Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Nominet announces new policy consultation for expiring .UK domains

Acorn Newsbot

Reaction score
Nominet, the profit with purpose organisation responsible for the UK’s domain registry, has today opened a new policy consultation on expiring domains. This follows on from previous policy discussions on drop lists.

Following our 2019 .UK Policy Consultation, Nominet have decided to implement a more transparent process for informing registrars and the wider public when an expired domain name will be made available for re-registration. They are also considering different methods for releasing highly desired expired domains which are contested (i.e. there are multiple parties seeking to register the domain name).

This consultation comprises two areas for input:

1. Whether domains should be made available for re-registration throughout the day at a specific point in time, based on the time stamp for the original registration, or be released at a specified single point in time, say 2pm every day; and
  2. Since a very small minority of domains are intensely contested with multiple parties interested in re-registration, whether to alter the way in which Nominet release these domains. The options proposed are (1) auction model – two variations, and (2) economically controlled access to expiring domains.

Eleanor Bradley, MD Registry & Public Benefit at Nominet says:

“Our 2019 consultation showed considerable support for a more transparent process. It also raised wider questions on the release of expired domains for which there is intense competition and interest in registering. We felt strongly that changes should only be implemented after full consideration of the whole system. Having assessed a variety of options we are now inviting stakeholder feedback on our proposals.”

All stakeholders can submit consultation responses by 14 August 2020. All stakeholders are also invited to attend a virtual roundtable to discuss these issues on Tuesday 11th August. Register at www.nominet.uk/roundtable

Interested parties can find out more about the consultation and submit responses here: nominet.uk/policy

-ENDS-

Media enquiries: [email protected]

About Nominet
Nominet is driven by a commitment to use technology to improve connectivity, security and inclusivity online. For over 20 years, Nominet has run the .UK internet infrastructure, developing an expertise in the Domain Name System (DNS) that now underpins sophisticated network detection and response solutions that are used by governments and enterprises to mitigate cyber threats.

Our public benefit programme aims to improve the lives of one million people, providing support and opportunities to tackle some of the most important digital issues facing young people today. www.nominet.uk/

The post Nominet announces new policy consultation for expiring .UK domains appeared first on Nominet.

Continue reading...

Here we are in the middle of a coronavirus pandemic and Nominet announce a new consultation. Not content with increasing reg costs with introduction of .uk and increased reg fees, they now want to get their hands on those valuable expired domains that ordinary individuals and smaller companies (i.e. like many of us on acorn) have a chance of registering for reg fee.

From the briefing paper

"The current system of randomly making a domain name available over a 24 hour period results in these (contested)
domains being targeted in a technical “arms race” and drives the incentive to pool resources and avoid our
Acceptable Use Policies (AUPs)."

(contested) added for clarity

The Option 2: Economically controlled access to expiring domain is interesting:

"Those who wish to participate in drop catching may do so for a transparent cost. We are conscious
the cost and limits will be crucial to this option creating a system that is open to those that wish to
participate in drop catching whilst also disincentivising the creation of additional memberships to
circumvent the limit on the number of batches of EPP connections a single member may hold.
Our assumption is that EPP connections for drop catching would be available at a price point of
approximately £600 per six connections with a limit of no more than 10 batches per member. Even
if all domains were released at one single point in time, our analysis indicates that having more than
six EPP connections would not provide any material advantage. We therefore see no reason why
any business/individual would need more than one membership to successfully participate in the
secondary market."

"All stakeholders can submit consultation responses by 14 August 2020. All stakeholders are also invited to attend a virtual roundtable to discuss these issues on Tuesday 11th August."

Good timing that just before the mass September drops :)

£600 barrier to hinder pooling seems rather low amount.

• Agree
Reactions: Sam
Good timing that just before the mass September drops :)

Would they make a decision and implement any changes that quickly? i have no idea but seems unlikely

It would be pretty incredible if they allow big registrars to auction customers domains registered without their consent

If you are correct, and I don't think you are, why have an AUP?

Rationale for it would have been to at least try to make something workable back in the day. Likely didn’t anticipate companies springing up to offer tag hosting followed eventually by more and more registrars signing on exclusively to drop catch as individuals, all swearing on the bible that they operate wholly independently but happening to trust the services of the same tag hosting provider.

I think people will all hold their hands up soon enough and say “okay I had 5, how many did you have? 10 wow... - I always knew Barbara Stringfellow was you all along. I knew I knew”

Rationale for it would have been to at least try to make something workable back in the day. Likely didn’t anticipate companies springing up to offer tag hosting followed eventually by more and more registrars signing on exclusively to drop catch as individuals, all swearing on the bible that they operate wholly independently but happening to trust the services of the same tag hosting provider.

I think people will all hold their hands up soon enough and say “okay I had 5, how many did you have? 10 wow... - I always knew Barbara Stringfellow was you all along. I knew I knew”

Doresn't explain why they still have an AUP, but don't enforce it - and then use abuse of AUP as reason for change..

Doresn't explain why they still have an AUP, but don't enforce it - and then use abuse of AUP as reason for change..

Never gonna know if they do or don’t enforce it but should presume they do try to when they think they can. Some things just aren’t enforceable. People won’t follow the spirit of the rules.

£600 barrier to hinder pooling seems rather low amount.

Yes it's low that's even if they go for that option but it will never be the same what's better for them it will be the auction platform but let's be honest now drop catching has turned into a mess now

The economically controlled option is in tandem with exact drop times being published. It’s £600 for 6 connections with a maximum limit of 10 batches which is 60 connections (£600 x 10 batches = £6000) per annum. One could have 1-10 batches. So £600, £1200, £1800 all the way up to £6000 per annum.

Or auctions.

Would they make a decision and implement any changes that quickly? i have no idea but seems unlikely

No.

It would be pretty incredible if they allow big registrars to auction customers domains registered without their consent

Registry auction, not registrars auctioning names.

The economically controlled option is in tandem with exact drop times being published. It’s £600 for 6 connections with a maximum limit of 10 batches which is 60 connections (£600 x 10 batches = £6000) per annum. One could have 1-10 batches. So £600, £1200, £1800 all the way up to £6000 per annum.

Or auctions.

I'm being very thick here and not understanding the "batches" side of things. So you could feasibly pay £6000 a year and be able to run 60 EPP connections simultaneously?

I'm being very thick here and not understanding the "batches" side of things. So you could feasibly pay £6000 a year and be able to run 60 EPP connections simultaneously?

Yes, but domain drop times would also be published and the theory is this wouldn’t really be worthwhile unless perhaps everything dropped at the same time rather than unique times per domain name.

Alternatively, as I keep reminding, it’s registry (not registrar) auctions. What do you prefer?

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom