Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

So which retailer is next?

Who is likely to go bust next on the high street?

• Holland and Barrett

Votes: 13 32.5%
  • Marks and Spencer

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Argos

Votes: 7 17.5%
  • MenKind

Votes: 5 12.5%
  • Dixons (DSG)

Votes: 10 25.0%
  • Sports Direct

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Next

Votes: 3 7.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not on the list and perhaps too small to count, but Thorntons surely can't be long for this world... That, and name-any-greeting-card-chain as I suspect they're all on borrowed time in that market.

Agree with Edwin - Clintons can't be far behind.

Mega markup which is being undercut by price by places like Card Factory - and even Moonpig have an impact (especially when sending for non-local relatives)

If they slashed prices they could remain profitable, but my guess is they're to pigheaded to change

Halfords to go next.

Disagree, nearly all of there premises aren't on the highstreet and are out of town a lot of them so rents are lower, plus most people like to take advantage of cheaper than dealer costs but still not sure how to fit things so take it down for advice and fitting. I can't personally see them going out of biz (just my 2 cents)

Agree with Edwin - Clintons can't be far behind.

Mega markup which is being undercut by price by places like Card Factory - and even Moonpig have an impact (especially when sending for non-local relatives)

If they slashed prices they could remain profitable, but my guess is they're to pigheaded to change

tell you whose doing well and adapting , WHSmith as they own FunkyPigeon who are doing very well, just google Personalised Cards :)

I think Moonpig got slapped by the big G

Perhaps book stores like waterstones, border books went, more and more people getting kindles or tablets and buying digital literature. You can get a reasonable selection of books at supermarket or order online.
Argos will stay for ever where else could you get an engagement ring a flat screen tv and massaging water foot bath at the same time :)

I think that any traditional high street business (of the likes we're talking about) that does not have a multi channel sales & digital strategy will fall by the way, how many of you go to WH Smith online to buy stuff (do they even have an online presence lol) ?

Those who are early adopters or pioneers of digital solutions to retailing will be the winners & survivors. There are so many genuinely useful aps / solutions for both on & offline retailing that make it easy for the consumer and benefit the retailer immensely, mobile payments & NFC are 2 that spring to mind. Sure there is a cost to implement the tech but if you don't invest then you won't be running with the competition.

Regarding Argos, 20,000 products available to purchase online or from stores, for immediate collection or home delivery....here's a retail news article that talks about their product lines, customer focus & interestingly, their online sales via mobiles, tablets etc.

Last edited:
Perhaps book stores like waterstones, border books went, more and more people getting kindles or tablets and buying digital literature. You can get a reasonable selection of books at supermarket or order online.
Argos will stay for ever where else could you get an engagement ring a flat screen tv and massaging water foot bath at the same time :)

:lol: Too right! Argos is here to stay. I'll be well surprised if they went under!

Don't think Halfords would be on the hit list. They've just acquired the rights to sell Pinarello bikes - as used by TeamSky. They're also at the forefront of click-and-collect as well as having a pretty good niche in motoring bits & pieces. Where would I get windcreen wipers from!

Wouldn't be surprised to see someone like H.Samuels be next.

re Halfords, they have recently collaborated with the Driving Standards Agency to become the first private sector organisation to host practical driving tests.

Along with their other (commercial) partnership deals this will boost their product portfolio which will attract new business for them. Good thinking on their behalf.

Not as big, but I vote Wallis (130+ stores) to go into administration, lose their network and come back as a concession only. (Won't die altogether as part of Arcadia.)

I am suprised no one has said Maplin. The prices they charge for silly items is ridiculous and i can't believe they can compete even online.

For example :

Mapin £12.99 : http://www.maplin.co.uk/hdmi-couple...cs_search&utm_campaign=N57HT&utm_content=HDMI

Tesco £5.00 : http://www.tesco.com/direct/tesco-hdmi-coupler-for-video-and-audio-black/208-7200.prd

Amazon £0.94 : http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003RIPURU/?tag=acorn06-21

The majority of what they sell is electronic based and virtually EVERYWHERE else is selling mich cheaper than them.

Staples - They have already closed a store down in our town, with more to go nationwide. And to be fair they cant compete with the likes of pound shops that do the exact same stationary much cheaper.

toys'r'us? Seems you can get toys cheaper pretty much everywhere especially on line.

Bit of a morbid thread. But fun in a perverse online junky kind of way!

Last edited:
i would agree with Edwin, Thorntons look in a poor condition...also not in a good health are the Peacocks brand.

toys'r'us? Seems you can get toys cheaper pretty much everywhere especially on line.

According to toy trade magazine news ToysRus is set to overtake Argos as no.1 toy supplier in UK anytime soon

Having high margins in business is not a bad thing. Check out their accounts if you want to see how they're doing - you might be surprised.

My thoughts exactly, Stores like Maplin and Staples rely quite heavily on small-to-medium sized business customers who don't really need (or are prepared) to go through the price-comparisons that retail customers feel the need to. The purchase costs after-all went to the business not from a personal pocket.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

Sponsors

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel

Sponsors

Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

Shiny Nuts