Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

The Petition and the Consultation

Reaction score
Just an update on the Petition to Nominet that several here on this forum have signed, and the accompanying Open Letter that was sent to the Chair of Nominet, Mark Wood.

108 members with over 700,000 voting rights have signed this petition so far. The accompanying letter called for the Petition to be included as part of the consultation and its final report back; and stated that although signatories did not all expect the 'status quo' to be kept, many members were open to change in EPP or DAC acceptable use policy. It continued: "Both registrars and members rely on access to expired names to run their businesses so to destroy some registrar business models at a time of great economic uncertainty seems counterproductive. While we understand the technical problems in policing ‘drop catching’ many of your members and registrars act responsibility within the rules set by your registry. It is how you enforce and set those rules which Nominet needs to rectify."

This evening, Mark Wood has replied to the Open Letter:

1. Executive to give an update on their thinking shortly

2. The policy team is planning a further webinar

3. Nominet has added in some time to discuss this at the forthcoming AGM

Personally, in terms of realpolitik, I believe that the strongest line for domainers to take at this time is

(a) to highlight that they are being expected to 'take the hit' even though most people have played by Nominet's own rules - eg: disassociate from the rule breakers; and

(b) call for a 24 month pause, during this pandemic and economic crisis, out of respect for members who have done nothing but whose businesses will face threat from radical changes - and use that time to explore and test out ways of making an "Option C" work - rather than the ECA and Auction options as an inevitable binary.

I really think the case needs to be pushed for a Pause Period, under these circumstances, because it's a fair case and a matter of respect for members facing hardship. Otherwise, I can see the Nominet Executive steam-rollering whatever is their favoured option.

I suggest this argument should be pressed by multiple members at the AGM.

And before anyone says it, yes I know Nominet can pretty much do whatever they want, but "so what's the point?" achieves nothing.

A number of people are preparing questions to put to the Nominet Board on September 22nd.

Thanks for the update. This is very important. While i am no longer a member of Nominet, i do use drop catching services and they are a big part of my business model.

I gave my thoughts in the consultation survey.

They have stated they will not pursue an auction model (which is the option most on here thought was the option being steamrollered). I'm not sure in the face of widespread abuse, maintaining the current system for another 2 years is sensible.

Well the statement they have released today changes the focus. I agree that more likely they will have a new model in place by this time next year. The focus of discussion now shifts to what kind of (presumably ECA) model they will construct, to put off those who want to cheat and abuse the system, without at the same time penalising those regular registrars who have done nothing wrong, but could take the hardest hit.

Change of some kind has been almost inevitable, because the old system's processes were becoming unenforceable (or so we are told - at the very least, they weren't being enforced) and frankly some players were disproportionately gaming it. July 2019 and January 2020 were clear examples. September 2020 (the next few weeks) may well illustrate it again.

However, if ECA is the future preferred by Nominet then, as has been raised by others, where does that leave Option C's (other approaches) that weren't even an option on the consultation questionnaire? There is a need for some speedy constructive thinking: and constructive alternatives to be posed at the AGM and elsewhere.

Party time in Bulgaria

It probably isn't a popular opinion but I believe they should somehow restrict access to people and companies who are only based in the UK paying VAT and taxes in the UK. I am sure people outside the UK will find away around this but at least they will be paying tax here.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom