Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Registry Advisory Council – working group announced

Acorn Newsbot

Reaction score

Nominet has announced the formation of a working group to shape the Registry Advisory Council (RAC) – a body that will give members a greater say over .UK policy and pricing.

The RAC Design Group has been drawn from respondents to the initial consultation on the terms of reference. The group has been set up to ensure the council is fully operational by June 2021.

The group – all Nominet members – will be responsible for finalising the terms of reference and scope of the RAC, agreeing how to segment the Nominet membership to ensure appropriate representation from each constituency, and defining the election process and timetable. The group will also help shape the RAC’s initial agenda, which is likely to include a review of expired domains policy and approach to future pricing recommendations. This agenda would then be handed over for consideration to the newly-elected Registry Advisory Council members.

The RAC Design Group will be chaired by elected NED James Bladel and also includes James Tuplin, Ashley La Bolle (Tucows), Rieke Poppe (One.com) and Paul Woodland (PW New Media).

Ellie Bradley, MD of Registry and Public Benefit, said: “Everyone on the design group contributed their views on how the council should move forward, and that’s why we’ve asked them to help us ensure the RAC will give members a greater voice from day one.”

The RAC will be live in June.

The post Registry Advisory Council – working group announced appeared first on Nominet.

Continue reading...

giphy.gif

OMG, that's the council they've been crowing about?

What a waste of time. Those members (Paul aside) already had the same influence privately, and are likely to have views at the same commercial end of the scale

• This is an advisory position, NOT the final Registry committee. My role is to help design what a successful Registry Advisory Committee would look like. And that to me is one that listens to you.
  • I represent myself and not the company I work for. I have my own voice and my own opinion, and all opinions are important and should be respected if you agree with them or not.
  • I agree that Nominet have made many mistakes and I myself have voted against Nominet in past motions including the release of .uk, changes to the way domains are released, .uk ‘pay to win’ drop and so on.
  • I am not being paid for or benefiting from this role in any way.
  • I put myself forward as part of the RAC design committee to ensure that our voices are heard in a constructive way. ‘We’ complain Nominet doesn’t listen, yet we turn down the opportunity for a RAC, for our views to be heard?
  • We complain Nominet doesn’t listen but where are these views on the monthly or quarterly recorded Nominet calls?
  • I would invite anyone to put themselves forward for an RAC role, particularly those with current or past grievances.
  • I believe many of the non executive directors have failed in their duties to members and should stand down.
  • I believe no one represents the domain investor segment of the membership and that our views and opinions are being lost in all this noise. Post EGM, we need a voice irrespective of the outcome.
  • I have not sold myself down the river, nor will I you. I agree with many of the points raised in publicbenefit.uk, but not in the disruptive solution proposed.
  • I believe a change in the executive team will not make any difference unless we know what it is exactly, we want, other than 'for Nominet to listen'.

Didn't Nominet use to have an advisory group back in the day and it was pulled?
The pay for play has sunk the current board.

I believe a change in the executive team will not make any difference unless we know what it is exactly, we want, other than 'for Nominet to listen'.

The members that have signed up to this action want the company to ...

1. Focus on the registry.
2. Cease investing in businesses and vanity projects not linked to the registry.
3. Significantly reduce the pay of the top executives.

You and I both know that the 'RAC' will never achieve those things so you're being either naive or disingenuous.

Hey Foz,
Irrespective of who is in charge I think ‘we’ need a voice. Someone that can put the opinions of every single one of us across whether that is with the current or new board, else the same issues people have now will be repeated again with a different board. I agree with a lot of what has been raised BUT why don’t we all get together and attend these monthly calls and put forward our views in a way which is on record. Recorded.

Reactions: foz
The RAC was ONLY suggested after the piggies realised they were about to be kicked out the trough. You're right - we do need a voice in the future. However at the moment we don't thanks and when we do it won't be the RAC. Anyone who decides to collaborate with the dictators is simply another Thornton.

Anyway. I’m going to leave this here. Just let it be on record, I’m at least going to try and fix things. If I fail. See you at EGM #2.

Anyway. I’m going to leave this here. Just let it be on record, I’m at least going to try and fix things. If I fail. See you at EGM #2.

Refusing to engage because you're uncomfortable with the questions would suggest you're not the right man for the job?

Hey Foz,
Irrespective of who is in charge I think ‘we’ need a voice. Someone that can put the opinions of every single one of us across whether that is with the current or new board, else the same issues people have now will be repeated again with a different board. I agree with a lot of what has been raised BUT why don’t we all get together and attend these monthly calls and put forward our views in a way which is on record. Recorded.

Agreed. But not with these current board members. The bridge is burnt.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom