Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Registrar Grabs Domain Name!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Ok, I have no idea how common this is, but I am not an exactly experienced domainer yet I recently experienced my first instance of this. Admittedly, it was a .dk domain (I spend a lot of time in Denmark right now), but I wonder if anyone has experienced this with UK domains, as I find it unusual if I am the first one to ever get it.

The story

1) At about 11am I search for my domain and find it is free and unregistered
2) great, thinks I and pops off for lunch
3) At about 1.30 I place an order to register it, with it still showing as available
4) At about 2.30 I receive a mail saying the domain cannot be bought as someone else just registered it

the domain in question was goldsilver.dk and it would be truly amazing if someone just thought of buying it that very same day as me.

Oh well, what can I do! :mad:

Yes

Hi, Thanks for the prompt reply and well done on your research :) Yes, 7th jan was the day I tried to register it. This other guy grabbed it some time between my morning search and my afternoon attempt to register it. I actually always use DK hostmaster to establish ownership first.

I have done some research and the company in question has a portfolio of domains shared between him and his partner, but hard to know if he's anything to do with the company I tried to register with.

Just curious if this is a common problem with uk domains too, or I was very, very unlucky.

It's happened to me once or twice with com's and co uk. The lesson is "be in a position to register as and when you find"

I wouldn't 'stew-over-it' . Perhaps change your look-up source. The law of averages, says there's about a 1:500 chance of a decent domain being viewed the same day. I would imagine the 'Successful' registrant would have thought the same had you registered the domain first

“Front Running”

Yes if you use certain registrars it’s a given they’ll do it The bs network solutions gave when caught was
“This protection measure provides our customers the opportunity to register domains they have previously searched without the fear that the name will be already taken through Front Running.!”
However, during this period, the domain is still up for sale to the general public solely through Network Solutions and is not, in fact, reserved for a specific person at all so bs really
There not the only one to do so just the biggest I suspect it still goes on and will carry on ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domain_name_front_running

Shows a method to avoid it?
http://www.domainsherpa.com/prevent-domain-name-front-running/

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom