Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Nominet 2FA Two Factor Authentication...

I don't like the Google Authenticator 2FA, I used it on Digital Ocean then lost my phone, it was a complete pain to remove it, I prefer the current pass phrase system, or an SMS system.

Sad to report the reply from Nominet... 2FA will be mandatory, the nag won't stop and cannot be stopped, WALOB!

Sad to report the reply from Nominet... 2FA will be mandatory, the nag won't stop and cannot be stopped, WALOB!

That's ridiculous

What about people who don't have a smart phone

What about when you're overseas, or out of cell reception like deep in a building? A system that relies on a single technological point of failure is surely worse than the current optional passphrase one?

What about when you're overseas, or out of cell reception like deep in a building? A system that relies on a single technological point of failure is surely worse than the current optional passphrase one?
Oh I agree with you, but I guess that is down to the individual and their working habits. Unfortunately the passphrase option will be invalid soon enough, so there is little choice. I guess no different to many other services now, you need either your mobile phone device, or a keyfob device to help protect your accounts.

Wouldn't you already have to have Internet access in order to be able to access Nominet's servers from that location, or am I missing something more obvious?

Wouldn't you already have to have Internet access in order to be able to access Nominet's servers from that location, or am I missing something more obvious?
The point maybe that in any circumstance where you are away from your usual devices, you'd have no way of accessing the online service; but that isn't much different than most.

The point maybe that in any circumstance where you are away from your usual devices, you'd have no way of accessing the online service; but that isn't much different than most.

Perhaps a small USB memory key containing a portable edition of Google Chrome and the Google Authenticator extension (Windows) might work and therefore suffice (I've not tried it but I am aware that there is a portable edition of Chrome).

Nominets understanding of "optional" appears to be similar to their understanding of "consultation", just not the same definition as everyone else understands.

I note that Google Authenticator works on my iOS devices when in flight mode so it doesn't require an Internet connection. Should also work with iPad and iPod Touch. Plenty for sale second hand.

I'm still wrangling with Nominet on this to try and make it so 2fa is not mandatory. Apparently they are collating all feedback and my comments are being passed to someones manager...vamos a ver as they say over here.

Ok..............don't enable Nominets 2FA, yesterday tried to login to my member panel and the 2FA code doesnt work which has been on my Google authenticator since setting it up.

As a result I phoned Nominet, they confirmed who I was and told me to send a utility bill via email to confirm address/name etc and they would remove the 2FA..............I then get an email saying :

In order to remove 2fa from your account we require a signed letter from the registrant NAME asking us to remove 2fa from your account, as well as a form of ID such as a driving licence and passport.

Once we receive the letter and ID we will be able to remove 2fa from your account.

Are they really asking for a physical signed letter to be sent just to remove 2FA, its not like im asking my logins to change as well and all I wanted to bloody do was change my address on all the domains in the account due to a house move. Not what I need a couple of days before moving.

I wont be activating it again once its unlocked, I cant be doing with sending a letter every time their codes mess up. ( never had any codes mess up with any other company in all the years of using 2FA and Google Authenticator )

@[email protected] signed up here yesterday, perhaps they want to listen to their customers to provide a better service. Sure she will be along soon with an easier solution.

I should say Tony who I spoke to on the phone was extremely helpful, pitty I didnt reach him when emailing them as he said he the Utility bill would have been enough proof.

Ok..............don't enable Nominets 2FA, yesterday tried to login to my member panel and the 2FA code doesnt work which has been on my Google authenticator since setting it up.

I'm sat here with @DaveP thinking about lunch. We both wonder whether you may have multiple Google Authenticator entries for the same email address, as is commonplace and, as a result, could be picking the wrong code for Nominet? We aren't saying you're stupid, just that people make mistakes particularly when under stress (house move). :)

As a result I phoned Nominet, they confirmed who I was and told me to send a utility bill via email to confirm address/name etc and they would remove the 2FA..............I then get an email saying :

Are they really asking for a physical signed letter to be sent just to remove 2FA, its not like im asking my logins to change as well and all I wanted to bloody do was change my address on all the domains in the account due to a house move. Not what I need a couple of days before moving.

I wont be activating it again once its unlocked, I cant be doing with sending a letter every time their codes mess up. ( never had any codes mess up with any other company in all the years of using 2FA and Google Authenticator )

Reminds me of the old days when one had to post letters to undertake domain name transfers. Will they accept the material by email?

Obviously they don't know you and don't want to be responsible for giving someone access to your WDM while you could be out of contact on an exotic holiday in the Seychelles. Better safe than sorry?

I'm sat here with @DaveP thinking about lunch. We both wonder whether you may have multiple Google Authenticator entries for the same email address, as is commonplace and, as a result, could be picking the wrong code for Nominet? We aren't saying you're stupid, just that people make mistakes particularly when under stress (house move). :)

Reminds me of the old days when one had to post letters to undertake domain name transfers. Will they accept the material by email?

Obviously they don't know you and don't want to be responsible for giving someone access to your WDM while you could be out of contact on an exotic holiday in the Seychelles. Better safe than sorry?

No....one device for Nominet which is my Iphone, stupidly didnt save the backup codes ( or I did but they are now in a pile of boxes ready to head to the our new house ).

I've emailed back asking what was wrong with the utility bill that was requested over the phone, 2FA doesnt instantly grant access to my account, someone would still need to be able to know my logins to gain access and so removing 2FA alone shouldnt really be a massive deal. ( or at least being able to reset it over the phone or via email ).

When sending emails to Nominet from the domain of which the account belongs to, a document with my name and address on.... and a phone call confirming my details you would think they'd that would be enough just to turn it off and let me login normally.

I'm sat here with @DaveP thinking about lunch. We both wonder whether you may have multiple Google Authenticator entries for the same email address,

Just re-read what you wrote..............and blow me.......looking at Google Authenticator I have got two entries for Nominet. Why I have no idea as I only scanned the barcode once. Thanks @invincible I will attempt to use the second code now.

EDIT: And I'm in :D, unreal.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members online

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom