I don't know, I might actually enjoy it.

Public catchers have done ok for me, hosted catching not so much. It must be so satisfying though to have the knowledge to write your own script and have everything work and then actually catch a domain.

Its almost unheard of to learn coding in schools, least up until 5 yrs ago when I spoke to a teacher. There aren't really many college courses for C++/PHP below Further Education.

There are some C&G C++ but they literally cover the basics and hello world, none of it touches on network programming. A quick course may teach you basic constructs and around the gui but won't help you catching wise. So I guess it can't hurt.

Most coders learned in their own time, most from playing with code. Sites like planet source code have plenty of examples you can look at to find your way around.

You could write your own script, but likely as not that won't work very well either! :)

Everyone has to start somewhere. Like others have said, writing a coding script that is competitive is a tough challenge, but you can still write yourself a script and have a go. When learning to code, you need enthusiasm and dedication. Those two things will be enough to bring you some success (in coding, although not necessarily a winning catching script). Even if you can't write a competitive script, you are still learning valuable and marketable skills.

I don't know about that, another member recently wrote a script in C++ with no C knowledge, just some basic coding skills, he muddled through it, took them about a year (off the top of my head) from start to finish and they had some good contested catches.

Depends if your dedicated and mostly inquisitive and creative to keep trying new things and hunting for the edge.

You could write your own script, but likely as not that won't work very well either! :)

I'd be interested to know though if anybody doesn't mind sharing, is there anybody on here that wrote their own script that learned how to code in their own time, or did everybody learn at school, college etc?

What you learn about computers at school these days is not really worth the time spent in the lesson! We did assembler and BASIC for our O Levels which set me in quite good stead for later programming. Languages evolve, but your basic understanding of how the CPU works will help optimise code if you are working with a lower level language, higher level languages tend to throw everything into a library and just include the kitchen sink so is a trade off between speed of coding and performance (which is why we're all on high spec computers and not really any more productive than 20 years ago!)

To catch a domain you need an understanding of real-time programming and low level network programming, these are not the easiest of topics for a beginner, but no reason why you shouldn't give it a try. Everything you need to know technically is on Nominet's registrar resources website (including links to the EPP RFC's), whether you can glean the knowledge you need from this and the ability to convert this information and process into a working application will of course be down to whether you can learn enough.

Have fun :)

Considering the amount that would need to be learnt and the time it could take, what's to say that dropcatching as we know it will still exist by the time a decent script could be produced?

Interesting reading the responses and opinions, thanks.

Considering the amount that would need to be learnt and the time it could take, what's to say that dropcatching as we know it will still exist by the time a decent script could be produced?

I did think about this, but even so it would still be good and hopefully helpful to know a bit about coding rather than diddly.

I haven't delved into all the pros and cons but I don't know why Nominet don't just offer expired domains to auction for a set period of time before releasing them. Surely it would be worth their while, or maybe thinking about it, it wouldn't?

Anyway, it's not something that's set in concrete for me. I'll have a start with this beginners course and just see what's what and whether it's for me or not.

If you have the funds to pay for another yr of hosted, it could be worth doing a basic course to learn the GUI and basic structures and syntax, then see if anyone willing to sell you their C++ code for a reasonable fee (but less than a years hosting), see what their tag is and that they have caught something worth catching.

You then have the bulk of work, basic skills and can tinker and change as you go ?

I have a script which really means nothing to me at the moment and I've just started following along with a free c++ complete beginners course on Udemy, which seems ok so far.

I'm using domainview at the moment and also booking with a few public catchers if the domain hasn't already been booked. I don't go after much so it's not that big of a deal for me, but it is something I'm interested in and would like to have a knowledge of.

Do you have the source code ? or just the app ?

If you have the source code, then you're already half way there, but unfortunately optimising, enhancing and increasing speed/performance is the hardest bit.

Do you have the source code ? or just the app ?

If you have the source code, then you're already half way there, but unfortunately optimising, enhancing and increasing speed/performance is the hardest bit.

But isn't optimising it, enhancing it etc all part of the fun?

I suppose it's like having a bucket full of parts that make up an engine. You have an engine but figuring out how to put it all together to actually fire up first and foremost is just the start.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

Sponsors

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel

Sponsors

Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

Shiny Nuts