Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

What do you do with your domains?

RB5

Reaction score
Inspired a bit by this post from Trauiner:

If you have all these domains you talk about, can I ask how you fund them seeming as you mention you can't sell them?

You've been spending all this money since 2013, with no return? That seems like an odd thing to do.

Personally, I hold around 200 domains with a total value in the 20-30k range. Never sold a domain, all are registered with the aim to build on one day if I eventually find the time.

I designate 2-3 years where I am "allowed" to renew a domain. If I've done nothing with it, I can either actively look to sell it or let it drop.

I'm a very practical person. Even if I think a domain "has legs", there's not point in keeping it if the reality is I'm not going to do anything with it. I don't have money to burn like that.

Generally, I register them with an idea in mind, never get around to implementing it, and allow them to drop a couple of years later.

Very occasionally, I'll get really attached to an idea and spend 15-20 years not doing anything about it.

I designate 2-3 years where I am "allowed" to renew a domain. If I've done nothing with it, I can either actively look to sell it or let it drop.

I'm a very practical person. Even if I think a domain "has legs", there's not point in keeping it if the reality is I'm not going to do anything with it. I don't have money to burn like that.

100% this is my thinking.

I've got probably 200 - 400 ish i think now, many have a purpose and are either used or waiting for development... But I make one or two decent sales a year to offset it. I did consider turning off auto renew for a bunch this year though......but never got around to it so maybe next year.

I need to start doing this. I currently have about 400. Sell a few every year so it nulls out, but i need a cull.

I don't do anything with my domains none are websites none are monetised, I have an idea and buy a domain names on the idea but have no interest in websites etc but the domain name purchase gives me a time and date of the idea etc

90% I buy to flip, maybe 10% I'll set aside to develop into whatever crazy idea my ADHD comes up with this week, maybe 2-3% are developed into said ideas, with maybe 0.4% being completed :D #StoryOfMyLife

the reason why I don't build a website on my domains is because if a person is going to buy a domain the first thing they would do is delete the existing website and build their own , example, when i used to own a one keyword . legal (new gtld) it wouldn't matter how well designed a website was on it I could not complete with the website designers of the $1b legal firm that bought the domain and although I let the domain expire and they then bought it I still look at the website that they built on a domain I used to own and think I used to own that domain which puts a smile on my face

If it is trolling, it's some serious waste of time.

Similar in thought process to registering many hundreds of domain names and never selling them.

Also, billion-dollar company websites are rarely any good, with only maybe Apple being the exception.

Every post you have written.
Because I only buy . com's and new gtlds and watch global domain YouTubers then I see the UK domain name investing industry don't even recognise or understand that gtlds are being bought by UK businesses and just as with .com and .co.uk and .UK etc every gtld bought is a .UK or .com sale lost etc it's quite amusing to watch the .UK domain industry decrease in size

Because I only buy . com's and new gtlds and watch global domain YouTubers then I see the UK domain name investing industry don't even recognise or understand that gtlds are being bought by UK businesses and just as with .com and .co.uk and .UK etc every gtld bought is a .UK or .com sale lost etc it's quite amusing to watch the .UK domain industry decrease in size

Exactly. If you are not interested in the .uk market, why are you here? It can only be to troll.

Similar in thought process to registering many hundreds of domain names and never selling them.

Also, billion-dollar company websites are rarely any good, with only maybe Apple being the exception.
the domain I used to own that was bought by one of top 50 legal firms in the world that has 1400 lawyers with $1b rev - I understood new gtlds before they were issued in years before 2013 and yet many UK domain professionals still don't understand new gtlds in 2022

Exactly. If you are not interested in the .uk market, why are you here? It can only be to troll.
just because I watch the world's best domain name investors and brokers and global sales etc I still have an interest in the UK domain name market but the two markets are very different

the domain I used to own that was bought by one of top 50 legal firms in the world that has 1400 lawyers with $1b rev

I don't care.

I understood new gtlds before they were issued in years before 2013 and yet many UK domain professionals still don't understand new gtlds in 2022

This reeks of a superiority complex.

Just because this is a UK focussed domain name forum doesn't mean we don't "understand" gtlds.

The very fact you have many hundreds of gtld domains in your portfolio that you're unable to sell showcases that you actually don't understand gtlds at all. You just got lucky on one or two occasions.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom