Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

The .UK revolution

I honestly think .co.uk will fall out of favour naturally over time.

The lack of interest so far in .UK is a good thing in my opinion, good names are making it to the right people in an organic way unlike with most extensions launched in relatively recent times.

I can't imagine many small businesses being disappointed when they find out that they have to "settle" for the shorter .UK for reg fee or £300 Vs .co.uk for £5k...

Last edited:
I've just been looking for other resturant websites that use .UK as their main domain and I have to say that it's got me really excited. Below are just a handful of the websites that I've seen that appear to be all in on .UK.

The more organically created websites on .UK the better!

Some of these are cookie cutter 'put me up a 5 page website for my restaurant', but also plenty of them aren't.

I really didn't expect to find so many half decent websites that have their site on .UK and their contact details are an email address with .UK too. That's what I mean by all-in, they're clearly not bothered about being on a .UK and their names look nice!

Last edited:
Active content on .uk domain names helps. It is going to be difficult to get over the way that the public in most ccTLD dominated countries (more local ccTLD registrations than gTLD registrations) remember domain names. They don't remember the extension because it is *their* TLD. For the UK, that generally means adding the .co.uk if they hear just the left of the dot name. It takes years to change that kind of behaviour. If there's going to be a shift then it will appear first in businesses and services targeting younger users and customers.

Regards...jmcc

Active content on .uk domain names helps. It is going to be difficult to get over the way that the public in most ccTLD dominated countries (more local ccTLD registrations than gTLD registrations) remember domain names. They don't remember the extension because it is *their* TLD. For the UK, that generally means adding the .co.uk if they hear just the left of the dot name. It takes years to change that kind of behaviour. If there's going to be a shift then it will appear first in businesses and services targeting younger users and customers.

Regards...jmcc
I agree, although I keep hearing that people just use Google and don't take any notice of whether it's .co.uk or .uk, nor do they care. I wonder if anyone cares other than people that build websites.

I think that this is positive sign that at least some people that are establishing websites for their brands aren't put off by .UK.

Last edited:

I'm certain that these two are happy with their .UK registrations.

Immigration.uk are redirecting their .co.uk to the .uk.

I found immigration.uk by searching 'citizenship uk' on Google. You'd be surprised at how often I'm stumbling across .UK names.

Ok I've said it 50 million times already... But...

Everywhere
I
Look
I
Keep
Seeing
.UK domains!!!!

17166590712931195270042246065620.jpg

Yes it's a rag I received in the post from our MP, pls disregard the content. I'm pointing out domains that I just happen to see organically, I'm not going out of my way to make political statements in this particular instance.

This one is regged in .uk and the .co.uk is available.

People like the shortness

Last edited:
Saw this in my neighbourhood which made me happy – cambridgefibre.uk and they redirect the .co.uk
Local business, local registrar, local hosting 👍

Attachments

• IMG_20240326_095906507.jpg
    IMG_20240326_095906507.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 18

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom