Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

watch your credit card PIN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Someone just told me that they went to Esso, typed in their PIN number and the clerk had rigged it up so that the numbers came up on his screen as she typed.

She subsequently lost money and it was traced by police back to that Esso station (nr Leicester).

Apparently it is quite common in France too.

PINs not safe.

yesterday

Someone got jailed last week for using an iPod to store the modem noise from an ATM in a small shop. How's that for secure? :)

Tbh the pin thing has gone on a while, i read about the cloning thing too years ago, you know , where you give them your card in a chinese & they walk away with it. Come back & you sign? Yeah, 24 hours later there's a cloned card doing the rounds. Nightmare. They urge you now to never let it out your site.
The ipod thing, blimey, that's worrying. How did he get caught? Someone must have been on ball!
Pred

in regards to the ipod thing, he was pulled over by police for speeding, they saw the equipment and nabbed him :D

I recently had my card details nicked while buying tickets for Wales v Brazil at Spurs... theiving sarfeners.

Got £500 out and tried a further £2k - lucky I stopped the card :)

The stupid thing was that orders were £150 online food shopping and £100 on chocolate etc - so Plod would be able to go around to the order addresses and do abit of old skool detective work. Or not as the case may be :)

All fully refunded but still was a pain in the arse to get a new card couriered across the globe :(

Spurs = crap team + dodgy ticket office.

I predicted a few years ago that Chip&Pin = more & easier fraud...

Entering a 4-digit number or signing a signature - what is easier? Doh!

fraud

bought tickets on line for euro millions on card only used for online transactions , 3 days later charges against card for online gambling and tickets for cinema in london...bank refunded as I was in bank at time tickets bought...z

bought tickets on line for euro millions on card

from www.national-lottery.co.uk or one of the other sites?

I bought a ticket online but took me a few minutes to get past all the affiliate crap in google to find the real website

at the BP garage near me in Reading, when chip and pin first came out, my missus was asked for her pin number by the bloke behind the counter!

Fortunetly she was wise to it and told him where to go, but how many people have fallen for it??

seems a lot of fraud goes on in petrol stations....................

I refuse to use it, I have never use it! Nor do i use ATM

"cash is King!"

I'm thoroughly hacked off with this fraud stuff. My card got cloned about 2 years ago. My word of advice is NEVER use a Visa Debit card. Basically, if it's a debit card (even though it's a Visa) they don't have to give your money back. Luckily I got my cash back and I only use my credit (rather than debit) card now only where it is absolutely necessary.

Identity fraud is also becoming increasingly common. There is literally no way of stopping it given criminal gangs have now infiltrated call centres. You can keep on eye on your credit record at Experian just to see that no-one is applying for anything in your name but that's about all you can do.

PS. Any franchised petrol garage is a big NO for using your card - those always seem to figure when you hear the horror stories.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

Sponsors

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel

Sponsors

Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

Shiny Nuts