Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Nominet Registrant Change/Transfer

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm after a little bit of advice please.

I have sold a couple of uk domains to a US company and their funds are now sitting in escrow.com.
Escrow.com have told me to now transfer the domains only to - XYZ (the name of the buyer).
The domains are on my own TAG and I have access to Nominet Online Services, but it seems there are two ways of changing the registrant.

One, where it appears I can just add a new Registrant's details (name, address etc.) and change the Registrant.

The second is where I only need to provide an email address (and pay a £10 transfer fee - or pass this on to the buyer). Presumably, in this case the buyer will be able to enter the new registrant details themselves. What I am a little worried about is escrow.com have told me to only transfer to company XYZ - with this option, I have no control over what the buyer enters as the new registrant. I am not suggesting they will enter anything different, but if they did (for instance their personal name or another of their company names), could it be an issue when escrow.com release the funds to me?

Another option is the buyer mentioned about changing the TAG to Godaddy (whom the buyer holds their other domains with). In this case, how will the registrant details be changed?

Has anyone been in a similar situation recently and be able to say the best way to proceed. I am probably worrying unnecessarily, but am concerned re the warning from escrow.com about only transferring to XYZ.

Thanks in advance.

David

If you do change the registrant yourself and push it to Godaddy, you should first make sure the buyer has initiated the domain transfer and that it is pending in their account. That is how Godaddy will allocate the domain to their account, not based on the registrant details.
For the vast majority of registrars the registrant details of the domain do not need to match their account info. The only exception from this that I know of is Google Domains which validates the email address during the transfer.
This is one of the reasons I think Nominet should also introduce a "pull" transfer (ie using an auth code similar to gTLD). The sale of a domain to an end user would be so much easier and speed up the escrow process too.
The tag change / "push" transfer method is perfect for professionals (ie from one domainer to another), but very confusing for end users and leaves some room for errors.

Thanks to both of you for replying and for the info. I have asked the buyer for their full details and will complete a registrant change before pushing to Godaddy.

regards

David.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom