Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

.uk domain right

Status
Not open for further replies.
It might make sense to have them for other reasons, but I don't really see it being an issue if you're looking solely at acquisition of the .uk

Either they give them all to the .co.uk owners, or they give them to the oldest registrant - you're going to get it either way.

The consultation has ended and there's nothing we can do except wait for the outcome (in November, with a bit of luck) since we won't learn anything at all until then.

learn more

The consultation has ended and there's nothing we can do except wait for the outcome (in November, with a bit of luck) since we won't learn anything at all until then.

I agree its too late to effect the outcome until November.

However I believe you can learn something more by seeing some published feedback from a variety of organizations, especially non Domainers,
such as CBI, Federation of Small business, UK Government and ICANN etc.

I have only seen Open Rights Group response yet;

https://www.openrightsgroup.org/ourwork/reports/response-to-nominets-second-.uk-consultation

and their action blog 'Say no to Nomitax' (20-09-13)
https://www.openrightsgroup.org/blog/2013/say-no-to-the-nomitax

Sad thing is the BBC are likely to be ones to move to .uk and add some weight to it. The double kick in the teeth is the licence fee payers will be funding the rebranding so double kick in the teeth.

.bbc?

Sad thing is the BBC are likely to be ones to move to .uk and add some weight to it. The double kick in the teeth is the licence fee payers will be funding the rebranding so double kick in the teeth.

I thought the BBC had applied for new gTLD .bbc ?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-18428324

So who knows what they will do?

I suggested Nominet meet with BBC last year to convince them of the benefits of staying in the UK namespace and they said they would follow it up.

This would be my ideal scenario - BBC going to .uk first, quickly followed by a couple of the bigger newspapers.

I feel that if we don't get some major players making the jump, .uk is doomed to just be another crappy extension that nobody uses or wants.

Look guys, if .uk goes ahead, it'll be a sure thing that a moveover will be carried out by most corporate users, probably within a 1-2 year time frame. The .co.uk will migrate to the lower leagues, the same as .org.uk & .me.uk.

It won't be a sure thing - many businesses will be way of changing for a variety of reasons, worried about losing seo rankings, don't want to repaint their vans, have piles of stationary, don't want to change email addresses, etc.

I think if the big players don't change over in the immediate launch... its going to fall flat on its face and be a complete disaster. If they change first I could then see a lot of others following suit.

Look guys, if .uk goes ahead, it'll be a sure thing that a moveover will be carried out by most corporate users, probably within a 1-2 year time frame. The .co.uk will migrate to the lower leagues, the same as .org.uk & .me.uk.

If what you're saying is right then the co.uk would not be used at all in ten years.
Unlike the org.uk and me.uk whereby one did not feel the need to register them if using a co.uk, the co.uk and .uk will essentially need to be registered together, so if everyone eventually moves to .uk ( easier said than done ) they will absolutely have to hold the equivalent co.uk and that will not be used.

Eventually critics will want owners to release these domains in the interests of start up's and the like who cannot get a domain of their choice.

There has never been an identical situation where a further extension to your name was essential to protect your corporate interests.

This would be my ideal scenario - BBC going to .uk first, quickly followed by a couple of the bigger newspapers.

I feel that if we don't get some major players making the jump, .uk is doomed to just be another crappy extension that nobody uses or wants.

If google redirect their google.co.uk to google.uk that'll be a huge endorsement I'd suggest.

Google doing it would be great... but I don't see them throwing their weight behind new domain extensions and I really doubt they will be changing. I think the BBC are by far the most likely of the big players to do it.

I can't see this going through without .ac.uk domains getting adequate protection too (i.e. if a domain exists on .ac.uk then no .uk will be released).

For example, I can't see how it would be possible to launch Manchester.uk when there's a university on manchester.ac.uk and an official website on Manchester.gov.uk.

Same with dozens of other cities..Sheffield, Leeds, Birmingham etc..

Even the UK's biggest graduate careers and jobs website, Prospects.ac.uk, wouldn't get rights to .uk under current scheme as they don't even own the .co.uk.

I really think the only way that .uk MIGHT go through is if they block ALL 2nd level registrations where active websites on .gov.uk and ac.uk exist. I also feel there would need to be a blocking of strategic importance domains such as all cities, places, landmarks..

compensation?

I can't see this going through without .ac.uk domains getting adequate protection too (i.e. if a domain exists on .ac.uk then no .uk will be released).

For example, I can't see how it would be possible to launch Manchester.uk when there's a university on manchester.ac.uk and an official website on Manchester.gov.uk.

Same with dozens of other cities..Sheffield, Leeds, Birmingham etc..

Even the UK's biggest graduate careers and jobs website, Prospects.ac.uk, wouldn't get rights to .uk under current scheme as they don't even own the .co.uk.

I really think the only way that .uk MIGHT go through is if they block ALL 2nd level registrations where active websites on .gov.uk and ac.uk exist. I also feel there would need to be a blocking of strategic importance domains such as all cities, places, landmarks..

I know domains are not afforded the same rights as land ownership.

But do you think "compensation" be paid to the UK domains owners who would be entitled to .uk, who are caught by your proposed suggestion?

But do you think "compensation" be paid to the UK domains owners who would be entitled to .uk, who are caught by your proposed suggestion?

100% No.

It's not a case of compensation it's a case of confusion and security.

Careful, you might make Edwin cry. Or produce another pdf report.

I think it would be fair overall to go outside of the 'earliest first' for very important domains... but its a slippery slope and could potentially lead to months/years of haggling and disputes. Where exactly would you draw the line? City names? Tourist attractions? What about tourist attractions that are privately held, for profit companies, like Madame Tussauds, football team stadiums, etc. It would be extremely hard/impossible to use a set of rules that gave you a yes/no answer.

Zero chance of compensation - you've not lost anything, you've just not been given a freebie. Your old domain will work just fine.

I can't see this going through without .ac.uk domains getting adequate protection too (i.e. if a domain exists on .ac.uk then no .uk will be released)...

I can see that logic to be honest, these have been restricted domains from day 1, just like .net.uk and .ltd.uk.

However, given Nominet do not administer this extension, and Janet/Ukerna pre-existed Nominet, it is surprising to say the least that little opinion has been forthcoming from them.

Last edited:
I can't see that logic to be honest, these have been restricted domains from day 1, just like .net.uk and .ltd.uk.

However, given Nominet do not administer this extension, and Janet/Ukerna pre-existed Nominet, it is surprising to say the least that little opinion has been forthcoming from them.

I assume he means if oxford.ac.uk is a registered domain then oxford.uk won't be released. So it would leave a lot of very unhappy {city name}.co.uk owners

I don't understand - I'm being really thick here..

manchester.ac.uk, prospects.ac.uk etc just carry on regardless -

manchester.co.uk, manchester.org.uk, manchester.me.uk hasn't changed anything so why should the release of manchester.uk?

Why would being an .ac.uk put them in line first - and why do they need/want to have .UK anyway?

Protection from what exactly? If .ac.uk and .gov.uk need protection, then all domain extensions should need protection. how about if there's 2 competing domains for a .uk, then no uk is released. they may as well just scrap the whole idea of .uk if they are going to not release certain names.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

Sponsors

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel

Sponsors

Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

Shiny Nuts