Domain Manage

Sedo Parking - Whats the point?

Discussion in 'Selling Domain Names' started by kate-brownhill, Jul 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kate-brownhill United Kingdom

kate-brownhill Active Member

I have placed a few domains on Sedo but not sure what the advantage is of parking the domains with them? Is it not much better to place a one or two page, simple site on each domain with a for sale sign and contact details? This way, the domain will actually rank for its keywords (assuming its an EMD) and presumably have more exposure?

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

3. DomainM United Kingdom

DomainM Active Member

If you have the ability to quickly setup a simple site it will certainly rank better the sedo pages, you can always link to your sedo sales page.

4. kate-brownhill United Kingdom

I suppose my question is more to do with what advantage does the Sedo page give you if any?

5. Brassneck United Kingdom

Brassneck Well-Known Member

Agreed - if you are able to do that efficiently.

Technically, you probably ought not to use Adsense to monetise them - good chance of losing your account due to low site quality / falling foul of Adsense Terms & Conditions, but I know of some who seems to have managed to include Adsense unscathed.

Stephen.

6. bensd United Kingdom

bensd Well-Known Member Exclusive Member

I have never parked for revenue but always found a better response (more offers) via sedo than a custom landing page

7. kate-brownhill United Kingdom

This is what im trying to find out... Why? Surely even a very simple landing page which is not Sedo should do better as it has the extra advantage of a possible ranking which the Sedo page does not...?

8. admin Spain

admin Administrator Staff Member

The days of making good money from domain parking are long gone so you need to build sites with the likes of Wordpress and add some unique content, at least 5 pages plus contact info etc.

This all takes time but as you say what's the point of parking domains?

Admin

9. mattyr45 India

mattyr45 Active Member

Reduced Sales Commission on BIN prices

10. doodlebug United Kingdom

doodlebug Well-Known Member

Forgot ranking for parked pages, Google etc flag park domains and even when a parked domain goes into development it takes a short while for Google etc to un flag your domain, I know because I have 1 domain which was parked and now on the first page of Google for it's term but it took a while.

Please don't waste your time trying rank parked pages, do some single page sites with decent content and alt tagged images and the rest assuming don't want to develop them all just put them on a sedo holding page so there is something there.

Some Acorners moan that a parked domain will sell for less but that's rubbish, it doesn't affect a domain that much especially if when developed the site as plenty of relevant content and links etc.

Stop parking for profit and good luck :cool:

11. blognetwork India

blognetwork Active Member

Wordpress blog always performs well if compared with simple site or static one. Reason is blog always increases keyword density and can be used to do internal linking effectively.

If you like to see your blog to achieve organic ranking best is to post few quality contents.

Totally agreed, at least 5 pages of content + contact us page in wordpress blog works well in most of the cases. Rest keyword rankings depends a lot on other key factors like domain name, competition, quality of contents etc.

12. kate-brownhill United Kingdom

Wordpress does not perform any better than a well designed static site. I would actually argue the opposite is true but that is not for this thread. Anyway, we have now drifted off topic. I am well aware on how to rank a site, my question was what advantages do parking pages have on Sedo? i.e. why do people do it? I think I got my answer.

1. lack of will or ability to place a simple site
    2. lazyness
    3. reduced commission on BIN prices (did not know that.)

combination of the above...

Thanks,
    Kate

13. mattyr45 India

mattyr45 Active Member

You forgot

Above, kind of negates your 2nd bullet point Laziness imo.

It's a sales strategy requiring little effort.

14. kate-brownhill United Kingdom

But why would you get better response from a sedo parking page? I am missing something obvious here but no idea what it is.

The domain is on Sedo but contains a microsite so it ranks for its keywords. Why would you get a better response from a sedo parking page that receiven no outside traffic whatsoever? Any ideas?

15. grantw United Kingdom

grantw Well-Known Member

No idea, I found the exact opposite when I moved all my domains to basic landing pages that went through to my sale site - pages are indexed and there's no ads to distract people I guess.

There's also another major reason not to park domains which is that the ads can cause you proper legal issues, you only need to look through past DRS cases to see that parking a generic domain similar/identical to an exisiting trademark with the parking page showing ads relating to/competitors of the trademark holder gives them the ammunition they need to try and take the domain or worse.

Grant

16. mally United Kingdom

mally Well-Known Member

When you park a page don't forgot the potential buyer can click through to Sedo and see the traffic stats for the page (shown on Sedo) so this might encourage them to purchase the site. A solution could be to display the stats yourself on your parking page..

Here's a parking page I use, it gets the occasional click and also occasionally ranks surgerygames.co.uk

17. Blossom

Blossom Well-Known Member

Have you got a privacy policy as per Adsense requirements??

18. doodlebug United Kingdom

doodlebug Well-Known Member

I would listen to Blossom, Google aren't taking no prisoners :neutral:

There is a difference between your own holding page and a Sedo holding page, for what I know Google specifically choose to ignore Sedo holding pages and probably the same for Namedrive.

What term does surgerygames.co.uk rank for ?

Last edited: Jul 4, 2012
  19. RobM

RobM Well-Known Member Exclusive Member

I've recently moved my domains to my own landing pages. I have been getting more enquiries and had a couple of small sales. At least the sales don't have sedo's ridiculous co.uk commission. It is a shame though that sedo insist on parking with them to also sell with them. Would like to be listed on their database without their non-parking performance.

• Like Like x 1
  20. kate-brownhill United Kingdom

Rob, i have a few sites that are not parked with them but are listed... Is that not allowed? Where does it say that?

p.s Thanks for a great site!

21. RobM

RobM Well-Known Member Exclusive Member

Not a case of permission. Just, as far as I know, you can't list new ones with them unless the nameservers are set to sedos. Periodically they do a check and remove domains from your account with different nameservers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.