Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

RDAP result discrepancy

Reaction score
Couple of domains , expired within hours of eachother, rdap says 1 is in redemption the other is server renew prohibitied.

How is this possible ?

quickquid.co.uk
Domain Repository Object Identifier: D_30830735-UK

Lifecycle
Lifecycle status

pending delete redemption period

Domain Expiry

2022-12-01T18:52:57Z

Domain last updated

2022-12-06T00:31:03.091101ZThe domain was last updated at this date and time. Note: the registrant contact details or details within the nameserver may have been updated at a different time. Times ending in Z means Zulu time which is the same as UTC or GMT.

Domain created

2006-12-01T18:52:57Z

Purge/Drop

Redemption Period indicates that it is still possible for the current registrant to Restore/Renew the domain.

Please see details of the .uk purge process.

flipper.co.uk

Domain Repository Object Identifier: D_24480003-UK

Lifecycle

Renewal Restricted

server renew prohibited

Lifecycle status

pending delete

Domain Expiry

2022-12-01T20:55:37Z

Domain last updated

2022-12-06T00:31:05.438355Z

Domain created

1998-12-01T20:55:37Z

Purge/Drop

This domain has now been scheduled to be purged from the registry which may allow others to register the domain.

quickquid.co.uk isn't in the nominet drop list. I think it may have something to do with renewal/restore requests being issued but not enough funds to cover current invoices. Only nominet *could* tell you but they won't. Just be thankful that now they give us a drop list and so far everything in it drops, and things not in it don't. In the old days we'd have spent all our quota chasing it.

Thanks, yep, sounds feesable, only noticed it because the software coulnt find it in the droplist

Cheers

Bill

Nominets Response :

Having reviewed the quickquid.co.uk domain, this is currently involved in a Domain Resolution, therefore not following the standard lifecycle. Once the case has closed, the domain will go back into the standard lifecycle.

Last edited:
Nominets Response :

Having reviewed the quickquid.co.uk domain, this is currently involved in a Domain Resolution, therefore not following the standard lifecycle. Once the case has closed, the domain will go back into the standard lifecycle.
I find it very strange that they have disclosed that...
I've enquired in the past for other domains in a similar situation and they've categorically declined to comment.

Once the case has closed, the domain will go back into the standard lifecycle.

That bit doesn't make sense if it's a DRS they're talking about. So perhaps they mean something different when they say "Domain Resolution, or they would have simply said DRS?

Also, how can they know the domain will go back into the standard lifecycle, what if the complainant wins the DRS, surely then it wouldn't go back into the lifecycle, that makes me think it's not a DRS they're referring to.

Last edited:
agree, most of the time they dont answer, but what was pasted was thier exact quote.

bthere is another issue, check below, you can see that these 3 domains (there are more) have gone into a renewed state BEFORE the drop date and time published has been reached (today is the 13th)

When these were added (12th March 2023) they were in a DROP state
now they say 'RENEW PERIOD' and have been renewed

rxp.co.uk

TDS-26868

booked date - 2023-03-12 00:20:01

expiry date - 2022-12-09 (rdap looked up on booking / now renewed )

drop date - 2023-03-14 20:07:22 (not yet reached)

A-Single

admin

renewed-R3

ilg.co.uk

TDS-26871

2023-03-13 00:20:01

2022-12-10

2023-03-15 01:47:51

A-Single

admin

renewed-R3

oaa.co.uk

TDS-26864

2023-03-13 00:20:01

2022-12-10

2023-03-15 15:38:31

A-Single

admin

renewed-R3

Status code "renew period" simply means that the domain was renewed within last 30 days / has not been billed yet for the renewal.
In this period the registrar can still unrenew the domain without being charged.

I'll add a description to this status like all other status codes have:
https://rdap.uk/?type=domain&object=rxp.co.uk

the 12th shows the allocation date when the domains were booked, the booking process looks up the domain on RDAP for the DROP or MAY DROP , during which time, as I understand, the domain cant be renewed.

But, the drop date isnt due yet, and its been renewed.

How do you get from DROP (no renew allowed) to renewed , before the drop date...

I contacted nominet, they apparently dont know how this could happen either..

the booking process looks up the domain on RDAP for the DROP or MAY DROP , during which time, as I understand, the domain cant be renewed.

Where does RDAP say "DROP" or "MAY DROP"? I thought that only appeared on EPP domain:check?

Looks like your booking process is messed up, the drop list is reliable and far more useful than any realtime check.

But, the drop date isnt due yet, and its been renewed.

How do you get from DROP (no renew allowed) to renewed , before the drop date...

Sounds like a silly question, by renewing it?

The last changed timestamps for the domains you mentioned match with when I see these domains disappear from the drop list.

Sorry, meant domain check not rdap lookup (that was manual of course)

first time ive seen this, as apparently have nominet

Bottom line is these domains were renewed after the domaincheck was in the DROP phase but before the drop date / time

qustion is how ?

Last edited:
rxp.co.uk was renewed on or before 09/03/202 12:00:59;
It would have otherwise entered "Pending Delete Grace Period" (ie server renew prohibited) on 09/03/202 20:07:22 and subsequently drop on 14/03/2023 20:07:22
All looks fine to me. Was the domain in the droplist itself?

Was the domain in the droplist itself?

As mentioned above, it was in the droplist published at Mar 9 03:01, but not in the one published on Mar 10 03:01.

It would have otherwise entered "Pending Delete Grace Period" (ie server renew prohibited) on 09/03/202 20:07:22 and subsequently drop on 14/03/2023 20:07:22
All looks fine to me.

Agreed, and that timestamp fits between the ones where it was in the droplist, and it no longer was in the droplist, so I'm not sure where the confusion is coming from?

Sounds like their database query that generates the droplist only validates the date, not the time too.
Quite an edge case but still embarrassing for a £multimillion company that is "the heart of the internet"

Sounds like their database query that generates the droplist only validates the date, not the time too.

What edge case? The domain was in the drop list at 03:01 on the 9th, and was probably renewed before or at 12:00:59 (well before the 20:07:22 time when renewal would no longer be possible).

Edge case in that this was renewed with just a few hours left to spare, while the vast majority of domains are renewed well before that. So the code error wouldn't have necessarily become obvious in typical day to day operations, but definitely should have been tested for.

thanks, thats the answer Ive got too, and explains the issue exactly.

"Sounds like their database query that generates the droplist only validates the date, not the time too."

Thanks Webber !

So the code error wouldn't have necessarily become obvious in typical day to day operations, but definitely should have been tested for.

Which code are are you referring to here?

If EPP domain:check continued to say that the domain was dropping when it wasn't, then that needs fixing, however I suspect not many are using that feature.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members online

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom