Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

software to protect kids online

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can any of these software programs be configured to block shoe shops and womens fashion sites / catalogues?

opendns.org set an account, point your router's DNS to their servers and you can control everything regardless of what the kids learn to bypass (unless they can override the IP settings, then by this time they'll be doing what they like regardless of what you put in place)

Out of interest, are OpenDNS still vending advertisements from NXDOMAIN requests to support their content filtering?

Can any of these software programs be configured to block shoe shops and womens fashion sites / catalogues?

Why protect??? I have few nice aff sites. I can post a hosts.txt so big catalogue names will be forwarded to my sites ;):D

Why protect??? I have few nice aff sites. I can post a hosts.txt so big catalogue names will be forwarded to my sites ;):D

I think my wife forgets how many pairs of shoes she already has.

I've had the same pair of shoes for .... years. Shoes last for ages if you treat them right.

And she doesn't even bother to look at clothes when I take her around the charity shops. You can get some real bargains if you hunt around.

I think my wife forgets how many pairs of shoes she already has.

I've had the same pair of shoes for .... years. Shoes last for ages if you treat them right.

And she doesn't even bother to look at clothes when I take her around the charity shops. You can get some real bargains if you hunt around.

Now the best part... I am going to boast here... My missus hates shopping! :p

The setup I have is pretty good. We have Foster kids who all have laptops, games systems etc, so I looked around for some way to control it all.

We now have and iBoss web filter (http://www.iphantom.com/residential.html), it sits in the network setup between the modem/router and the machines. This means that any internet access from our network has to go through it.

With it, we can set filtering levels for each kid individually, can manually block or allow certain sites/urls, and can set different times for the internet to be available. i.e. the youngest has internet access until about 8pm, but the oldest has it 24hours a day.

We actually ended up getting the pro version, which allows remote admin, so from my mobile phone, I can switch off their internet from anywhere which is a great threat when they are misbehaving! :mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom