Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Which do you choose?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Buyers tend to assume all domaineers want a million quid per domain, and when not assuming that they assume you wish to give it away. So going theory is putting a fixed price filters out the nonsense down to the genuinely interested parties.

If you have a fixed price and someone still makes contact you are halfway there.

If you don't you can attract people hoping you will sell a £x,xxx domain for 5quid. In this case usually a fellow domaineer.

Buyers tend to assume all domaineers want a million quid per domain, and when not assuming that they assume you wish to give it away. So going theory is putting a fixed price filters out the nonsense down to the genuinely interested parties.

If you have a fixed price and someone still makes contact you are halfway there.

If you don't you can attract people hoping you will sell a £x,xxx domain for 5quid. In this case usually a fellow domaineer.

Yeah I've heard that a fixed price would probably be better, but I kind of want to see what type of offers I get (although I know that I'll get some really low offers!). Not even sure if it's worth using Sedo really!

I assume that there's no other fees on top of this 10-20%?

In terms of offers put yourself in the position of the buyer. Say Donuts.co.uk is up for sale.

1. £5000. That's it, either pay that or sod off.

or

2. Offers. Well as the buyer you wanna go as low as possible. Very fact the person hasn't put a price on it makes you think they haven't got a clue either.

You are not going to offer £5k that's for sure, not when you haven't even checked if £50 will do the job.

So if you are not fussed what you get then offers is good. That way off chance someone might snap your hand off. But if you do care what you want for the domain then fixed price. If you are just speculating to appraise the domain because you think it's worth xxxx part of you wants to see if anyone even vaguely agrees then offers is the right route.

In terms of offers put yourself in the position of the buyer. Say Donuts.co.uk is up for sale.

1. £5000. That's it, either pay that or sod off.

or

2. Offers. Well as the buyer you wanna go as low as possible. Very fact the person hasn't put a price on it makes you think they haven't got a clue either.

You are not going to offer £5k that's for sure, not when you haven't even checked if £50 will do the job.

So if you are not fussed what you get then offers is good. That way off chance someone might snap your hand off. But if you do care what you want for the domain then fixed price. If you are just speculating to appraise the domain because you think it's worth xxxx part of you wants to see if anyone even vaguely agrees then offers is the right route.

Thanks, I agree with what you're saying. Will have a think about it anyway.

If its your co.uk from the other day it its not eligible for the 20% because of the .uk transfer system so one less consideration.
Not sure about the 15% option you would have to check with sedo if they promote them.
I generally just mark up the price I'd be happy with by the percentage I'd be charged when listing at BIN.

I am gradually moving over to a 100% fixed price model for domains I consider to have a value less than £500, and 75-80% for domains I consider to be worth less than £1000.

For names with a value over £1000, I'm currently leaving them as "make offer" as I think the higher value names often take a bit more of a sales pitch/negotiation – within the next year, I may well move over to a fixed price model with those too.

The thing with fixed price/buy now sales is getting the price right, not the easiest of thing to do sometimes when it comes to domains.

I do however think that fixed price sales are far more appealing to your average end user buyer. Plus the commission rate drops from for 15% to 10%, which is always nice.

- Rob

Last edited:
Thinking about putting up a domain on Sedo, I want to go with "Make Offer" but not 100% sure which is the best option to choose. 10-15% and 20% is a decent difference, and not entirely sure what to go for.

Here's the page with the different options:
https://www.sedo.co.uk/uk/sell-domains/overview/?tracked=&partnerid=&language=e

Jamie.

Buy now is a brilliant concept.
Find the price you think is value to an end user ( when you are establishing that price consider who can use the name, what they will use it for, and of course the benefits that can be derived from the name ) then set that price as a buy now.
sedo charge 10% and that's very fair.

Setting a Fixed price is always the best option. Cuts out all the 'too and throwing' that comes with 'make offer' (which is painful enough when your in direct contact, let alone through a broker)

If you get it about right - 90% of potential buyers aren't going to be wasting your time. The most painful and 'headbanging' lesson I've learnt over the years (yep it took a while) Is not to respond to unsolicited enquiries (I don't list my domains) with something like "Would you care to share your price expectations" Which is the same as 'Make offer'

Put a bit of ground work in, and hopefully come to a reasonable figure you'd be happy with - No matter who the buyer is - which should be irrelevant to your price-point anyway

I prefer the 'Make offer' option as I can be very flexible on prices. I know lots of people have had success with fixed prices but I prefer not to put off a potential buyer just because of a few xx, xxx or xxxx. When listing on Sedo, this means I can always mark up the price I'll accept by the Sedo fee.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom