Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Mini Site Designer

Status
Not open for further replies.
So as a web designer can you show me some sites you've built that are pure CSS?

The correcy way is to use them for tabular data.

The only reason designers used tables is because the technology was not there a few years ago.

I have done a few websites but i am by no means a full time web designer, in fact my day job is completely different.

The last site i did was chestnutcaterers.co.uk (Hand coded in notepad and pure css) ;)

I have done a few websites but i am by no means a full time web designer, in fact my day job is completely different.

The last site i did was chestnutcaterers.co.uk (Hand coded in notepad and pure css) ;)

And the code is nice a neat and tidy just look at the minimal code used by NOT using tables for layout.

The argument is not that you can't use tables as tables are part of html, but using them for layout is slower uglier, heavier and dated, the only reason anyone would do it it because they dont know how to use CSS properly, I guess its forgivable if you are not a web developer/designer but if you are charging for your work I dont think there are any excuses really.

You say this as if it's rare or impossible?

I am a full time web developer and I never use tables for layout only CSS, if the design had tabular data, i would use a table for that section and style it with CSS, (not inline css).

And the code is nice a neat and tidy just look at the minimal code used by NOT using tables for layout.

The argument is not that you can't use tables as tables are part of html, but using them for layout is slower uglier, heavier and dated, the only reason anyone would do it it because they dont know how to use CSS properly, I guess its forgivable if you are not a web developer/designer but if you are charging for your work I dont think there are any excuses really.

I really do understand the table vs css design styles, been involved in many a discussion over the years.

A lot of designers out there definately have the same view. Nothing wrong with that. At the end of the day a client is looking for a website that suits his business, attracts customers and that customers can find them easy enough. Can do both with both methods of design.

There are huge sites out there that use tables and a lot of poor coding. It is rife on the net. Don't think it is going to go away any time soon and some of these hold fantastic positions for prime keywords and make a fortune.

I have learnt CSS and can code a website by hand using CSS and good old Notepad.

There is no legal requirement to use CSS rather than tables. At the time when usability laws were being passed it was claimed that an invalid coded website could lead to fines (if I remember a law suit in Australia sparked panic a few years ago). This has really come and gone.

I'm not trying to open up a debate. Saying uglier is certainly debateable, heavier - well with many of the country on broadband and file size increasing by a few KB with some tables - probably doesn't make much difference. Outdated - possibly, but not to say doesn't work.

I just chose to build this website - and the one item on it's portfolio (built 4 years ago now) - using a table based design. To be honest I almost feel like spending a few hours and build again using CSS to position the elements.

Browsers render CSS in different ways, and as designers we have to go searching for the correct 'fixes' to add for different browser versions. Browsers have got better over the years but still an issue for some.

Actually if you check many web designers own websites many are still built with tables - and I am talking about the ones on top of Google for their main search term too.

There are huge sites out there that use tables and a lot of poor coding. It is rife on the net. Don't think it is going to go away any time soon and some of these hold fantastic positions for prime keywords and make a fortune.
Agreed but I don't think that is an excuse to add to it.

Actually if you check many web designers own websites many are still built with tables - and I am talking about the ones on top of Google for their main search term too.

There is a massive difference between a web designer and a web developer, and in my experience most designers don't have the ability to actually build the website they have designed.

I am sure you know how to build a site using CSS which makes me think why do it with tables? You say that if a client specifically asks for a CSS based website you would do it, but why not do it as standard and make the web a better place:D

Part of learning the art of front end coding is overcoming the different browser rendering issues, it is a good way of understanding how CSS really works.

I must admit I am a stickler for doing things properly even if it takes twice as long, and I understand that some people just aren't that bothered.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
URL Shortener
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom