Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Lost Domain name when paid for renewal

Reaction score
Hi, just want some advice, I had a domain name which I moved to the company 20i.com. It was set to auto renew and they sent me an email in March 2021 saying it was renewed and the money was taken from my bank account.

However I have just been informed that I no longer own this domain and someone else registered it in June 2021.

I’m not sure how this could of happened, whether the domain was renewed or not.

Where do I stand legally on this and is the registrar responsible. It’s not a cheap domain, I paid quite a lot for it. It is now owned by another member on this forum.

It’s strange because I never received any emails from nominet saying the domain was expiring or dropping like I would if it wasn’t renewed. So this makes me think it was renewed. But not sure how someone else could now own it?

Has this happened to anyone else?

Thanks
Mark

That's shitty.

You might need to reveal the name to get some real help?

Sounds like their auto renew has worked for the billing side but not the actual renewal side with Nominet as the timing is consistent with it not actually being renewed.

Does your 20i account still have the domain listed on it?
Was it a 2 year renewal you paid for?

Terrible / nightmare scenario.

Sounds like a registrar cock up - they should have sent you reminders, which I think is a requirement.

Depending on value etc it could be worth looking for compensation from them, but would trawl T&Cs as likely caveats to rule that out.

Also are the dates right - 2021 and noticed now? (Everyone should check their own lists now!)

20i sent me a confirmation email on 6/3/2021 along with the invoice to say it’s been renewed for another year. The money was taken from my bank.

I’ve raised a help desk call with 20i and they say they sent the renewal request to nominet at that time. However for some reason it was never renewed. They are contacting nominet to discuss.

I would check when it was first registered and by who on https://rdap.uk/ as you should be able to see if someone at 20i has done something dodgy.

Hmmmm seems fishy to me. Perhaps Nominet were doing maintenance on the EPP at the time of renewal and they missed it? Surely their system would flag that up and/or they'd know about the in advance (20i I mean). What a shit show. I'd be seeking legal advice tbh, especially as they've took your money as well.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom