Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Show me a good geo site

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Sussexite - lovely site that. Masses of excellent content - thats the key feature to any geo development.

@ Ratboy

Thank you for the kind words.

By the way, for any geo domain owners on Acorn I've started collecting news about UK Geodomains in a minor way on a site called georeport.co.uk. It's mostly noting geodomain sales and stuff like that, but I believe passionately in the private sector developing good quality geowebsites on geodomains to compete with the state (which dominates geo search terms at the moment in most parts of the country).

If any geo domain owners want to talk about their geodomains, how they've developed their sites etc, either by way of a guest post or an interview-style article, please PM me.

Ok so I'm thinking I need pages for
Hotels
Guest houses
What's On
Cinema
Galleries and museums
Beaches
Shopping
Get here
Contact

I think having a what's on makes it a lot more 'hands on' than not to keep it updated. Take a look at Wrexham.com. The last going out post on the homepage was 'Bonfire night events 2011' and imo does the site more harm than good as is doesn't look like it's being kept on top of, and keeping on top of them takes time, or money.

Also, looking at your list you have hotels and guest houses first, which is probably your priority. My priority would be local information, history, the area, local knowledge, local quirky independent shops. Make a really interesting site, full of pictures, doing this will make it really easy to get quality links from similar sites but also from hotels and guesthouses as it's quality information they can refer their guests to.

You can also feature any interesting/old/different hotels/buildings/attractions, get some interesting facts/pictures/stories, write it all up then ask the owner to link to their feature from their website. (The benefit of this is you get free content, a link and a high ranking when someone searches for their hotel/business name)

Once you have all this I would then look at monetising it with the guesthouse/hotel stuff. It is a lot more work and takes longer but you'll get a lot better result than installing wordpress, sticking up lateroom banners and a hotel datafeed and then wondering where to go next.

Last edited:
I think having a what's on makes it a lot more 'hands on' than not to keep it updated.....

and..

It is a lot more work and takes longer but you'll get a lot better result

Both are very true. What's On is very popular. You can build up a core of annual events which get refreshed once a year to ease the work and supplement this with more temporary things like theatre listings and new events. You will get lots of links from people asking to be in your What's On Guide so 3 hours or so a month is worthwhile.

Like any site, go after long tail searches first where there isn't much competition. Write nice things and link out freely.

Eventually enough of that goodwill will come back to you for you to rank OK for "yourdomain" + hotels and other competitive phrases.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom