Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Sedo Sale: helloprint.co.uk (5,000 EUR)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Blimey... Although this just proves it, a domain is truly worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Someone might have a super premium .uk for sale but if nobody is willing to part a reasonable amount of money for it then isn't it effectively worth diddly squat?

It's sales like this that make people sit on tons of crap domains in the hope of one day landing that decent end-user sale.

For me it simply demonstrates the greed of some and stupidity of others. It also makes a mockery of the domain aftermarket.

Although the domain itself isn't worth it, you have to consider the situation also. I mean for all we know, this could be a company who makes 5k an hour and has had weeks of planning/deciding on what name/brand to go with.

Looks like helloprint com sold for €1500 2013-07-17

Same people who just bought helloprint co uk

Unusual for the co.uk to cost more.

I'd have gone to DRS and risked £750 before I'd have greased their palms.

Why?

The co.uk was registered 2011, the .com sold in 2013, so they didn't just register it because of the .com sale

From a quick search there seem to be a few companies called themselves "hello prints"

If someone asks you if your domain is for sale and how much would you like, and you say 5k and they agree, then whats the problem? everyones happy.

I'd have gone to DRS and risked £750 before I'd have greased their palms.

Risky - you're likely to lose anyway. Then the seller might ask for even more money, or refuse to sell to you at all.

If you did that to me I wouldn't sell you it for less than £10k :lol:

It's a discussion I've had many times and whilst I see your point, it makes one big assumption which is that the buyer was happy to pay the price

They completed the deal so they must of been happy.

They paid roughly 1/5 for the .com so they must have known they were over paying.

Or maybe they looked at it they would of paid £5000 for the £1200 for co.uk but managed to get the .com cheap so it was flipped

£6200 to secure the .com and co.uk of your brand is pretty good (if you didn't know the co.uk was £5000 :p )

Sorry, I'm not following your logic. How does completing a deal imply they're happy. I've bought names in the past and not been happy at the price I had to pay.

You can't of been that unhappy or you wouldn't have completed the deals?

And I'd have rather changed my name and paid someone else £20k than greased your palms ;)

Just to add, they own the .com so why not brand uk.helloprint.com and then DRS the owner of the .uk in five years.

The domain name doesn't appear to be a good one for anyone other than the .com owner.... so for me the assumption would be anyone at all enquiring to buy it, is linked to the .com owner until proven otherwise.

I don't see this DRS thing working at all. How are they going to pull that off when the .co.uk owner has seemingly owned it longer than them? All you're going to do is waste money and several months, and make the seller determined not to sell to you / ask for even more money than they would have originally.

The .com owner might not have liked having to pay what he paid... but it seems it was the best of the bad options available to him?

All of the above is probably true but let's be real, appraised purely on it's merit, this domain was never worth €5000, so best I can do is be kind to the buyer and pin this on the seller being a greedy tw*t.

I completely agree that outside of a 'ransom' type sale it was never worth 5k in a million years. But what would you have done if you were in the sellers shoes? He's obviously lucked into owning a crap domain that was inflated in value purely because someone else developed the .com. It doesn't appear that he has actively tried to buy someone elses brand name to sell back to them.

I'd have been looking to sell it to them for as much as possible. I certainly wouldn't have said 'oh this would only be worth 200 euros normally, you can have it for that'. Would you?

I suppose there is one scenario that I haven't considered which is that the buyer offered €50, the seller countered with €5000 and the buyer accepted. In which case, well done the seller for finding a fool with too much money. Either way, to my mind greed or stupidity is at play here.

It would perhaps cost more than 5k to rebrand to something else, given you'd need a redesign and purchase of a .com and .co.uk pair at the very least. I've no idea if they had a shop front, stationary or anything else.

I'm not saying greed didn't come into it from the sellers point of view.... but its maybe a bit unfair to say stupidity came into on the buyers point of view. He might never have planned to expand outside of Holland, but things change. And now he's stuck in the shitty position of massively over paying for the .co.uk but it being the least worst option available.

I've bought and sold cars, computers and domains for the whole of my adult life and work on the basis that profit is profit no matter how small. From experience I've found that more often than not, being greedy loses you the sale so I prefer to be straight and work to a margin.

I realise I'm probably in a minority but I find it frustrating when I see people express regret that they sold a domain to what turns out to be a large multi-national believing that they could/should/would have charged exponentially more money if they'd known.

Nobody knows the details of the sale. Could be a offer / accept or a ton of negotiating then the buyer having to pay over the odds to secure it.

Take your car example, if you had a car in your possession that was worth £1k last week, but then today every other car in existence of the same model got scrapped and it was suddenly worth £20k. What would you sell it for if someone wanted to buy it? :D

I think the seller must have played a good game. Most would have taken when bidding got to over 2k? I suppose if someone wants a domain you could keep rejecting offers until they stop and then go back and say ok I'll accept your last offer!

You're very wrong. The worst part about one purchase is that I sat on the name so my unhappiness has turned to regret which when I'm in the right/wrong mood can leave me feeling a little bitter, stupid, gullible ... Anything other than happy :)

Sean you shouldn't dwell on these things. They're part of buying and selling. I have spent $10k on a domain only to sit on it with no interest for years before a 'fire sale' at a tenth of the price. Sometimes taking losses is part of the learning process. :)

The Seller wasn't forced to part with £5k. I am sure most have had domains that buyers have refused to pay £80 for! They walked away because they weren't happy with the price. Hyphenated versions and other tld's are always open options to stingy (non-)buyers! :lol:

A while ago, some stingy person (very likely a domainer/techie) re-branded their business to the name of one of my one year old .co.uk's. They contacted me for the price. They refused to negotiate. They had regged the .co only the day before they contacted me. Six months later, they are still on the .co for their uk based international business! :mrgreen:

Hopefully, there will be .fokof for these kind of (non-)buyers to go reg one of these days!

Congrats to buyer and seller! :lol:

Last edited:
Don't know the history of the sale negotiations but maybe the seller just came in with a 5k offer and the seller accepted.
Sometimes time is money.

Looks like the .fr .de .nl are all part of what appears to be a large project.
I wish them well.

Driving back from the AGM I heard a radio advert for hello print citing their helloprint.com domain name. It reminded me of this thread. :)

That might have something to do with the .co.uk purchase. Perhaps people heard it on the radio and thought .com? wtf is that? let's visit the .co.uk :)

This will no doubt happen with .uk and .co.uk too. Domain extensions are messed up enough via word of mouth. The .uk extensions will most definitely follow suit!

I bought a .com domain for a company a while ago, they were about to launch a new product and had all of the extensions apart from the .com and were really set on getting the domain so they ended up paying £xxxx for a crap domain, the owner initially wanted $xxxxx for the domain so we (they) sort of got a bargain :D

This company is a rather big one, one where you and me do business with in one way or another every day and they could have easily rebranded it but no..

It just shows that when the marketing people have something in mind they will pay to get what they want.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members online

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction

Latest Comments

Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom