Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Tips for DIY selling please!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I have four domains to sell: all generic TLD's related to the same arts / crafts category. After listing them on Sedo for quite some time with nothing happening I decided to try selling them myself.

I would very much appreciate some 'do' and 'don't' tips from domainers experienced in DIY selling.

Very easy for a domain to get lost amongst all the 'woodwork' on Sedo unless it's a strong generic or high traffic.

Direction for selling depends on a number of factors. If you've had them listed on Sedo then don't be shy about posting them in the appraisal section here at Acorn - then if anything can be advised, I'm sure it will be

Very easy for a domain to get lost amongst all the 'woodwork' on Sedo unless it's a strong generic or high traffic.

Direction for selling depends on a number of factors. If you've had them listed on Sedo then don't be shy about posting them in the appraisal section here at Acorn - then if anything can be advised, I'm sure it will be
Many thanks Bailey. Will do

Think end user, not developer, domaineer, auction etc in the first instance… Research put in the leg work and approach as many as you can either letter, email, phone, carrier pigeon whatever it needs to get across how good it is and that its for sale .. Have your sales pitch ready and the payment method sorted out before you sell it can help a great deal that they can say yes there and then and you can sell less barriers the better... In most cases there’s no short cut if you want to maximize profit or sell it at all..? If there is a buyer out there you should find them…

Last edited:
Think end user, not developer, domaineer, auction etc in the first instance… Research put in the leg work and approach as many as you can either letter, email, phone, carrier pigeon whatever it needs to get across how good it is and that its for sale .. Have your sales pitch ready and the payment method sorted out before you sell it can help a great deal that they can say yes there and then and you can sell less barriers the better... In most cases there’s no short cut if you want to maximize profit or sell it at all..? If there is a buyer out there you should find them…
Many thanks for your advice Namealot. I'll take it on board.

Firstly, make sure you have good domains to sell!!

Then I advise writing letters rather than e-mail - letters are better at getting the attention of the right people, and they can't be deleted as easily as e-mail.

In your letter, explain why owning the domain will help. If it's a generic, these points might help. You can use my ideas, but don't copy the text word for word please.

Rgds

Firstly, make sure you have good domains to sell!!

Then I advise writing letters rather than e-mail - letters are better at getting the attention of the right people, and they can't be deleted as easily as e-mail.

In your letter, explain why owning the domain will help. If it's a generic, these points might help. You can use my ideas, but don't copy the text word for word please.

Rgds
Thanks very much for the link Accelerator, very useful. Your advice about writing rather than emailing is certainly interesting. These days one is so used to emailing it is easy to forget that there are occasions when writing may be more appropriate and effective.

I have found emailing to be very succesful!!! As people have said depends on size of the company your pitching to if there local could always arrange to meet.

I get most my sales of websites and clients in person at trade shows and shops these days.

Previously had a lot of luck with a very nice letter. I used a nice quality off white paper, matching envelope, printed with a nice crisp typeface on a good printer. I actually bought a lexmark printer just for this job as they have one of the best print quality for text IMO.

I found a run of the mill looking letter goes in with the rest but a well crafted letter looks important and gets treated as such.

I did post a while ago the exact paper I used.

Its also worth spending time constructing your letter so as not to repeat yourself, give them the facts, and the hard sell without it looking like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom