Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

My First Competition and Newsletter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
A few weeks ago I set up a free prize draw on my pizza site.

For the chance to win a pizza recipe book, visitors had to email me their details.

Included in the form was an 'opt out' of newsletter check box.

I've had 481 entries with 261 users added to a mailing list.

I've just out my first mailing newsletter, so it'll be interesting if the whole competition / newsletter has been worth it.

Decembers competition can be found here

and an html version of my first newsletter is here.

I'll post the results of the newsletter click through rates and any amazon sales increases in a few days.

Anyone else tried this?

Phil

Just as a bit of an FYI for your future newsletters... you should try and keep the width much smaller than this. As it is 90 odd percent of readers won't be able to see it all without side scrolling.

A few weeks ago I set up a free prize draw on my pizza site.

For the chance to win a pizza recipe book, visitors had to email me their details.

Included in the form was an 'opt out' of newsletter check box.

I've had 481 entries with 261 users added to a mailing list.

I've just out my first mailing newsletter, so it'll be interesting if the whole competition / newsletter has been worth it.

Decembers competition can be found here

and an html version of my first newsletter is here.

I'll post the results of the newsletter click through rates and any amazon sales increases in a few days.

Anyone else tried this?

Phil

Phil

Really hope this goes well with you, however my experience is that 99% of people who sign up to my mailing lists because of a competition incentive are basically only interested in winning something for free and not the web site.

I think details of competitions, including answers, are shared around competition forums and I know that a lot of entries only visited my site to sign up to newsletter and then never returned.

Let us know if you have been more successful.

Stephen

Phil

Really hope this goes well with you, however my experience is that 99% of people who sign up to my mailing lists because of a competition incentive are basically only interested in winning something for free and not the web site.

I think details of competitions, including answers, are shared around competition forums and I know that a lot of entries only visited my site to sign up to newsletter and then never returned.

Let us know if you have been more successful.

Stephen

I concur with Stephen.
Based on experience this is what happens when your comp ends up a forum or comp listing site. Time on site metric in analytics takes a nosedive !

That said the fact that you got 261 opt-ins from 481 is encouraging. Was it double opt-in ?

Best of luck with the site anyhow.

I love how the question just makes you click the Amazon link :) Nice comp

we are interested in buying coreg data

If you wish to pm me we are interested in buying coreg data

Doug

I figure if I can get a link tracked, even if it's just for 1 day like Amazon, then I might get some sales with the X-mas shoppers.

Yeah its a great idea :) keep the competitions up. You could try a 1 a week? (x weeks of christmas or something) to increase those clicks.

Yeah its a great idea :) keep the competitions up. You could try a 1 a week? (x weeks of christmas or something) to increase those clicks.

It could be done but,

• it increases the work load for me
  • adds to the cost of the competition (I have to buy the prizes)

At the moment each comp costs around £10. [prize + newsletter service]

I've signed for 6 months of newsletters so I'll keep it running for that length and see how it goes.

Phil

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom