Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

New domain expiry process and droplists for .uk

@Ben Thomas, is that a polite way of telling me to stop sending so many creates, so as not to cause so much fluctuation :)

Good analogy, now I need Nominet sperm that are like the Mark Spitz's of the sperm world :)

What you have to remember is Nominet have not and never had admitted (from what i can see) there is anything wrong with there systems which is understandable but frustrating.

I still have a ticket open with someone on the support desk ([email protected]) and i replied to them on 3 January 2023 and still no response (from what i can see) so just have to accept this is the New (using old) Nominet now i suppose.

Nominet has one egg that we’re all trying to fertilise
Continuing the analogy, I can tell you I have sent them huge amounts of jizz over the past few months :p
In the first few weeks the brute force approach worked reasonably well. Not anymore
there’s one domain and everyone knows the time of the drop,
You only know the time of the drop within a few hundred milliseconds
Nominet have not and never had admitted (from what i can see) there is anything wrong with there systems
They outright reject this assumption

@CreativeMix The way i see it if that is there business model then good luck to them but i do also think Nominet need to make a decision and publicly announce what the rules are, what you can and cannot do and also update all the tags on the tag page on Nominets website on what tags are linked/using what system then everyone knows. Nominet know who is linked to who as they have the IP address/catch logs/instant 1ms move from 1 tag to another data. But as you say above they dont care as long as they get the revenue for the domain name.

Nominet have publicly announced it, well after their long investigation it was addressed by the CTO in a video and also via their community forum - they don't deal with acorn. Also it doesn't just benefit 2-3 people as it also benefits all the people who catch domains they wouldn't otherwise chase or catch. Tagholders who've already received the money I've already paid out, that they would never have got, might disagree with you ;) Not to mention all the people who use software to catch for themselves. But this is a dead topic now and has been since they concluded their in depth investigation. So go for it Sean - nothing stopping you enabling people to catch domains with your software. Just to be clear I'm not getting dragged back into this discussion as there's no point - just thought I'd point out that you always all conveniently forget all the (maybe 100+) tagholders that benefit who couldn't do it themselves.

Last edited:
Nobody is controlling other peoples tags. That is what nominet found out and why the whole argument is moot. Nobody chases or catches anything they don't want to - *they* decide with *their* tag. PS I don't take 50% - I'm not Denys ;)

Exactly, it’s always been the same, if you can’t beat them, join them and @Systreg there’s your answer, ask Rob if you can change to his “special” code in return for a share of your profits. It’s better to have 50% of something than all if nothing.

Lol there you go. You think that only people who use a profit share catch domains. Take a look at hostedchasing.com and the 2 and 3 letter domains, generics, and high value SEO domains that were caught by people exactly like systreg (ie for themselves) and then maybe have another think ;)

Not at all, I see that people catch on your all you can eat service. Sorry if I touched a raw nerve :D
Not at all. I was just trying to explain it to you as you didn't seem to understand. Now you know.

@sigh I am not dragging up the past just my thoughts and apologies if you think so. Just having a discussion, no finger pointing or blame game just a discussion to help others understand what to do, where to go and the rules etc.

Lol there you go. You think that only people who use a profit share catch domains. Take a look at hostedchasing.com and the 2 and 3 letter domains, generics, and high value SEO domains that were caught by people exactly like systreg (ie for themselves) and then maybe have another think ;)

I use Rob's hostedchasing.com. I am also one of the people who would struggle to catch anything without it.

He has never once told me what to catch or when to catch or asked for a share of the proceeds from domain sales.

And yet I have managed to catch all of the above: 2 and 3 letter domains, generics, and high value SEO domains.

Mad how we were all just joking about how much we spunk on domains (see what I did there ;)) and now we're back on this shit argument. Rob and Denys do a lot better than anyone else - fact. But there are some outliers like CTRL-ALT-DEL that seem to have a knack for it too, without using a pooling arrangement. Personally, I think (for us norms without 100 tags catching domains we share profit with) Nominet do something on their end to make sure we all catch a domain now and then.

Either way, I miss DAC.

I agree with you Sean, it’s not a level playing field.

That being said, didn’t you catch an LL not long ago? Lol

All software is fired at the same time. That's why it's random who gets what. When George caught qq.co.uk there were plenty of others before and after him from the same system. Nominet queue requests and process them in their own sweet time and order no matter how fast you send them. That's why it's pointless using hundreds of creates as usually by 20 you're already past the drop time no matter when you started. It's no secret. However if 10 people are auction catchers and 10 people are hosted chasers and for this example assuming there was nobody else then the auction catches have a 50% chance. People think that is Rob but totally ignore who actually caught it (only 1 of the 20). Nominet realised this and that's why they ended the investigation. And I don't take 50%. Catchers get more than me. In exchange they get to use free software. That's a business model that anybody else is free to set up. However not liking it is fine. Assuming it breaks the rules isn't because it doesn't.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input here and from those who sent PM's.

It's definitely harder with every man and his dog knowing the exact drop times now.

I don't expect to catch a great deal, and have always been like that even on the old system, but I only tend to load the best names each day, so I know competition is going to be great on those names, but as long as I catch just a few each month, and occasionally a very good name, then that's good enough for me.

Good luck with your catching.

All software is fired at the same time. That's why it's random who gets what. When George caught qq.co.uk there were plenty of others before and after him from the same system. Nominet queue requests and process them in their own sweet time and order no matter how fast you send them. That's why it's pointless using hundreds of creates as usually by 20 you're already past the drop time no matter when you started. It's no secret. However if 10 people are auction catchers and 10 people are hosted chasers and for this example assuming there was nobody else then the auction catches have a 50% chance. People think that is Rob but totally ignore who actually caught it (only 1 of the 20). Nominet realised this and that's why they ended the investigation. And I don't take 50%. Catchers get more than me. In exchange they get to use free software. That's a business model that anybody else is free to set up. However not liking it is fine. Assuming it breaks the rules isn't because it doesn't.

Your system is fine, Rob. But to make it fair, it would have to be free and open to anyone without restriction. Meaning it would also have to be decentralised. I'm not suggesting you do this by the way, because that would not make business sense, for you, of course. But it is not fair to the people who do not use your service, no which way you swing it.

However, having used your service before I can attest that you do not take 50%, and last time I used it, I found the percentage split to be very generous for the tag provider.

Not really. If you think it is then you're probably overthinking it. :p As are most people apparently. You've caught a domain. Therefore you know when to send your request. However it has to land at nominet at the exact same microsecond which is not going to happen most of the time due to multiple things out of your control.

Last edited:
I don't know. Is it better to win the lottery or sell tickets? Depends how you want to live I suppose. People do what they want, nobody forces them. However don't forget that someone actually created those earnings for them and it costs money to do it. They are always free not to earn any money by not chasing a domain they weren't aware of.. but not sharing any of their £0 :)

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom