Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

new tld's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some will undoubtedly fail that’s not the “tld“ that’s the business idea behind them … For the right business these are great the likes of Amazon etc could offer there customers therename @ amazon likely hood they will keep there emails for long time… you decide what goes on, who’s aloud them, what they can do with them…. To the extreme you could block any of your competition ever being able to email them???? , even if there only used by a miniscule % of there customers there quid’s in you could say its re-inventing the wheel but this time it would be called the “amazon” all that virtually free advertising for the cost of a ten second advert on national TV bit of a no brainier,,,

Its not that other TLD etc were bad its they offered business much less control these may give them much more which most might like the idea of guess time will tell

Last edited:
Yep. Even though you may not notice it for quite a while, this is THE endgame: after the new GTLDs disappear without a trace, the only game in town is .com and .co.uk (and equivalent cctlds for other major economies) for any company that's taking its branding seriously.

BTW, we're seeing more and more cases where a company approaches us about a name, then balks at the price and says they've registered an alternative (hyphenated, .eu, whatever). Then, a few weeks or months, later when the penny finally drops that they've created a branding Mount Everest to climb, they come back and sheepishly ask if the previous price quote is still valid :)

I agree with this first paragraph, although I do think maybe one or two may make a mark (maybe .news) but only as much of a mark as say .info did previously.

With regard to the second paragraph I think this goes hand in hand with something I sincerely believe and that is that hyphens are a good investment for domainers as in the future there will be a lot more take up of the hyphenated names in .com, .net and country suffixes by end users because the non hyphenated will be able to command extremely high prices due to lack of availability and these will be bought by bigger players with deep pockets.

All in all then ... this could be a really good thing ... but as Edwin rightly says it will take some time to play out

The fact that B&Q likely didn't apply for "DIY" (unless they're hiding behind "Lifestyle Domain Holdings, Inc" or have a pre-agreed deal with them) speaks volumes about their belief in the value of .diy as a new TLD (i.e. they think it's pretty much worthless, which is likely to be a spot-on interpretation).

Not necessarily just because an organisation doesn’t go for a TLD doesn’t mean they have thought about it.
We saw last year with the ll.co.uk release that lots of companies that we would have expected to go for a 2 letter didn’t even bother. Was that because they thought ll.co.uk was worthless or they did not have the foresight?
There are lots of domains that come to mind and I thought “ybonline.co.uk” would have gone for yb.co.uk.
BTW, we're seeing more and more cases where a company approaches us about a name, then balks at the price and says they've registered an alternative (hyphenated, .eu, whatever). Then, a few weeks or months, later when the penny finally drops that they've created a branding Mount Everest to climb, they come back and sheepishly ask if the previous price quote is still valid :)
This comes back to foresight not the domain being worthless.

Some people will make a lot of money and others will lose a lot.

Were there any discounts for multiple .newtld applications by the same applicant?

I think there is only one interesting question and that is what is Google going to do with its 101 tlds?

Will it sell names under them, and if so will it allow them to be geo-targetted in Webmaster tools? Will it give them away? Will it rank them the same as .com and .co.uk - that has to be a given surely. Will they gain the exact match boost?

Seeing as Google effectively own the vast amount of landspace that is the internet, or at least chooses where visitors to the internet go, they have a large amount of control as to whether many of these new tlds will work.

For Google's tlds that match its sites (Youtube etc.) I could see that they might want to change their SERPS so that it just says "Youtube" which of course would also be bolded (since they bold the search term in the domain name, and "youtube" is the only word in the domain name) which they could probably do with a bit of wildcard fiddling.

Or of course they can have one display name in the SERPS and redirect to a different URL (so "youtube" would go to "www.youtube") but that might let competitors point the finger at them.

Proof that just because you have cash to burn does not mean you have any clue about what you're doing.
Most have failure written all over.
.ketchup hello lol :rolleyes:

I'm sure many corporate end users have been coaxed by firms like Markmonitor into applying for their extension but they don't have a strategy.
Don't overestimate the intelligence of end users :D

okay guys and girls
read this:
http://www.thedomains.com/2012/06/1...ufen-moda-moto/comment-page-1/#comment-110679

tell me if you manage not to
a/ wet yourself laughing
b/ have your jaw hit the ground through disbelief at waste of money and stupidity

I am actually speechless

Only just came across this but WHAT a waste of money! Just imagine how many truly premium .co.uks you could buy instead. You might even be able to buy a one word .com for the same money too!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
URL Shortener
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom