Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

New Setup Discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, we have tried post background colours, different shades of grey and bluey/grey. Generally they looked dirty. We have found a subtle shade (1 level stronger than we had) which we think works best and this is live now. We added side borders to the posts too so they look more discrete...easier on the brain. We widened the user info on the left and gave it a border too. I think this all looks better and lowers the brightness.

BTW, google, bbc, ebay all use white background, but we take your point....perhaps we will lead the way lol

I wonder if you can pad the box the posts sit in by a couple of pixels left and right so that the text can breathe a little? Generally looks very clean, though...

A stronger grey for the lines would help I think

Agreed, Borders were actually set wrong. They are now consistent with other elements of the site.

I wonder if you can pad the box the posts sit in by a couple of pixels left and right so that the text can breathe a little? Generally looks very clean, though...

Agreed and done :)

Echo what Edwin said - huge improvement.

One other request - could the "Threads below this have not been updated since your last visit but have unread messages." message on the new posts page be made more of a visual breaker? I never bother reading anything below that line :)

One other request - could the "Threads below this have not been updated since your last visit but have unread messages." message on the new posts page be made more of a visual breaker? I never bother reading anything below that line :)

Yep not a problem, I will have to wait until I see that element later today though as ive "marked all threads as read" and so can no longer see it :) On the todo list though.

Done

Colour testing complete, new post background colour and 'sides' coming soon. Bluerock... you dont have 3 horizontal lines?
I only had (report) under the 3 lines when logged in on mobile. I now see edit and report under the 3 lines, cheers. It must have been my factor 50 and sunglasses getting in the way :)

Congratulations on getting the new site up. My initial impressions are that it is hard to see all the content and breaks between comments. Also, the date stamp appears to be posted half way up the block for that particular post which is a bit weird. Somehow it is clean looking, but cluttered. Sure most of it is just a case of getting use to it.

I like the new look. Fresh and clean. However I still can't see the benefit in having half of each post empty after the timestamp. Seems a waste of space to me.

I like the new look. Fresh and clean. However I still can't see the benefit in having half of each post empty after the timestamp. Seems a waste of space to me.

Space....the final frontier... that space labelled '1' in my attached screengrab is pretty small on your post....as an example. It is determined by the height of the member info section on the left (labelled 2) which is larger for some people. My thoughts are we could reduce the spacing between the 3 bits of info at the bottom and remove the label 'active member', 'well known member' etc. Which should compact things up a nice amount.
space.PNG

Is it really a big problem?

Start removing stuff on the member panel and people will complain.

Leave it where it is and people will (have) said what they feel.

Not having a dig at anyone, but if you start getting into this much depth with one little thing, I know (as you do to) there are other members who will come on a start taking the pee.

Good to see the changeover was a success!
The new design is much better + I like the changes already made since yesterday. (only had a brief look then).
Obv. will take a short while to get used to.

I'm probably just missing the obvious, but one thing I can't seem to find anymore is any members 'Domain Trader Rating/History'.
??

I like the new design too. Can we be given the ability to edit posts and post titles, at least for the marketplace threads?

Space....the final frontier... that space labelled '1' in my attached screengrab is pretty small on your post....as an example. It is determined by the height of the member info section on the left (labelled 2) which is larger for some people. My thoughts are we could reduce the spacing between the 3 bits of info at the bottom and remove the label 'active member', 'well known member' etc. Which should compact things up a nice amount.
View attachment 1109

There are some huge spaces under the date stamp. It would be helped if you dropped the date stamp down to the bottom with the rest, as changing the profile information is not as easy to suit all. Also, the quoting option is a pita, clicking on '+quote', scrolling down to bottom, clicking on 'insert quotes...' then selecting 'quote these messages', then entering your reply, then posting...lots of clicks.

I would also like the thread to start at the beginning when you open it, regardless of where the new posts are positions; the 'new' message on the right is enough for me to scroll down to find where I was, after a refresher of the content.

There are some huge spaces under the date stamp. It would be helped if you dropped the date stamp down to the bottom with the rest, as changing the profile information is not as easy to suit all. Also, the quoting option is a pita, clicking on '+quote', scrolling down to bottom, clicking on 'insert quotes...' then selecting 'quote these messages', then entering your reply, then posting...lots of clicks.

I would also like the thread to start at the beginning when you open it, regardless of where the new posts are positions, providing it indicates as such.
Ian....you need to hit reply not quote ☺

In fact Rob Ive just realised there is no wasted space on your post....below the timestamp line is the 'post rating feature which appears on hover over....

Yes I noticed with the signature it is reduced - however still 25% wasted space for me as the left column (joined/posts/likes received) etc is taking up a lot of space. Still, nice looking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
URL Shortener
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom