Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Private plates

I've always wondered what the big deal is about private number plates and how much they sell for. Compared to a domain name, they are just for vanity, whereas a domain name, you can build an online business from it.

There are articles online about those who appear to claim that their personalised plates help advertise their business and generate them repeat business. Pimlico Plumbers are one such firm. I imagine when some members of the public see a plumbers van drive past with LAV 1 on the plate it amuses them and they're potentially going to contact that same firm when they need such a service. Of course other members of the public might be put off doing business completely!

Others like dateless plates because these don't give away the age of a vehicle. The last of my listed plates is dateless and I like that one because it's short, memorable and personal to me. I could move it between cars and would never need to remember a new registration. Beyond that it's not much else to me. I can't call it an investment because it doesn't make me money and I won't realise what I've spent on it until I sell it and I probably never will.

Some other plates may be perceived as about wit/comedy/vanity/arrogance/{insert your adjective of choice here} or fit with the car they're on and act like the cherry on the top of the cake. In London one may find particular embassies with one or more private plates appropriate to their country of origin. They don't have to have them but many seem to like to.

Some are purchased in the hope of selling them onto a greater fool who will want to pay more to acquire a perfect plate for their vehicle.

As I child I was fascinated by them and remember one of the governors of my school had two letters + a number on the plate of his expensive Mercedes. Perhaps that's when I realised I wanted one!

I also wonder why some allegedly fork out large amounts for platinum and beyond level mobile telephone numbers (where the digits are all the same or a pattern of similar digits). I assume it just attracts certain types. :)

As I child I was fascinated by them and remember one of the governors of my school had two letters + a number on the plate of his expensive Mercedes. Perhaps that's when I realised I wanted one!

I know what you mean there, I alway's wanted D A N 1 3 L or C O A 7 3 S, but there is no chance I would ever be able to own them, I can dream tho :rolleyes:

Andy do you ever go to the dlva auctions or source other ways ?

I've been to a few and always get run up like crazy, figure there must be other ways or maybe I'm going too premium.

Prices paid at the DVLA auctions are crazy high for the average guy just wanting a nice plate, as I found out.

Trying to find a decent plate with my initials in, it's not that they're too expensive I just can't find a good selection anywhere. My initials are NW and I wanted a one or two number suffix on there.

It's frustrating because I can see loads of good plates for my dad/brother/gf, but I've been searching for months for me with no luck.

What sites do you guys look on for premium plates?

2 NWW is on the DVLA auction in 2 weeks time if that helps.

I have tried buying off people driving the cars, dead end unless your talking big bucks.

I've stuck to DVLA auctions to buy, buying from new reg and the likes are always stupid expensive. Lots of auctions go crazy fast, you start at like £300 and its at £3,000 within seconds.

I am sometimes tempted by ebay and some private auctions but not too often.

Thanks ian-d! Been keeping my eye on auctions but nothing ever seems to come up :(

Might bid on that one if I can't find something in the meantime.

Thanks ian-d! Been keeping my eye on auctions but nothing ever seems to come up :(

Might bid on that one if I can't find something in the meantime.

Expect it to sell for around £5,000

I used to have the domain privatereg but let it lapse. Have had a few car and name related plates. First was quite a poor effort at Miles G and was M111ESG, Bought a GL63 plate as when I got car from new it came with an ML63 plate (pure coincidence it was allocated) and it just didn't make sense.

I got into domaining because of an old interest in number plates - my first job was for a local office of the DVLA (or DVLC as it was then) and before long, I was involved in transferring private plates for individuals and the early traders.

There was a construction / civil engineering company called whose initials were AS, that used to retain rubbish old numbers in order to get as many new numbers (which were all AS nnnn) - in order to change a number, a new one had to be issued, of the same age as the one coming off the donor vehicle and the company realised that it would always be an AS issued for a certain aged vehicle.

The company is still going today, but I don't know if they still have the numbers - but they had a lot of them at the time. I doubt that anyone really noticed the registration numbers being used as a marketing tool.

Generally, private registration numbers are all about ego - and for this reason, people are generally prepared to pay more for a plate than they are a domain name.

I once had to transfer DJC1 (my own initials) for a lady who insisted that she wasn't a snob. She wouldn't give me the number though!

Is anyone in the Current (DVLA) Auction (Today, Tomorrow and Friday) ?

I'm down for a few. Kinda like NEW 100K fits fitness industry, not sure though.

A few nice plates going up, some good and some mad prices so far.

@admin A570UND is up shortly.

Last edited:
Is anyone in the Current (DVLA) Auction (Today, Tomorrow and Friday) ?

I'm down for a few. Kinda like NEW 100K fits fitness industry, not sure though.

A few nice plates going up, some good and some mad prices so far.

@admin A570UND is up shortly.

Watching but prices crazy high again. Steve is in Gib, I doubt he'll be allowed a UK plate there :p

I've pretty much given up on plates after someone on here tried to con me.

@Skinner ...thx for thinking of me. @ian no I'm in Spain, have been for 10 years next Jan, never lived in Gib although had a company there for a while but not anymore.

Some of the prices so far are more than some sites are selling comparative plates for. I just got destroyed on BIG 666, one minute I'm winning then bam gone.

3 more today but pretty sure I'm going home empty handed.

I didn't even think about his location heh.

@Skinner ...thx for thinking of me. @ian no I'm in Spain, have been for 10 years next Jan, never lived in Gib although had a company there for a while but not anymore.
Ah right, no idea why I thought that then, going mad!

Ive just bought this for a company car delivering vapes ;)
v9pes.PNG

Nice plate, perfect for the usage.

Are you getting the domain printed under the plate ? Like how some plates have a drop down lip at the bottom with a dealer name, phone number etc. Always wonder why companies have nice plates on their vehicles but miss this. The number of times I see number plates posted on facebook/twitter and wonder WHY!

Ive just bought this for a company car delivering vapes ;)
View attachment 1344

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members online

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom