Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

new tld's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting that Google have applied for over 100 tlds though.

I wonder how B&Q feel about .DIY domain.

The lack of Geo is disappointing, I am not entirely surprised tho as the local campaign for the dot ker for Kernow/Cornwall seemed very quiet and had little in terms of resources to put together a realistic application. Many of these geo domain campaigners are niche and lack the real market resources to deliver a commercial product.

Last edited:
If I was at B&Q I'd be thinking about the potential of dominating the market, with .DIY and diy.com you would literally own the only domain term for all DIY. Plus to protect the value of their premium .com domain they should have applied for .DIY.

The fact that B&Q likely didn't apply for "DIY" (unless they're hiding behind "Lifestyle Domain Holdings, Inc" or have a pre-agreed deal with them) speaks volumes about their belief in the value of .diy as a new TLD (i.e. they think it's pretty much worthless, which is likely to be a spot-on interpretation).

Don't think they would even have thought about as they own the .com

The fact that B&Q likely didn't apply for "DIY" (unless they're hiding behind "Lifestyle Domain Holdings, Inc" or have a pre-agreed deal with them) speaks volumes about their belief in the value of .diy as a new TLD (i.e. they think it's pretty much worthless, which is likely to be a spot-on interpretation).

I have to say I am inclined to go along with your predictions about the benign effect these new tld's will have on the .com & co.uk brands.
A big winner from all this is .tv they didn't even have to apply for it, and it could get much bigger as a result of the publicity about the new tld's.

a few may do ok
95% will flunk imo or do't matter as tm holders will use for secure sites or email, whatever. many aren't looking to sell thousands of registrations

some are destined to fail
regardless of Frank Schilling's past successes gambling

wtf is he thinking .tattoo and .blackfriday amongst other bad ones LOL
flushing cash down the toilet

out of the new brandables if you want to try that sort of thing the best two are already out there in .tv and .me and they are only doing okay

Assuming applicants for the more hotly contested extensions like .hotel can't 'work it out between themselves', wonder how much these will go for during the subsequent auction.

Suprised given the nature of this whole thing that there was only one application for .domains

More surprising is the lack of .facebook, .ebay, .paypal or .twitter.

http://domainnamewire.com/2012/06/13/surprise-facebook-doesnt-apply-facebook/

It would have been logical to have seen username.twitter or username.facebook

Again, speaks volumes about how they see the domain name system evolving i.e. even a company with a "captive audience" of close to 1,000,000,000 users that it can (in essence) advertise to free doesn't believe it has a hope of changing consumer perception of the right of the dot!

well, sit back and enjoy the car crash guys
they're even paying for the pleasure :D

one question I still don't know the answer to is if you pony up $185k for a domain string and others have applied
if you don't get it for some reason, do you get cash back?

a marketing mess in my view

Again, speaks volumes about how they see the domain name system evolving i.e. even a company with a "captive audience" of close to 1,000,000,000 users that it can (in essence) advertise to free doesn't believe it has a hope of changing consumer perception of the right of the dot!

I agree with your general views on this - and personally think it is a marketing disaster waiting to happen in many respects and that a lot of money will be wasted.

Of course some of the big brands would generally go for their own "brand" I guess just because the cost involved is a drop in the ocean for them to do so, so why not ... it is in my view just brand protection for them ! Also some of the really big players might just speculate on generic suffixes to stop competitors doing so - doesn't necessarily mean they will do anything with it if they get it... and as outlined in the link referenced, some of them clearly don't see the need.

As far as the generic type suffixes are concerned I can see a couple possibly taking off - maybe .news etc but aside from that I think it has been tried before and failed and I don't see this as being any different except if it fails this time, I doubt it will ever be tried again !

well, sit back and enjoy the car crash guys
they're even paying for the pleasure :D

one question I still don't know the answer to is if you pony up $185k for a domain string and others have applied
if you don't get it for some reason, do you get cash back?

As I understand it, no.

There was a period upto a few days ago whereby you could withdraw and get your money back, but not once it's got to this stage.

Can't see these taking off personally! :)

Last edited:
As far as the generic type suffixes are concerned I can see a couple possibly taking off - maybe .news etc but aside from that I think it has been tried before and failed and I don't see this as being any different except if it fails this time, I doubt it will ever be tried again !

Yep. Even though you may not notice it for quite a while, this is THE endgame: after the new GTLDs disappear without a trace, the only game in town is .com and .co.uk (and equivalent cctlds for other major economies) for any company that's taking its branding seriously.

BTW, we're seeing more and more cases where a company approaches us about a name, then balks at the price and says they've registered an alternative (hyphenated, .eu, whatever). Then, a few weeks or months, later when the penny finally drops that they've created a branding Mount Everest to climb, they come back and sheepishly ask if the previous price quote is still valid :)

As I understand it, no.

There was a period upto a few days ago whereby you could withdraw and get your money back, but not once it's got to this stage.

if that's the case, then that thrills me lol
bunch of fools with too much cash for the most part

k, back to the real world anyway, spent too much time reading blogs etc on this today
back to the enduser enquiries
5 this month, 4 .com, 1 .org

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members online

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom