Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

value of .co.uk vs .com

Status
Not open for further replies.

js1

Reaction score
Hi All,

I know that it’s going to be hard to give advice without a knowing the sector but be grateful if a rough guide could be given.

.co.uk vs .com

I am in talks with domain owner about his two domains, both work well both in the UK and the US (Although I would only use the chosen domain and the seo carryied would be based on the UK market).

The domains have over 10,000 exacts...

Given the above the question is what would the

.com £ cost
.co.uk £ cost

Trying to get my head around the general price difference between the .com and the .co.uk.

Cheers.

ok, no answer to this really
sometimes the .co.uk is worth the same
most of the time it's not
I would say about 10 - 20% of the .com worth , very very loosely

again sometimes for the very top terms i would say .co.uk worth much smaller percentage
for example sex.co/uk didnt hit £100k reserve I think when on auction
whereas .com sold for 8 figures

but for supreme keywords you're talking telephone numbers anyway
eg. it wouldnt surprise me to see music co/uk for example one day sell for 7 figures sterling
the com if ever sold undeveloped would break all records but may only go for 10 times the .co.uk

sometimes i see a .com sell that is a great 2 word generic brandable for say 10k and the .co.uk isnt even regged
as somehow it only works on the .com
and the owners/developers aren't thinking backyard theyre thinking global

if you can get both from same person, get both and work a deal
as a Brit it makes sense to own both and as you know domains dont have fixed prices, we are all free to up and down the prices whenever we want

Last edited:
If you do not intend to enter any other market, then for me, i would be going for the co.uk

Given the co.uk is maginalised the price should be significantly lower. COM would give you a global opportunity and the price should reflect this.

Another thing to think about in terms of seo, you can attain equally good results with an org.uk. I would be purchasing this as well. (might still be free to reg?)

The other thing to think about is if you purchase the co.uk only, does this leave the door open to someone else to purchase the com and be in direct competition with yourself?

If you can afford it, it may be wise to purchase all 3 and consolidate. If this is not an option, i would be purchasing the co.uk and the org.uk

Last edited:
It is one of my pet subjects but in all honesty - i can only approach it from a marketing/presence point of view (an area of understanding i'm more familiar and successful with).

However, without knowing the domain in question and therefore "market relevance" and therefore dozen or so more general domain criteria. Then I would be the first to admit " you cant over generalise" It does take a couple of hours if you really wanted to nail something down. I'm happy to give the domains 20 minutes of my time if you want to PM them over - just double check their not registered to me (I can hope)

Many thanks for the replies...

It’s not in my budget to get both, there pure generic two keyword domains,
Been with this guy since day dot and he wants a fair price for them...]

I have in mind what I am willing to pay / what the .co.uk is worth to me etc, but I am drawn to the .com so maybe a 10 to 20 percent higher price for the .com then???

I would be happy with 10 to 20 percent higher price for the .com
All the extensions have gone .org.uk went many years ago etc.

Once again sorry for the cloak and dagger / vague post, just really unsure of what a .com vs .co.uk would cost in any sector.

The above post have helped for sure, thank you.

I think you misunderstood pred. He is suggesting, in general, a .co.uk is worth 10/20% of the cost of .com... Not that the com is 10/20% more valuable.

With all due respect to pred and his knowledge of Both markets. I'd quite surprised to get domains generally into those ratios . But I agree it probably will have some massive bearing on the price ratio if you take both domains from the same UK based owner - However,don't expect the same level of willingness from an American (type thinker) that also happens to own the .co.uk

yes, Peter is correct
that's what I meant
only imho as a rough guide

I think you misunderstood pred. He is suggesting, in general, a .co.uk is worth 10/20% of the cost of .com... Not that the com is 10/20% more valuable.

I did miss read :( sorry pred.... thanks for putting me right peter (wishful thinking maybe)

As an example if the domain was builders

How much more would the .com cost vs the .co.uk

Very greatful for all the post and time given to help me here.

i do stress though it's not a formula as there isn't one and all domains are unique
what buyers will pay, what sellers will sell for
do they need the money?
are they tech related/ are they geo?

i mean a lot of uk developers / buyers in geo space only want the .co.uk and value the same as com, even prefer

another example the owner of republic.co.uk just shelled out 200k$ for the com
now all depends on how deep buyers pockets are and how badly he wants
i noticed he even paid an unusally high sum for the .eu as wants to mop up

but if he owned the .com and was trying to buy the .co.uk it's highly unlikely he would pay that for the .co.uk
BUT
having said that, he is a uk business and if he's rich enough and the seller is savvy enough and not short of a few quid why couldn't he get 200k$?
it would be a very surprising sale and few would ever ask that amount for such a domain but just to stress theres so many factors

again without knowing the domains hard to say but if you plan on developing and want to make a success I would strogly advise getting both as he might jack up price when you come to get the .com
or if you have an exit plan the new buyers may be a more than a little dismayed you don't have the set

why not buy the .com as the .co.uk is prob less valuable to him on own and get an agreement from him that you have an agreed price to buy the .co.uk in say up to 12 months and thats part of deal
if you dont make a go of it then you lose nothing
if its a success, you get to buy other extension for fixed price and he gets another sale

@pred

Many thanks for your reply, its not in my budget to get both its one or the other or nothing (or I have a plan be a different domain).

I know what the .co.uk is worth to me personaly and what I am will to pay for it.

The nearest example I can give would be

builders.co.uk and builders.com

What would you say the price difference is on these?

Many thanks for your time.

Last edited:
Interesting thoughts pred - I'm not sure a domain buyer is expecting to pick-up the whole set. They always seem overly focused on the domain they want without a great deal of thought for plural/singular ext alternatives etc.

I've still yet to receive an email that put a matching request to a .com/co.uk pair.(that I can recall) But, then I have to accept that I've really never been very active in the UK market

Interesting thoughts pred - I'm not sure a domain buyer is expecting to pick-up the whole set. They always seem overly focused on the domain they want without a great deal of thought for plural/singular ext alternatives etc.

I've still yet to receive an email that put a matching request to a .com/co.uk pair.(that I can recall) But, then I have to accept that I've really never been very active in the UK market

Twice in the past I've sold a domain to someone who has also bought the same name in different extentions and their plurals from other sellers.

The one that sticks out in my mind was a .us I had (yes I know I shouldn't have had it) that I was letting drop when I got a 4 figure offer for it. I had to pay Godaddy $80 to get the name back out of redemption but...a week or so later there were reported sales on dnjournal of the similar names.

So it does happen, just not often.

@pred

Many thanks for your reply, its not in my budget to get both its one or the other or nothing (or I have a plan be a different domain).

I know what the .co.uk is worth to me personaly and what I am will to pay for it.

The nearest example I can give would be

builders.co.uk and builders.com

What would you say the price difference is on these?

Many thanks for your time.

This might sound odd, but the example of 'builders' is hard to compare. It's too generic.

A better example perhaps would be carinsurance.co.uk vs carinsurance.com

IMO, purely as a domain the .com would be several $millions and the .co.uk maybe £350,000-£1.25m just due to the size of the UK market compared to RoW and US in particular, and who the buyer is.

if it's a global term then remember there is a global market of 7 billion and a uk market of just 70 million

If the term is purely uk recognised then prices will be similar, the co uk could probably be worth more, if the term is global then the .com is 10, 20 maybe a hundred times the value of the co uk.

recent sedo .com sales

Republic .com $200,000
filly.com $35,000
Repay.com $30,000

Bigger market = more competition for ownership = more sales = higher prices.

Simples

Many thanks for all the great thoughts and for your time.

Final offer sent...

Cheers....

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom