Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

manchesteronthe.net - trademark infringement?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Would attempting to sell a domain like "manchesteronthe.net" automatically infringe the trademark rights of those with the word "manchester" in their trademark? I am confused! At present the domain is registered, but has never been used as a website. Any idea on value? £100 or more?
Thanks
GM

No, you can't trademark the place name Manchester.

If there's already a website/company called manchesteronthenet.whatever then you might have issues.

Would attempting to sell a domain like "manchesteronthe.net" automatically infringe the trademark rights of those with the word "manchester" in their trademark? I am confused! At present the domain is registered, but has never been used as a website. Any idea on value? £100 or more?
Thanks
GM

No.

But I wouldn't bother, the name is worthless.

How can ANY place-name be a "trademark". It is the name of a town ,city or country where, maybe, millions live. Who SAYS that only certain people can own that?
Besides , there are SEVENTEEN places called Manchester in the world ; mostly in the USA. Try selling directly to the Yanks! Write to Chambers of Commerce in the various Manchesters.

There is a great deal of parochialism in this internet business. Very many place-names are duplicated, triplicated and more.....across the world!

Think OUTSIDE the box!!

No-one has a RIGHT to the word "Manchester" .

Sorry, but I would also say the domain is worth very little, if anything.

Rgds

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom