Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Meta Title Won't Update!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
For some stupid reason, Google won't pick up my meta title. I've tried 2 different SEO plugins, different themes and they won't have any of it. It is just picking up the URL "key word" which I don't understand.

Does anyone have any ideas?

check the robots.txt file isnt preventing the spider from seeing the page. failing that post the URL and I will take a look for you!

check the robots.txt file isnt preventing the spider from seeing the page. failing that post the URL and I will take a look for you!

Cheers mate. www.financialtrading.com. It has been like that since I owned the online trading website and I don't know why. Sorry had to throw some relevant keywords in there ;)

Last edited:

Its too long, so google will either add an elipsis at the end or choose what it perceives to be a more relevant title.

In your case the use of the pipe delimeters pretty much forces googles hand into choosing something else (pipes denote keywords, keywords == spammy).

The title should be a title, ie. what you would call your website if it were a book, not a series of keywords you want to rank for.

Did your site used to be called day trading btw?

advice: 1) cut down the length, 2) remove the pipes and keyword stuffing, 3) add a meta noodp tag (probably irrelevant but reinforces that you want to choose your own title). 4) while you're at it, change the alt text of your logo to be "financial trading"..

I ran a search for your title contents on Google and it came up with your site, displaying it as below, so it does know about your title.

If you made fairly recent changes it could be a delay in datacentre updates.

I hope that helps.

Last edited:
I ran a search for your title contents on Google and it came up with your site, displaying it as below, so it does know about your title.

If you made fairly recent changes it could be a delay in datacentre updates.

I hope that helps.

its still showing the elipsis, so still shorten it.

I agree, I think he thought Google wasn't picking it up, as he said in his OP, so I was showing him Google did log his title tag.

Cheers for the feedback guys. I've shortened it and hopefully it will be picked up! I've never had this problem before though even when titles have been too long so am not holding out much hope.

Cheers for the feedback guys. I've shortened it and hopefully it will be picked up! I've never had this problem before though even when titles have been too long so am not holding out much hope.

Dont worry about it, it will change to what you put, as long as what you put is relevant. G have started playing fast and loose with titles in the last couple of months. It used to be that they would (almost) always put what you suggested unless it was listed on an odp site - since mid to late last year they take a best guess regardless of what you want. In most cases its improved, not however in yours.

Check from a 3G query on your phone. Google likes to play around with the cache.

I had a site and changed the meta title... 18 months later Google still has the old title... only happened on this one site but it just hasnt ever changed, it is an old site like been around for 6 years.

Sometimes they will pull the title from a heading tag or anchor text to explain why they are ranking a page for a query when those search terms aren't immediately obvious in the title - its a bit of a cheap trick to make Google appear more relevant :)

I had a site and changed the meta title... 18 months later Google still has the old title... only happened on this one site but it just hasnt ever changed, it is an old site like been around for 6 years.

Yeah this site has been around for years too. Don't know if I can deal with this being a permanent problem though!

Its not ...

a) taking the data from your DMOZ listing is it?

b) being confused by a conflicting rule in your robots.txt?

c) Take a look at http://www.seroundtable.com/google-title-tag-issue-15402.html

just trying to figure this out.

a) It's not in DMOZ yet so it can't be.

b) Perhaps but I wouldn't know what could be caussing this.

c) It could be using what it deems to be suitable but that really doesn't help me lol

If you can get your head around it then it would be very appreciated cos the title they're using now really doesn't catch the eye!

a) It's not in DMOZ yet so it can't be.

b) Perhaps but I wouldn't know what could be caussing this.

c) It could be using what it deems to be suitable but that really doesn't help me lol

If you can get your head around it then it would be very appreciated cos the title they're using now really doesn't catch the eye!

If you've shortened it to something more relevant, thats all you need to do. And wait.

Seriously, that is IT.

Weird, after months it has changed even though the title is still too long and barely different from the one I changed it from!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom