Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Mini Sites review / advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi There,

I'm fairly new to these forums, but I thought Id share this with you.

A month ago myself and a colleague developed the following mini sites as experiments:-

minifridge/co/uk
gasbbq/co/uk

within the first week the 2 sites were top page of the big G for each of their keywords.

They both maintained their positions for a week, and even increased in ranking in the last few days but then disappeared into the blue (I imagine they have been penalised in some way?)

Now I understand that these aren't the greatest of sites, but they should really hold a half decent position in Google at least, as they have a few good quality links.

At present we are currently working on adding additional pages / relevant copy to all sites. We are also tidying up the stuffed keywords, and also trying to gain quality links. I imagine over time we will slowly gain our rankings back?

Please could anyone provide us with any further advice on trying to gain our positioning back? or talk about similar experiences they have had?

Many thanks

Will

it is common for new site to do this (although not all sites are hit the same way). In theory, the yes, it should come back over time. But that time can be a week or two up to a year or so.

Sometimes they stick at their original ranking, and don't move much. We like those sort :)

Yea its funny, as these sites have dropped...

our other site: usedrover/co/uk

is still standing strong

Its a bit of a weird one.

Google is using some user data in the algo these days - if the sites are getting bad bounce ratios they are likely to drop until they pick up more good quality links.

This seems fairly typical in my experience. They do improve over time, but it can take 6 months + to settle down. Sounds like you are doing a lot of the right things - just keep at it :)

thanks for the feedback guys,

I have had some good advice from members on here.

I will let you know the results on the changes i'm going got make

Just keep building links in to the site, that is very important.

Rgds

Hi guys,

After a long saturday of working on this blasted machine, I have finally made some improvements on gasbbq/co/uk

I have made the following updates:

- Additional pages of content: 'Gas barbecue', 'BBQ cover', 'Portable Gas BBQ' and BBQ resources.
- Submit a site map
- High quality images / promotions / calls to action

I am thinking of including more ad sense but I want to see what these changes bring in the up and coming months before I do.

Please let me know your thoughts on the changes?

I'm currently working on gaining a few quality links for this so I expect to see some improvement at least! if not back on the top page!

Oh did I forget to mention, anybody looking for a link exchange?

If you can create the following links to my sites:

Low Cost Shopping - Find low prices on your internet shopping at DropCost UK.

Low Prices - For the best deal on your internet shopping.

Voucher Code - Find voucher codes to save money on your internet shopping.

Discount Code - Find discount codes and save money.

I will reciprocate with similar value links to you.

Rgds

Last edited:
there you go

gasbbq.co.uk/gas-bbq-resources/index.htm

please let me know when the reciprocal links have been put live.

cheers

On the gasbbq site, the intro section where it says "Buy a Gas BBQ" and has revolving large images - this is primary selling space on your website, and this is where I would be putting the digitalwindow results and the AdSense. I expect if you changed this section to have the actual selling or AdSense links you would see conversion rates rise. At the moment users have to scroll before being able to click on anything that could lead to a sale.

Compare this to my mens casual shirts page, where as soon as you see the first viewable section of the website, it's mainly clickable links.

Rgds

I understand what you are saying but, this site is more about selling a product from our main affiliate rather than adwords/ other affiliates. I want the bounce rate to be as low as possible.

I am thinking about putting adwords in between the text though.

I want the site to gain its original top page position back before I rethink the structure for the advertising.

Thanks for the advice.

On the gasbbq site, the intro section where it says "Buy a Gas BBQ" and has revolving large images - this is primary selling space on your website, and this is where I would be putting the digitalwindow results and the AdSense. I expect if you changed this section to have the actual selling or AdSense links you would see conversion rates rise. At the moment users have to scroll before being able to click on anything that could lead to a sale.

Compare this to my mens casual shirts page, where as soon as you see the first viewable section of the website, it's mainly clickable links.

Rgds

I understand what you are saying but, this site is more about selling a product from our main affiliate rather than adwords/ other affiliates. I want the bounce rate to be as low as possible.

OK, in which case my advice would be to have a link straight through to your main affiliate in this section. You also need to incentivize the visitor to click that link, as examples look at the main links I have on comedy dvds and sat nav system. In both cases I have given a reason to click the link and given a high visibility link too.

It is very important that you put incentives beneath the nose of your site visitor. Other sites will be using limited time special offers, low price package deals etc etc. That gives the impression of "hey, this would be a great site to buy from, I'll take a closer look". At the moment, with your sites, you don't see a price from your favoured vendor until you are about 3 or 4 clicks from the original home page. That is not going to be good for your conversion rates, and you don't get the attention of your visitor.

Also, in your site text on gasbbq.co.uk, I would mention all the major brands that you sell.

When I look at your site in IE7, your subheadings are floating over the below paragraph, which will need fixing.

I hope that helps.

Rgds

The dreaded "sandbox"

You should research on the draded Google sandbox affect. The theory is that Goggle will throw new websites into the sandbox for several months and they will slowly work their way out. Usually you're killing it in the ranking for a few weeks and than you are moved into the sandbox.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom