Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

A Case study for buyers and sellers alike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
A CASE STUDY

The year is 2005
John is a businessman, he's been running his business for nine years and it's quite successful, as small businesses go.
One day a guy comes into his premises and informs him that he needs a website, he gives him all the reasons why he is losing out and has to have an online extention to his current operation. John says he has considered it but his enquiries on prices have detered him, he knows nothing about technology and the girl who keeps his in house accounting system wants nothing to do with it.
Frederick, the website guy, says he can do the job for £xxxx, they discuss this and Frederick is pleased that there is an amount available for this type of project.
OK says Frederick I'll go away and come back with my proposals next week and while I'm gone can you think of a domain name. Oh, said John I know what I would like the website to be called I've discussed it with my mates in the pub and I want xxxxxxxxxxx.co.uk if you could get that name I would go ahead. Well said Frederick thats a good name, it's generic, it ticks a lot of the boxes, it's certainly memorable and discriptive of your business, I'll register the name for you later today.
Frederick immediately rushes off to start the ball rolling by registering the name only to find it's already been registered 4 years earlier. Damn, I need it he thinks, so he tracks down the owner who tells him he wants £1800 for the name. What ! Frederick shouts, you rip off merchant, you paid £5 for it I'll give you £50 that's a 900% profit for you. No, the name is £1800 firm says the domain owner. Well thought Frederick, I'll be damned if I'm going to line his pockets, and anyway, if my client has to pay that amount it might deter him from going ahead.
A short time later Frederick meets with John again and explains that some shyster has registered his name, he's a cybersquatter you know, they are a big problem, but I've got a great idea, if we just put a "THE" before the name we can register a domain for £5, it won't make any difference we can still seo it and everything will be perfect.

Roll forward a few years.

John is an experienced business man and THExxxxxxxxxxx.co.uk business grew better year on year than he could have ever wished for, due mostly to his online presence but also to his very industrious nature and by 2008 80% of his 400% increased turnover was now attributed to the internet.
One day out of the blue John, who by now is very internet savvy, finds he's losing traffic and business to someone who is using xxxxxxxxxxx.co.uk, the name he wanted in the first place and as Fredericks most lucrative client he phones up Frederick and asks him to buy the name for him for £1800, it is after all cheap to him now, cybersquatter or no cybersquatter, shyster or no shyster, I'm losing a large amount compared to my last years turnover.
Frederick phones the owner of the name and offers him £1800 which he now considers to be an obscene profit on the original registration cost.
The owner says the name isn't for sale as a competitor of Johns has recently leased it from him for £6000 per month.

The crazy thing is it's now 2012 not 2005 yet you still find plenty (the majority?) of businesses throwing their hands in the air in shock/horror at an asking price of £1,800 for a solid, relevant generic domain name exactly targetted to their core business.

I will admit (reluctantly, perhaps) that a domain name isn't a marketing silver bullet - it's not an appropriate investment for ALL businesses. However, there are enough instances out there where it's not just a "good" strategy, but possibly the BEST possible strategy (e.g. if a company is spending significantly on PPC - they could see a near-instant positive ROI, on an ongoing basis) yet most companies still can't seem to get past the "But it's more than £5?!?!" hurdle.

Anyway, great story, and thanks for sharing...

Edwin

I sold a domain today (nice deal -agreed the sale at midday paid on bacs immediately) with a company everybody has in their home and everybody has heard of. Final email from the Company exec at 4Pm today.

"NOW YOU'LL BE ABLE TO SEE WHAT DOMAINS ARE REALLY FOR!! "

An uncalled for typical British remark - you'd never get that from a Yank/German/Australian etc etc.

An uncalled for typical British remark - you'd never get that from a Yank/German/Australian etc etc.

Absolutely. The narrow-mindedness is so extreme at times, it's amazing they're able to fit even a single braincell inside their skulls...

This Exec was the Head of Marketing

HINT -Think "Clunk-Click" for just about every front door in the UK - I'm not surprised by the snide remark just dissappointed that it would only come from a UK source

Last edited:
Websaway - was this little story crafted in light of my PM earlier this morning?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great story websaway.

The crazy thing is it's now 2012 not 2005 yet you still find plenty (the majority?) of businesses throwing their hands in the air in shock/horror at an asking price of £1,800 for a solid, relevant generic domain name exactly targetted to their core business.

I have a name for sale for £500 and was approached by an individual who was trying to hide the fact that he worked for a business.

Anyway, long story short, he said the most the name was worth to him was £150. This is a national company that should have this domain address on every one of their vans, but is baulking at paying £500! The domain name is a great example of a "best marketing strategy", but they just don't see it. Or if they do, value it at the price of two new front tyres.

And if they ever buy it, I will expect a Bailey email shortly afterwards.

Edwin

I sold a domain today (nice deal -agreed the sale at midday paid on bacs immediately) with a company everybody has in their home and everybody has heard of. Final email from the Company exec at 4Pm today.

Doesn't how his comment is interpreted depend on how you were using the domain name prior to its acquisition and also the content of any previous emails you both exchanged? :) I don't disbelieve for one second that there aren't people who begrudge those who have domain names that they believe they have more entitlement to. However without knowing more I wouldn't want to pass a judgment here.

I imagine people from anywhere can make that comment and his choice of words might be more related to your specific discussions beforehand rather than because he is from a particular country!:)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Great story websaway.

I have a name for sale for £500 and was approached by an individual who was trying to hide the fact that he worked for a business.

Anyway, long story short, he said the most the name was worth to him was £150. This is a national company that should have this domain address on every one of their vans, but is baulking at paying £500! The domain name is a great example of a "best marketing strategy", but they just don't see it. Or if they do, value it at the price of two new front tyres.

And if they ever buy it, I will expect a Bailey email shortly afterwards.

Are you sure ? A national company are going to think very hard about what they put on their vans and I can't see if it was that good that despite all that's been said about buyers they would not have bit your hand off at £500.

Are you sure ? A national company are going to think very hard about what they put on their vans and I can't see if it was that good that despite all that's been said about buyers they would not have bit your hand off at £500.

You've obviously got more faith in big business than I do ;)

No matter how big the company, it is individuals who make decisions and many of those individuals don't really know what they are doing.

And even the biggest of companies don't always think hard enough about what they put on their vans - as Yodel's rebranded vans quickly discovered in Northern Ireland.

Last edited:
You've obviously got more faith in big business than I do ;)

No matter how big the company, it is individuals who make decisions and many of those individuals don't really know what they are doing.

And even the biggest of companies don't always think hard enough about what they put on their vans - as Yodel's rebranded vans quickly discovered in Northern Ireland.

This is my thinking. I was wondering how good the name was, I get conflicting messages, If the name was very good you probably would be asking more than £500 and they would, once you've got their attention be prepared to pay it. On the other hand you might think it a good name and it may not be, but then why would they be interested at all, or enough to pay £150. It is a good case study. It's the only way to gauge what's going on in the real world. The other case may be that these are middle men who freelance for companies and try to buy whatever relevant names they can for knock down prices and do have the final say with purchases and expenditure, these people would be cloaked and you wouldn't know who they are or where they operate.

Too many business owners have mindsets stuck in the 20th century.
They spend huge sums in advertising and branding, even online on schemes like adwords. But they fail to see that a solid domain is the natural extension of their business in the online world.

Reminds me of a great blog post "How Madison Avenue let down Corporate America and how both failed".

Just clarify for me - Is the original story actually true and is the original poster one of the parties involved?

The story has a number of factors that don't add up - the majority of web designers I think would actually explain the domain name dilemna to John and let him weigh the options and make the decision. If the domain name is now being leased for £6000 a month (would it be good business practice to disclose this to a 3rd party?) that's a phenomenal increase in value that the original owner himself clearly didn't expect.

My own experience is that I've been quoted ridiculous prices for domains (not by people on this forum I add) in a niche where I'm certainly more knowledgable than the domain owner. The domains are still parked many years later and will be long after the domain owner is pushing up daisies. For every domain that people won't buy because they wrongly think it's overpriced there's another one that is vastly overpriced.

Last edited:
All too true. They'll pay £500 for a 2"x2" corner ad in a throwaway glossy insert to a paper only a fraction of the populace read, and a smaller fraction even actually get past the front & back few pages.

Yet they won't invest a similar amount in a domain which will be either brandable or highly descriptive, or both.

It is changing, albeit slowly, and the crushed marketing & development budgets of many businesses isn't helping.

the majority of web designers I think would actually explain the domain name dilemna to John and let him weigh the options and make the decision.
That's what one would expect, but many many web designers are in fact incompetent, even in their own field. They don't get the full picture either.
In general they despise domain speculators whom they perceive as parasites.
Regardless of the ultimate interests of their clients you can bet they will suggest using a 'creative' domain or the next best alternative like the hyphenated version.

You have to understand that corporations missed the boat precisely because of the bad advice or lack of advice from their webdesigners. Who else was supposed to advise them when great names were still available for a song ?

I would say that webdesigners also have a tendency to minimize the importance of domain names, instead they prefer to say it's all about SEO and their 'secret' tricks and skills of course, for which they will happily charge you ;)
To admit that a domain can make a difference would diminish the importance of their work.

Few people still understand the power of domains, even among domainers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom